4x8_Vertical.png

Bluefish User Guide
Getting Started

Lighting Controller

Configure lighting channels:

Configure lighting options:

Initial Hardware Setup

1. Configure output voltage
Your Bluefish controller is configured to output 10V on its lighting output channels by default. If you are using the device with drivers that require 5V (Mean Well LDD drivers, for example), this could damage your drivers.

To change your output voltage:

• Disconnect from power and remove Imp card from device.
  • Remove the 4 screws in the back cover of the device.
  • Remove the back cover and circuit board.
  • Remove the 2 screws holding the circuit board to the cover.
  • Move the adjustment jumpers to the required position. These are located on the back of the circuit board, and there is one jumper for each channel. Gently pull the jumper straight out from the circuit board, and place it in the new position. Do not use any tools to remove the jumpers, as they can be easily damaged. As indicated, the left position is for 5V, and the right position is for 10V.
  • Replace circuit board and back cover.

Installing the App

• Search for “Bluefish” in the iOS App Store on your iPhone or iPad, or Google Play for your Android device.
  • Install the app

Connecting the App to the Controller (BlinkUp)

• Open the app, and tap “Register a New Device” at the login screen
  • Enter the required fields to complete registration
  • Select your WiFi network, and enter your network password (do not start BlinkUp yet)
  • Gently insert the Imp card into the slot at the top of the Bluefish device so that it locks into place
  • Connect the power supply to the Bluefish device (do not make connection to your lights yet)
  • Ensure the light at the edge of the Imp card is blinking, and tap “Start BlinkUp” in the app
  • Cover the edge of the Imp card with your mobile device screen for the duration of the BlinkUp process (about 10 seconds). Your mobile device screen will flash rapidly during this process, as it it transmits data to your Bluefish device.
  • Once BlinkUp is complete, your Bluefish device will be connected to your login, and accessible remotely with no additional configuration.
  • Select an option from the Quick Setup menu to automatically apply settings for common light setups.

Note: If you are outside North America, your WiFi network must be on channel 1-11.

Lighting: Channel Setup

Each channel is individually configurable to allow use with mixed lighting setups. Ensure your channels are set up correctly before connecting to your lighting product(s).

PWM Mode:
PWM is a digital method of lighting control. Check your lighting specifications to determine whether you need PWM, or 0-10V (PWM off).

Common PWM products: Meanwell LDD drivers, Nano Box fixtures, Bluefish PowerPWM
Common 0-10V products: Mean Well ELN drivers, Kessil A360 pendants

Display Name:
You can assign a custom name to each channel for easy reference. (eg. Blue, White, etc.) This name will be displayed throughout the app.

Display Color:
Set a custom color to represent each channel within the app. This color is for reference only, and has no bearing on the actual light output.

Pendant Time Shift:
You can add a time delay to individual channels. For example, if you had a 3 channel setup (left, middle, and right), you could set Pendant Time Shifts of 60 mins, 30 mins, and 0 mins respectively. This is useful for simulating the movement of the sun with pendant style setups. Paired with Natural Sun mode, this can create a very realistic effect. Test with Fast Forward in the scenes menu.

Minimum Dimming Level:
Some lighting products are not capable of 0-100% dimming. These products will have a minimum level that you can dim them to, and any further dimming will turn them off completely. Without setting a minimum dimming level, this can cause flickering and unintended behavior. You can determine the minimum dimming level for your product using Free Mode in the Scenes menu. Minimum dimming should be set to the lowest percent possible while light remains steadily on.

Lighting: Options

Morning Start Time: The time of day when your lights will begin to transition from Night Levels to Morning Levels
Morning Length: The length of time between Morning Start time and Midday
Morning Ramp Speed: The length of time it takes to transition from Night Levels to Morning Levels
Morning Levels: The light channel output/color for Morning during clear weather.

Midday Ramp Speed: The length of time it takes to transition from Morning light levels to Midday light levels
Midday Levels: The light channel output/color for Midday during clear weather. Midday Levels are also used throughout the day when Natural Sun is enabled (Morning and Evening Levels are ignored).

Evening Length: The length of time between Midday Levels, and Night Levels
Evening Ramp Speed: The length of time it takes to transition between Midday Levels to Evening Levels
Evening Levels: The light channel output/color for Evening during clear weather.

Night Start Time: The time of day when Night Levels will start
Night Ramp Speed: The length of time it takes to transition from Evening Levels to Night Levels.
Night Levels: The light channel output/color during full moon, and clear weather.

Natural Sun:
When enabled, a smooth dimming bell-curve will be applied using your Midday Levels, Morning Start Time, and Night Start Time. This creates a very natural output. Morning and Evening Levels are ignored in this mode.

Clouds:
When enabled, current weather data is used from your Simulated Location to create cloud patterns by applying dimming to your light output. Partly cloudy, mostly cloudy, haze, overcast, and rain conditions all produce unique cloud patterns with varying density, speed, and dimming.

Storms:
When enabled, thunderstorms with lightning are simulated when your Simulated Location’s current weather conditions match. Lightning color should be set under Special Settings, and Clouds should be enabled for proper effect.

Lunar Cycles:
When enabled, dimming will be applied to your Night Levels to match the moon illumination for your Simulated Location.

Sunrise/Sunset (Dynamic Photoperiod):
When either or both of these options are enabled, your photoperiod (day length) will match that of your simulated location. This changes daily, to simulate the natural variance of the day length throughout the year.

• Option A: To have a variable sunrise time, but end at your Night Start Time, enable Sunrise only.
  • Option B: To have a variable sunset time, but start at your Morning Start Time, enable Sunset only.
  • Option C: To use the sunrise and sunset times from your Simulated Location directly, enable Sunrise and Sunset (not recommended).
  • Option D: To only use your manual settings for sunrise/sunset, disable Sunrise and Sunset.

If you enjoy your tank mainly in the evening, we recommend option A. If you enjoy your tank mainly in the morning, we recommend option B.

Photography Mode:
Photography mode is a way to quickly apply pre-set light levels for taking photos. Adjust the levels in settings, and apply from the Scenes menu.

Scene Timer:
The Scene Timer prevents accidentally leaving your lights in Free Mode or other Scene. After the timer expires, the normal lighting schedule resumes.

connections.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh I'm sooooo excited :haha: are these still slated to start shipping next week? Quick question I have my fans on a relay that actuates at 3.5VDC with a nominal coil current of 89.3 mA and coil resistance 56 ohms +/- 10% is there a simple "on/off" mode for the controller or will I need to fake a sunrise/sunset etc? Thanks!

Thanks for posting this in advance. Excited to get this thing up and running on my 72 Bowfront.

I'll be using this controller for: 2 Kessil A360WE's, 1 panorama pro blue/magenta. I might add another Kessil to try a 3rd since there is some options for it.

Can you make a tutoriel for Configure output voltage 5v with pictures or video?

I take it the bluefish app is only available on the American App Store?

Ahhh I'm sooooo excited :haha: are these still slated to start shipping next week? Quick question I have my fans on a relay that actuates at 3.5VDC with a nominal coil current of 89.3 mA and coil resistance 56 ohms +/- 10% is there a simple "on/off" mode for the controller or will I need to fake a sunrise/sunset etc? Thanks!

SpencerShepard

Sorry guys....I don't think I was getting notifications for this topic!

Hmm...I don't think you're going to have enough power for your relay. You could use PowerPWM to actuate your relay. There's currently no on/off option, but I think you'll be able to do what you want with a bit of experimentation. I'll put some thought into this for a future update.

Can you make a tutoriel for Configure output voltage 5v with pictures or video?

I'll try to get this going today. Very simple though. Our beta testers had no instruction, and nobody had any issues with it.

I take it the bluefish app is only available on the American App Store?

It should be available worldwide as of yesterday.

Hmm...I don't think you're going to have enough power for your relay. You could use PowerPWM to actuate your relay. There's currently no on/off option, but I think you'll be able to do what you want with a bit of experimentation. I'll put some thought into this for a future update.

Doh, well that throws a wrench in my plans...how much current can the controller output, is that the limiting factor? I can probably find a 12VDC relay that doesn't require as much current to trip. Also any shipping updates for the pre-sale folks? Thanks

SpencerShepard

Doh, well that throws a wrench in my plans...how much current can the controller output, is that the limiting factor? I can probably find a 12VDC relay that doesn't require as much current to trip. Also any shipping updates for the pre-sale folks? Thanks

It can supply 30mA per channel. How about a logic-level mosfet instead? For an easy solution, you could replace the relay with a PowerPWM board (which uses logic-level mosfets). Set the fan channel to 0-10V (PWM off), and a minimum dimming level of 50% and that should work well.

All I can say for shipping is as soon as possible. I'm prepping shipments now and hopefully shipping by next weekend or the following week at the latest...it just depends on how quick the assembly house can turn them out.

• 3 months later...

Question on setting up a bluetooth speaker...if I set one up, will it work when storms occur, even if my tablet with the app isn't at home with the tank? I'm hoping that the speaker would establish some kind of connection with the Bluefish controller/Imp card, but perhaps that's impossible...?

Also, I'm a bit confused by the Evening Length...it says that's the length of time between Midday Levels, and Night Levels, but if you set a Night Start Time, how can that be? For instance, if my Midday levels reach their peak at 4pm, I set an Evening Length of 120 minutes, and my Night Start Time is set to 10pm - when do Night Levels begin - 120 minutes later at 6pm or the time I set, 10pm?

SpencerShepard

Question on setting up a bluetooth speaker...if I set one up, will it work when storms occur, even if my tablet with the app isn't at home with the tank? I'm hoping that the speaker would establish some kind of connection with the Bluefish controller/Imp card, but perhaps that's impossible...?

Currently the storm soundtrack only plays when you manually start the storm scene.

Also, I'm a bit confused by the Evening Length...it says that's the length of time between Midday Levels, and Night Levels, but if you set a Night Start Time, how can that be? For instance, if my Midday levels reach their peak at 4pm, I set an Evening Length of 120 minutes, and my Night Start Time is set to 10pm - when do Night Levels begin - 120 minutes later at 6pm or the time I set, 10pm?

Night levels start at your night start time. Essentially morning start is the ON time, Night start is the OFF time.

Night levels start at your night start time. Essentially morning start is the ON time, Night start is the OFF time.

Thanks for the reply, but I have to ask...what does Evening Length do then? In my example above, if Midday Levels peak at 4pm, Evening Length is set to 120 minutes, and my Night Levels Start Time was set to 10pm, it sounds like the Night Levels Start Time would override the other settings and Night would begin at 10pm...if that's the case, does Evening Length not really have a use (at least not in this example)?

SpencerShepard

Thanks for the reply, but I have to ask...what does Evening Length do then? In my example above, if Midday Levels peak at 4pm, Evening Length is set to 120 minutes, and my Night Levels Start Time was set to 10pm, it sounds like the Night Levels Start Time would override the other settings and Night would begin at 10pm...if that's the case, does Evening Length not really have a use (at least not in this example)?

You're confusing me, lol. Does this help?

time-schedule-diagram.gif

You're confusing me, lol. Does this help?

time-schedule-diagram.gif

This is fantastic information! If it's not already, you should throw this on your website - would have been awesome to see as I went through the manual, etc.

Using your chart, I think my question will hopefully be easier to illustrate...in your chart example, it looks like your Evening Length is set to 360 minutes (or 6 hours, between 4 and 10 pm) and your Night Start is set to 10 pm. Is that correct?

If so, then my question would be, what happens if you change your Evening Length to 120 minutes? Does the Night Start then have to automatically adjust itself down to 7 pm?

Even though there are two separate settings for Evening Length and Night Start, it seems they're one of the same - they dictate one another. You can't set one without affecting the other. They both serve the same purpose. Etc. I'm sure I'm missing something, but from what I see, it seems to be the case. If your Midday is 4pm, and Night Start is 10pm, then your Evening Length is by default 360 minutes - once you set the Night Start, the Evening Length is practically set for you, so I don't understand what changing it really does.

Hopefully all that rambling makes some sense! Thanks for helping me understand all this!

SpencerShepard

I don't think I can explain it any better than the diagram I made for you. :P

Notice that there are no settings for midday start time or evening start time. It is done this way so that the middle of the day is flexible, so that you can use dynamic sunrise/sunset without having a bunch of other settings.

I don't think I can explain it any better than the diagram I made for you. :P

Notice that there are no settings for midday start time or evening start time. It is done this way so that the middle of the day is flexible, so that you can use dynamic sunrise/sunset without having a bunch of other settings.

I was hoping my direct questions in the 2nd/3rd paragraphs in my last comment would get us away from the difficulty of long explanations, and more towards easier yes/no answers, but oh well. Confused I shall be, which is not a big concern - the controller is doing everything I need it to do!

I posed this question in another thread, but it's probably better asked here: if I've enabled the Sunrise option, and Fiji's sun rises at 6:33 am (Fiji time), and my Morning is set to start at 9am (my local time)...what happens? Will the light mimic Fiji 100% and turn on at 6:33 am (my time), overriding my Morning start-time setting? If that's how it works, is there anyway to offset the Sunrise start times (i.e. "local Fiji time + 3 hours," so if the sun rises at 6:33 am in Fiji, it'd rise at 9:33 am in my tank, etc.)?

