Innovative Marine Aquariums

Octopus Prime 150 - only we have it!

Premiumaq

Is there a reason both the Reef Octopus 130 and 150 look almost identical to the Vertex Omega 130 and 150, respectively?

The Vertex skimmers have Sicce pumps and their 'trademark' titanium screws.

Other than that they look as if they were made in the same factory, same assembly line, even.

Did the German guys step out of the building for a week, and the Chinese guys say, "Quick, lets make our own real quick"...

Well, not that exacly, they would say whatever that is in Chinese, of course.

I guess its all fair, Im modding my Vertex 150 with Reef Octopus parts.

The Vertex skimmers have Sicce pumps and their 'trademark' titanium screws.

Other than that they look as if they were made in the same factory, same assembly line, even.

Did the German guys step out of the building for a week, and the Chinese guys say, "Quick, lets make our own real quick"...

Well, not that exacly, they would say whatever that is in Chinese, of course.

I guess its all fair, Im modding my Vertex 150 with Reef Octopus parts.

Oh goodess no. That's now how it works at all.

You see it will work in one of two ways.

Either the chinese will aquire a few to break down and rebuild with a few tweaks to make it different enough or they will have a fellow overseas call them and describe what the device looks like over the phone and they will make it as best they can per given description.

And no chinese company has anything to fear from any company trying to sue them for and infringement of design protection laws be it patent or copyright. The chinese government will simply insist repeatedly that it doesn't look anything like the product it's clearly a copy of. Though products that tend to get to those legal battles tend to not leave China.

Archaic,

China does not respect our, or Germany's, patent or trademark laws. Copyright is for other stuff like books and music.

The Vertex Omega's are actually made in China with Vertex Germans there at the plant to oversee the process.

This does not look like a copy job, it looks like they used the exact same molds.

I understand outsourcing. This is "insourceing".

While China may not respect our laws, we do, and the Germans do. Expect more of this story in the future, it would be easy for the Germans to prevent these Reef Octopi skimmers from being sold here, if they care.

I dont think this is similar to SCA stealing from Bubble Magus who stole from somebody else, thus not litigatable.

Watch "MACNA 2013: Vertex Omega Skimmers - BRStv Product" on YouTube

MACNA 2013: Vertex Omega Skimmers - BRStv Product:

Jeremy B.

The low down on the wine glass body design.....

The wine glass body design was actually first introduced by Royal-Exclusiv with their Bubble King Double Cone skimmer in 2011. When Vertex and Royal-Exclusiv were ending their agreement in 2012 Vertex started their own manufacturing plant in China. One of their first products to come out of that plant in China was the Omega 150 with the same wine glass body design that the Bubble King Double Cone has. At that point other manuf's started transitioning over to this same body design, such as Bubble Magus, Octopus with their POV skimmer line, and one or two other small ones that never really took off.

Different manufacturers have developed technology in protein skimmers for years that seem to make great advancements and lead all manuf's down that path. For example:

- H&S was the first to use the pinwheel impeller, and Euro-Reef brought that to us here in the US, with others following suit.

- Royal-Exclusiv was the first company to use bubble plates in their skimmers

- Royal-Exclusiv invented the original cone skimmer, and eventually the wine glass body

About every facet of a protein skimmer has been an idea of one company, and utilized by every other company out there.

The current Prime skimmer, which we feel will be one of the better 6" body protein skimmers on the market now due to the very well matched air draw to body size ratio of the pump, is going to be one heck of a setup on systems up to about ~150g, regardless of how much it looks like another brand or not.

I'm pretty sure specs on octo version pump isn't as good as the vertex numbers. I would like to see them tested side by side. If gonna copy at least change the fn color or something

Jeremy B.

The Vertex colors were actually copied off of Bubble King, so again it seems to be a cycle.

In regards to the specs of the pump which I'm assuming you're referring to air draw, having a skimmer that is balanced and proportionate with air draw and water flow relative to the body size is much better than just having as much air draw as you can. Having said that, I have not tested these two side by side yet, but I will be very soon to see how they stack up with one another. I do foresee the Prime being a much easier skimmer to dial in and adjust, as the air flow will not overpower the size of the body and neck. I'll certainly post more details once I'm able to test them like this.

BTW - love your shallow rimless tank, the branch rock in there looks awesome!

Thanks guy. Yeah the vertex can be a little tricky at first to dial in. I would love see a comparison one day of the two. In the end I think either one for the cost hard to beat.

Thanks again for taking time here

They are shaped like wine bottles.

I don't think I've seen a wine glass shaped like a wine glass skimmer.

• 1 month later...

Are you selling the Prime 130?

Website has Prime 150 and Prime 200, no 130.

I have been breaking in my Vertex 150 on a reef I bought from a fellow NR. Its a lightly stocked 40B, that Ill be transferring into an ADA 90P same dimensions in metric really..

I dont need that much power and wanted to check out the Prime 130.

I swear back in May I saw a 130. None now.

Checking on it, and will post back ASAP.

I cant find it with Google, Im pretty sure I saw one back when you unveiled these.

Ill check my emails from you.

Thanks

I think that I read that the 150 was rated for 130 gallons, and that stuck in my mind there was a smaller model.

Okay, it took me a minute to figure out where you may have seen a 130, and it took Tech's response back to me to understand:

"I think he has that confused with the Vertex 130. The Prime comes in 150 and 200... and I have not heard any mention of plans for a unit smaller than the 150."

I hope this clears it up for you, and saves you another night of fruitless searching on Google for a nonexistent skimmer model.

Archived