SaltCritters.com

Current Orbit Marine LED

Paul3x16

So what you guys think about this light

Right from the start, there’s a lot to love about the Orbit Marine. It’s simple, yet fully controllable. Thin and sleek, yet powerful and bright. It can do things you never thought an aquarium light could do – all programmed from the comfort of your couch.

By combining the industry’s first Dual Daylight and Dual Actinic LED spectrums with our innovative Ramp Timer Pro™ LED controller, Current USA offers a complete 24 hour aquarium lighting solution. Now you can simulate a gradual sunrise, sunset and customized moonlight like never before. Designed specifically for saltwater aquarium environments, the Orbit Marine is the perfect choice for marine aquarists at any level.

Amazing control

Featuring control and dynamic lighting aspects you’ll have to see to believe, there is almost no limit to what you can do. The Orbit Marine includes our powerful Ramp Timer Pro LED controller with wireless IR (infrared) remote, providing two independent light channels to program:

OrbitMarine-Hero2.jpg

• 24 hour on/off time, ramp up and dim down duration (0-30 minutes)
  • Minimum and maximum intensity (0-100%), color adjustment
  • Adjustable moon light color, brightness and duration
  • On-demand weather effects including cloud cover, storm with lightning and fading moonlight

Additional memory settings allow up to four customized lighting schedules you can access at any time with one touch. We’ve even pre-programmed two common lighting schedules and two coral acclimation modes to make it easy for your corals to adjust to their new lights. The backlit LCD screen is a thing of beauty, easy-to-read, and makes it simple to program using the IR remote.

Twice the spectrum, twice the effects

The Orbit Marine packs plenty of power thanks to the industry’s first Dual Daylight and Dual Actinic multi-chip LEDs. By incorporating two channels of dual color spectrums, we’ve created a light fixture producing eye popping colors with vibrant shimmer. The combination of 8,000K/12,000K white along with 445nm/460nm actinic blue creates the perfect spectrum for marine fish, inverts, live rock and corals to fluoresce like never before. Utilizing 120 degree lenses, the light spreads uniformly over your entire tank and color blends extremely well. Packaged in a sleek aluminum housing, the Orbit Marine is a brilliant lighting solution engineered for maximum tank enjoyment.

The perfect fit

Sliding docking legs allow quick and easy adjustments for a wide variety of installations. Easy to install, you can always add additional fixtures to your tank and operate them using a single remote.

Low voltage, super safe LEDs

Low, 12V DC, IP65 rated LEDs, making them super safe for aquarium use. 120 degree dispersion angle for optimal spread and color blending.

fish-coral.jpg

hand.jpg

• Each Orbit Marine LED system Includes:

• 1 Orbit Marine LED fixture with attached adjustable docking mounts
  • 1 Ramp Timer Pro with Wireless LED remote control
  • 1 12V DC UL transformer

• Benefits:

• Dual Daylight and Dual Actinic spectrums for vibrant color, growth and shimmer
  • 24 hour gradual sunrise, sunset and moonlighting creates a natural rhythmic light cycle
  • Slow ramp up prevents light shock, gently acclimates fish to bright LEDs

• Features

• Fully controllable, includes Ramp Timer Pro with wireless IR remote
  • Thin, sleek aluminum housing
  • Plug-and-play, easy to program, internal memory
  • Adjustable docking mounts fit on a wide variety of aquarium sizes
  • Low voltage, 12VDC and IP65 water resistant, safe for aquariums

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Jeradmccarty
Can this fixture handle SPS in a shallow tank (12 inches)?

I have a 20 long mixed reef tank and I have two of these fixtures on it and it grows my sps like bananas, I couldn't believe that they were actually going to grow good with it but they are growing tall and thick very fast and they actually have much better coloration and polyp extension than they did with my previous DIY led set up. With shallow reef tanks I would highly recommend, softies and mid grade lps I would say one light will do fine, sps I would say two of the same fixture just to cover extra ground but great fixture all around and heat programming.

A couple of guys have this at work on their tanks (Fluval Spec V) and they look really amazing. They are super bright for their size and price range, but I would probably avoid SPS except for the lowest-light varieties, and at the topmost portion of the tank. But for everything else in a small/shallow tank, I don't think you can go wrong.

Based on their tanks, I was going to get this one. But I began to want a bigger tank (Nuvo 16) and I didn't want to be limited by the light. I figured that it was better to spend more money at the start than spend even more money upgrading if I wanted something brighter later.

Jeradmccarty

A couple of guys have this at work on their tanks (Fluval Spec V) and they look really amazing. They are super bright for their size and price range, but I would probably avoid SPS except for the lowest-light varieties, and at the topmost portion of the tank. But for everything else in a small/shallow tank, I don't think you can go wrong.

I currently have a 20 long with two current usa marine orbit LED fixtures on it.

3.) frags of purple fuzzy acrapora

3.) frags or ORA red planet acrapora

1.) unknown baby blue/neon green based acrapora and they are growing like wild fire.

My friend has a par meter and we have tested my tank out

Top of water is 12 inches

12" - 500 par

6" - 325 par

Top of sand bed 12" down - 80-100 par depending if center of tank or edges of tank

Now as you can see yes there is a dramatic drop in par with this fixture but for a shallow tank 24" in height and under, this fixture will work just fine for most anything, and yes I'm sure that there are some sps corals out there that still might not be as aggressively growing like it would under another higher powered led fixture but it will still do the trick. I love my two led orbit marines and there programming is like no other for the price.

I do think that the new reefbreeders led fixture that's coming out http://reefbreeders.com/shop/superlux/ will probably blow the orbit marine out of the water because it's roughly around the same price, I was originally going to get the value led but I wanted programming and I didn't want to have to construct a hanger for the led as well.

• 1 month later...
Groove-Colo

Admittedly a noobie here but is there any opinion/evidence that the additional spectrum helps most LPS/SPS? It's seems like there has been some reasonably decent success with most corals for 8k/12k LEDs only vs adding as much as the following,

420nm 3500K WW 450nm 4500K NW 480nm 7500K CW 495nm 10000K CW 520nm 14000K CW 630nm 20000K CW

If one (like myself) were to supplement my Current Orbit Marine for an 18x18x18 cube (Marineland frameless cube) 25g, should one consider something other than LED??? What might that be? Suggestions welcome.

I love mine, also on a 12 gallon long, beats messing with DIY fixtures def saved me ton of times for other DIY projects.

Those are just toys bro.

#### it, get a serious device man. Look into reefbreeders.com or reefradiance.com

...or something like that

All LED fixtures are "toys" at this point IMO. Constantly telling everyone which shade of what color LED is the best, one month it's one thing, next month it's another. This brand, that brand, this shade of red now this shade of green, I say put a t5 vho over it and pick out your ATI bulbs and call it a day.

Groove-Colo

Formula462, I'm kinda with you. How does one claim "full spectrum" or "UV" when each LED is lighting one and only one color temp? It seems to me that something that actually burns can produce a wider range of wavelengths therefore simulating "real" light in a better way. Admitted I'm a noob and no lighting engineer so, it'd be great for something to correct me here.

The biggest gain one gets from LEDs is the florescence of the corals and the power comsumption reduction, right?

12g long tanks? Man, those must be relatively shallow <12"???

The Mr. Aqua 12g Longs are 35.4″ x 8.3″ x 9.4″ :)

I actually do not run it at 100%....when I did it bleached some of my stuff. I run it 30% day light and 50% blue.

I have an 8 gallon BioCube, I am wanting to remove the hood and add this light, unfortunately my tank is only 13 inches wide... if I made a mount to hang above the tank will the lights be too strong for my 8 gallon?

I have these lights on my 10gal and they work great.

Corals:

favia, acan, hammer, zoes and two sps frags.

Its has grown everything really well

• 5 months later...
jedimasterben

Hi, I just want to follow up. My tank is 20 L with the dimension of 12.5"L x 30.25"W x 13"H. With just one fixture, would it support SPS in this shallow tank?

No, you'll need a minimum of two of them.

No, you'll need a minimum of two of them.

this thread is super old, the tank i got these lights for is going to be my sump tank for my new 55 gallon long, i have had two of these lights on my 20 long since this thread started and my acroporas have boomed, this light is really a decent light for shallow tanks, nothing above 24 inches in height, i would highly recommend 2 of these above a shallow tank if you are on a budget and the controller that comes with it is amazing. i bought a reef breeders photon 48 for my 55 long so I'm making a huge leap in led lighting for my new tank.

• 2 weeks later...

How is the color spectrum to the eye?

My current tank is heavy on the royal/blue and UV to make the corals pop

Does this light give corals a good glow?
I'm debating getting one for a novo 24 that i'm upgrading to :)

I have one of these lights over a 20 long for a year now and they are pretty good - Im moving to a 30 (16" tall) and am a little worried about these lights alone so I may add something else to them cuz I love the controller.

I have one of these lights over a 20 long for a year now and they are pretty good - Im moving to a 30 (16" tall) and am a little worried about these lights alone so I may add something else to them cuz I love the controller.

if you had two of these lights over a 30 gallon you should be fine, but you will want to use them at full blast. maybe add a third if your worried but it should be good enough with two if your only going to do softies. if you wanna do hard corals then do three

Archived