Thanks again!

SpencerShepard

it looks like your Evening Length is set to 360 minutes (or 6 hours, between 4 and 10 pm) and your Night Start is set to 10 pm. Is that correct?

yes

If so, then my question would be, what happens if you change your Evening Length to 120 minutes? Does the Night Start then have to automatically adjust itself down to 7 pm?

no, night start would stay the same. If you only change the evening length, the time that evening starts will change. That's why there is no setting for evening start time.

Even though there are two separate settings for Evening Length and Night Start, it seems they're one of the same - they dictate one another. You can't set one without affecting the other. They both serve the same purpose. Etc. I'm sure I'm missing something, but from what I see, it seems to be the case. If your Midday is 4pm, and Night Start is 10pm, then your Evening Length is by default 360 minutes - once you set the Night Start, the Evening Length is practically set for you, so I don't understand what changing it really does.

The part I think you are missing is that there is no midday time setting; that is the part that is flexible.
jedimasterben

I was hoping my direct questions in the 2nd/3rd paragraphs in my last comment would get us away from the difficulty of long explanations, and more towards easier yes/no answers, but oh well. Confused I shall be, which is not a big concern - the controller is doing everything I need it to do!

I posed this question in another thread, but it's probably better asked here: if I've enabled the Sunrise option, and Fiji's sun rises at 6:33 am (Fiji time), and my Morning is set to start at 9am (my local time)...what happens? Will the light mimic Fiji 100% and turn on at 6:33 am (my time), overriding my Morning start-time setting? If that's how it works, is there anyway to offset the Sunrise start times (i.e. "local Fiji time + 3 hours," so if the sun rises at 6:33 am in Fiji, it'd rise at 9:33 am in my tank, etc.)?

Thanks again!

I think that you should just set your midday intensities and use the 'natural sun' setting so you don't worry about any of that lol

no, night start would stay the same. If you only change the evening length, the time that evening starts will change. That's why there is no setting for evening start time.The part I think you are missing is that there is no midday time setting; that is the part that is flexible.

I think this has helped me see the light (pun intended). So, using your chart, if the Evening Length were set to 120 minutes, my Midday Levels would then stay on until 8pm (instead of 4pm)? Assuming that's correct, I think I FINALLY get it. Thanks again.

I think that you should just set your midday intensities and use the 'natural sun' setting so you don't worry about any of that lol

Thank you! Judging from your reply, I take it the sunrise would in fact begin at 6:33 am in my example above, with no way to offset? All good if that's the case, I just want to make sure I understand how the settings work. Thanks again!

jedimasterben

Thank you! Judging from your reply, I take it the sunrise would in fact begin at 6:33 am in my example above, with no way to offset? All good if that's the case, I just want to make sure I understand how the settings work. Thanks again!

Yep, it would start actual time there. What I did was offset my time zone in the controller setting so that both sunrise and sunset for me are dynamic. Took a day to fine tune it (I was off by one time zone) but after that I haven't touched it.

Yep, it would start actual time there. What I did was offset my time zone in the controller setting so that both sunrise and sunset for me are dynamic. Took a day to fine tune it (I was off by one time zone) but after that I haven't touched it.

Now that's the kind of outside-the-box thinking I was looking for. Good idea and thanks!

jedimasterben

Now that's the kind of outside-the-box thinking I was looking for. Good idea and thanks!

Yeah, once the time zone shift was implemented, I knew exactly what to do with it :)

SpencerShepard

The intended way to offset with dynamic photoperiod is to select only one of the options for Sunrise or Sunset simulation:

Sunrise/Sunset (Dynamic Photoperiod):

When either or both of these options are enabled, your photoperiod (day length) will match that of your simulated location. This changes daily, to simulate the natural variance of the day length throughout the year.

Option A: To have a variable sunrise time, but end at your Night Start Time, enable Sunrise only.

Option B: To have a variable sunset time, but start at your Morning Start Time, enable Sunset only.

Option C: To use the sunrise and sunset times from your Simulated Location directly, enable Sunrise and Sunset (not recommended).

Option D: To only use your manual settings for sunrise/sunset, disable Sunrise and Sunset.

If you enjoy your tank mainly in the evening, we recommend option A. If you enjoy your tank mainly in the morning, we recommend option B.

I think this has helped me see the light (pun intended). So, using your chart, if the Evening Length were set to 120 minutes, my Midday Levels would then stay on until 8pm (instead of 4pm)? Assuming that's correct, I think I FINALLY get it. Thanks again.

Yep, you got it!

Archived