Cultivated Reef

Current Orbit Marine LED

Paul3x16

Same, i was skeptical about the light output, but for a newbie and starting out. I pulled the trigger and bought one for my 20L and so far it's doing the job. Though I don't have sps or even lps yet it's growing my zoas, mushroom and anemone pretty good! I doubt it'll have trouble growing some sps with right placement.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still running mine over my 20 long and I'm having mixed results. I bought two torches with one being about 4" from the top and the other is 6" from the light and they aren't doing very well after a couple of weeks. They each have two heads and on one side the tissue has begun to recede and is leaving just the skeleton. I also have a platygora where part of it has died. I don't think this is due to the light though. When I was taking it off of the frag plug I cracked it a bit and I think that's what caused that section to die. The other corals are doing very well. Have ricordeas, hammers, zoas, acans, favia, chalice, and a monastrea. So far the only ones that are doing poorly are the two torches and the chunk of the platygora. Calcium is around 400, alk is around 9.5-10, and mag is 1400.

Markburns43

Wow what a coincidence man. I bought a gold torch same thing, half bailed on me my hMmer and frogspawn are doing awsome. But the torch started receding across . Params are 8.2 ph kh 9 undectable phospahtes nitrates were alittle high at 20 but i did make a couple 2 gallon changes spaced a day now im at 5 to 10 ppm , calcium 420 440 no test for mag yet. FLow is medium and i placed it on the bed and lowered my lights to 70 percent and i found this to help. I read alittle torches can be finicky with high nitrates but not 100 percent sure. I have it in a 10 gallon using the 18 inch marine orbit.

Wow what a coincidence man. I bought a gold torch same thing, half bailed on me my hMmer and frogspawn are doing awsome. But the torch started receding across . Params are 8.2 ph kh 9 undectable phospahtes nitrates were alittle high at 20 but i did make a couple 2 gallon changes spaced a day now im at 5 to 10 ppm , calcium 420 440 no test for mag yet. FLow is medium and i placed it on the bed and lowered my lights to 70 percent and i found this to help. I read alittle torches can be finicky with high nitrates but not 100 percent sure. I have it in a 10 gallon using the 18 inch marine orbit.

I think I may have to give that a shot. It is the side closest to the light that is hurt on both of them. One of my hammers is directly below the light and it's doing pretty well. Looks like a little pom pom just sitting in the flow. Nitrates are still right at 0 according to my API test kit. Right now I have my blues and whites at 100% and I may cut that down by 30%.

I have one of the 36" over a Breeder tank growing sps. I post a pic later when I get a chance.

What are your settings and how far is that from the light?

100% blues 75% whites since the light sits on the frame I placed it about mid way in the tank.

If anyone is interested on learning more about leds watch the 2014 MACNA video from Nick Klase.

https://youtu.be/C7rpUQEorDU

Wow, that's awesome. So far, one of the heads on my torch has died but the other one looks great. The other torch has receded in and the tentacles aren't extended any more. I had them at 100% each but now I've knocked them down to 70% so hopefully at least one will survive.

Markburns43

Yep same here, right side of my torch is all pissed again and receded in but bot losing polyps. It seems like a losing battle:( im kinda pissed just because the mobey i spent on it.

Left hand side i can see right down into the skeleton

I still have my lights at 75 100 now , and it seemed when night came around it was happier which i why i lowereed them still not having much luck it seems

Yep same here, right side of my torch is all pissed again and receded in but bot losing polyps. It seems like a losing battle:( im kinda pissed just because the mobey i spent on it.

Left hand side i can see right down into the skeleton

I still have my lights at 75 100 now , and it seemed when night came around it was happier which i why i lowereed them still not having much luck it seems

Yea, ended up tossing one of my torches last night. It's brown jelly disease:/ Still have the whites and blues at 70% but will be doing an iodine bath later on today as well as a nice water change which should hopefully help it out. I'm also going to try and frag off the dead head and hopefully that will help as well.

I have the 36" one. Looks great, but doesn't have the punch to reach the bottom of my 30" deep tank. So I'm keeping it as a ramp up/down light along with my MH/T5 combo.

Storm mode is cool. :)

Yea, I would not recommend this tank for anything deeper than 16". Even at that depth, you're going to be severely limited by what you can grow at the sand bed. Even in my little 20 long which is 12" deep I only have some xenia and zoas on the sand bed. I also have some zoas about 6" from the light and they are doing very well there so even that isn't too much light for them. In the future I'll probably upgrade and I'm thinking of either getting a Nano Box Duo or a pair of AI Primes.

So I have been using the 18-24 inch model on a fluval edge for about five months. For this shallow tank the light is awesome. My blues are on at 100 percent with ramp up and down for 10 hours a day. My whites are on for five hours a day and ramp up to 45 percent.

Currently everything is growing:

Lps - acans, Duncan, favia, hammer, cristata, blastos,

Softies - Zoas, palys, rhodactis, ricordia, Yuma, and your standard mushies

Sps - unknown acro frag - looks awesome great pe, bonsai, poker star monti, reverse superman monti, a pink monti with blue polyps, blue Stylophora, birds of paradise

Also some meteor shower cyphastrea and a maxima clam that was just added recently but doing well.

Just to edit on my sand bed which is about 9 inches from the light I have 3-4 acans, Duncan's, Stylophora, rhodactis, mushies, cyphastrea, blastos and zoa. My birds of paradise was on sand bed and growing and was just recently moved.

• 5 months later...

I have this on a newly established 10 gallon standard rimmed tank (20in long, 12 inch deep). Running at stock 100% blue 100% white. Is this too intense for future plans of shrooms zoas and torches?

• 6 months later...
Bldgengineer

I hate to bring this back from the dead but for a standard 10 gallon tank picked up at a petsmart or whatever(20"x10"x12") this seems like almost a perfect upgrade or addition if you buy one at a $1/gal special,at the current price of ~$100. Am I wrong? It just looks like from people's experiences that you could grow pretty much whatever you want with it.

What I'd also like to know is how a clear tank lid would affect this light. Would it fragment the light output all over the place? Especially with condensation built up all over it?

My concern would be escaping fish and invertebrates and evaporation. If a clear glass lid isn't a good idea for a light like this, how would you guys handle the excessive evaporation and escapees?

• 8 months later...

I hate to bring this back from the dead but for a standard 10 gallon tank picked up at a petsmart or whatever(20"x10"x12") this seems like almost a perfect upgrade or addition if you buy one at a $1/gal special,at the current price of ~$100. Am I wrong? It just looks like from people's experiences that you could grow pretty much whatever you want with it.

What I'd also like to know is how a clear tank lid would affect this light. Would it fragment the light output all over the place? Especially with condensation built up all over it?

My concern would be escaping fish and invertebrates and evaporation. If a clear glass lid isn't a good idea for a light like this, how would you guys handle the excessive evaporation and escapees?

I would think by an ATO and egg crates/light diffusers

Archived