inTank Media Baskets

Bluefish Controller User Manual

SpencerShepard

SpencerShepard

Spencer -

I got my Bluefish controller and a breakout board from Steve's today. Hooked up and channel 2 on the breakout board is not working. Originally I got the whites to work on Channel 1, could not get blues to work on Channel 2. I spent about 90 minutes troubleshooting, then tried swapping the wires - now the blues work fine on Channel 1, but I can not get the whites to work on Channel 2. Any suggestions?

Hmm...sorry about that. Can you shoot me an email? spencer@blueworldaquariums.com

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally figured out … it was a bad cable between the breakout board and the controller. As soon as I switched cables it started working. I never thought to try a different cable yesterday. It is 100% working now!

SpencerShepard

I finally figured out … it was a bad cable between the breakout board and the controller. As soon as I switched cables it started working. I never thought to try a different cable yesterday. It is 100% working now!

That is the first bad cable I have heard of. I probably wouldn't have even thought to ask....so good work! Email me your shipping address and I will send you a replacement cable.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1K range is actually on the cheap side for a tank that size. I think mine is up to ~$1400 for my 80.

So, the bigger tank is on again. We found a used 120 gallon tank off of Craigslist (48x24x24). It was almost too good to be true, I couldn't pass it up - tank (drilled, dual mega flow overflows, dual returns, glass lids), stand and canopy - very cheap. No lights, no sump. So the Christmas project is to get this cleaned up, retrofitted, build the sump and ready to go by 1/5/15 (back to work day).

I was going to go with Rapid LED Onyx fixtures, and modify the canopy to allow them to be mounted in that, and of course I knew from the Blueifsh page, that the Onyx fixtures worked with the Bluefish controller ... but Rapid LED is now saying the Onyx fixtures are out of stock ... of course!

Jumped over to BML.com instead - leaning that way now. Any idea if their fixtures work with Bluefish? It looks like they have the same mono cable connector that works with Bluefish.

So, the bigger tank is on again. We found a used 120 gallon tank off of Craigslist (48x24x24). It was almost too good to be true, I couldn't pass it up - tank (drilled, dual mega flow overflows, dual returns, glass lids), stand and canopy - very cheap. No lights, no sump. So the Christmas project is to get this cleaned up, retrofitted, build the sump and ready to go by 1/5/15 (back to work day).

I was going to go with Rapid LED Onyx fixtures, and modify the canopy to allow them to be mounted in that, and of course I knew from the Blueifsh page, that the Onyx fixtures worked with the Bluefish controller ... but Rapid LED is now saying the Onyx fixtures are out of stock ... of course!

Jumped over to BML.com instead - leaning that way now. Any idea if their fixtures work with Bluefish? It looks like they have the same mono cable connector that works with Bluefish.

Excited for you on the tank.

SpencerShepard

Yes they should be, but we use stereo cables. You might need to do some wiring, or a stereo to L R splitter. I haven't looked into their connectors in much detail.

jedimasterben

Yes they should be, but we use stereo cables. You might need to do some wiring, or a stereo to L R splitter. I haven't looked into their connectors in much detail.

BML strips dim all at once, so a stereo cable should do fine since it will still only send one signal to it.

Excited for you on the tank.

I am VERY excited about this!

Just placed the order with BML.com. They recommended two 48" long fixtures for the tank, and provided some DIY mounting ideas to attach the fixtures inside of the canopy without having to modify the canopy. I went with a 12k and their Super Actinic, both in the higher intensity XB configurations. Just slightly more than the Onyx fixtures would have cost me.

I was tempted to go with a 3rd UV fixture, but for now I figure I'll see what I can do with the Magenta and UV Stunners that are in the nanoCube hood. I might be able to at least get a little red in there to simulate early sunrise / sunset with the stunners. And with BML's mounting ideas, I figured out how I can mount the Stunners at the same level with the BML fixtures.

Spencer -

Trying to order two power dimmers online - site won't allow me to select / calculate shipping costs, so it keeps dumping out, and I can't complete the transaction.

I ended up going with 3 BML fixtures - a 12k, a 14k and their Super Actinic. I'm going to want the 12k & 14k to be on the same channel as "white".

Will either of these approaches work to connect them to the same channel?

1) Take bare wire from both fixtures and attach them to one set of connections on a breakout board (Channel1)? So there would be 4 wires, into the screw connections for Channel1, then each connector would plug into a fixture.

2) Take one connection from the breakout board, go to a splitter, then two separate connector cables from there going to the 2 fixtures?

The ultimate plan for lighting on the new tank is -

Channel1 - Whites (12k & 14k BML fixtures)

Channel2 - Super Actinic (BML fixture)

Channel3 - Stunner Magenta (for sunrise / sunset)

Channel4 - Stunner UV

Channel5 - Stunner Royal Blue (as moonlights)

If I need to put the 12k & 14k fixtures on separate channels, I could string the Stunner Magenta & UV strips together.

SpencerShepard

If they are indeed mono cables used for the BML fixtures, I think you're on the right track with your first option. Might as well put your BML Actinic strip on Channel 2 of the breakout board to get full use.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my new Build My LED fixtures today. Tried hooking up the Bluefish to them - not so successful ...

I connected them like this -

Channel 1 - Whites (12k & 14k tied together in Channel 1 of breakout board)

Channel 2 - Super Actinics (Channel 2 of breakout board)

I can control the BML fixtures up and down, but they won't go to completely dark. At 0% they're still fairly bright.

I have all channels on the Bluefish board set to 5V.

Any advice?

jedimasterben

The BML drivers probably do not dim to zero. You'll need to use a relay (like a wall timer or on a reef controller) to turn them fully off.

Figured it out!

Need to use the Power-PWM boards. Once I hooked the BML fixtures up to the Power-PWM boards, I'm getting complete darkness at 0%.

This actually solves a problem was well - the power bricks that came with the BML fixtures are kind of big. The new Bluefish Power-PWM boards have a splitter, so I only need one brick per 2 fixtures. Space savings in the stand / sump area.

I'm going to need to buy another Power-PWM board, but that's considerably cheaper than an Apex controller!

Going to ultimately end up with separate channels for each of the Whites this way, but that also means I end up either having to lose the UV Stunners, or the Moonlights. The TrueLumens Moonlights need a smaller transformer than the Stunners. Can only lay them out like this -

Board One

Channel 1 12k Whites

Channel 2 14k Whites

Board Two

Channel 3 Super Actinics

Channel 4 Magenta Stunners

Board Three

Channel 5 TrueLumens Moonlights

Channel 6 EMPTY

OR

Board Three

Channel 5 UV Stunners

Channel 6 Blue Stunners (as moonlights)

jedimasterben

This actually solves a problem was well - the power bricks that came with the BML fixtures are kind of big. The new Bluefish Power-PWM boards have a splitter, so I only need one brick per 2 fixtures. Space savings in the stand / sump area.

This is probably a BAD idea. There is a reason that they include the power supplies they do. How many watts are your BML strips rated for, and how many watts does each power supply give?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived