Innovative Marine Aquariums

WTB surface skimmer ac50

Spiderguardnano

PicO Aquariums

UPDATE for the AC50:

Ok so here is what I came up with so far.

• Simple surface skimming
  • Optional float switch bracket with basic float switch included
  • Room for heater if optional float switch not used

Your thoughts?

16.jpg11.jpg14.jpg

2.jpg5.jpg4.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spiderguardnano

UPDATE for the AC50:

Your thoughts?

16.jpg11.jpg14.jpg

2.jpg5.jpg4.jpg

looks awesome pico

will the box have teeth?

will this be a glue on or a magnet?

PicO Aquariums

Currently magnet because it's just easy but I am looking into another option still.

I would like to do it without the magnet to reduce cost and make the unit more ridged when mounted.

Also i'm thinking without teeth to get better skimming but I know there is a issue with fish and whatnot.

Thoughts?

There's not much room for fish to get in but....

Looks good! How long will this be? Im gonna be using it on that tank i just got from you 12x12x9 with a ac70.

Teeth would be okay. Or we could find a way for like a very open mesh filter....like the rain gutter guard thing. But if it works well with the float valve, im happy!

UPDATE for the AC50:

Your thoughts?

16.jpg11.jpg14.jpg

2.jpg5.jpg4.jpg

Hey Chris

It looks like part of the output of the filter will fall directly onto the ato float switch. I would be afraid of that causing the ato to continually run. Maybe look into adding some sort of deflector to prevent this.

-B

And the output has to be blocked a little? Looks like water could flow right from the filter right into the box.

PicO Aquariums

Hey Chris It looks like part of the output of the filter will fall directly onto the ato float switch. I would be afraid of that causing the ato to continually run. Maybe look into adding some sort of deflector to prevent this. -B

It's just moved over a bit too far in the picture. "didn't realize when I was snapping pictures"

Another reason I don't care for the magnets. It allows the box to move in all directions.

My other version I am working on will not do that and none of them will be over into the return like it looks in the picture.

It's just moved over a bit too far in the picture. "didn't realize when I was snapping pictures"

Another reason I don't care for the magnets. It allows the box to move in all directions.

My other version I am working on will not do that and none of them will be over into the return like it looks in the picture.

Well in that case ... carry on sir :)

PicO Aquariums

Yeah sorry about that guys :P

I will be back at it for a bit tomorrow and i will see if i can get a couple new pictures.

I will make it with teeth too.

I feel like teeth w/ tall slits allow for more evaporation buffering for those that don't run an ATO. I'm not saying copy the BadFish design, but he really did have a good thing going.

I think his design with a couple holes drilled in the bottom is the ideal set-up. Holes allow the most buffering for evaporation and you get the best surface skimming. You don't have to have 100% surface skimming to get the best result, just a majority of the water being pulled from the surface.

Just a few thoughts. =)

I like the design and the magnet idea for adjustment depending on water level now just waiting for ac70 version

PicO Aquariums

If this didn't pull water in directly from the bottom that may work but you have to remember the intake extends to the bottom of this thing.

the majority of the flow would indeed come in through the bottom.

Maybe... Depends on the size of the holes.

Water takes the path of least resistance. If you use the Hagen-Poiseuille equation to determine size and create holes that are small enough to buffer evaporation when there is a "pull" from the filter (i.e. when the water has evaporated too far and is no longer coming over the top of the skim box), but are too small to allow for passive flow, the filter should receive most of it's water from the surface.

I don't think that "where" the inlet is governs the water coming in as much as the resistance of the water.

Now, I'll admit this is dependent upon how much resistance is offered to the water via the teeth as well. The design you have (which is awesome too!) has a straight weir which is most efficient.

PicO Aquariums

Got the AC70 in today so I will be making the few changes we discussed and flow testing shortly.

This is awesome,since BF went under,I've been wondering who would do something like this.

If I send you a AC20,could you do a custom one for my girlfriends 6"x6"x6" cube ? Depending on how this turns I'm down to get one for my AC50 too !!!

PicO Aquariums

Ok here's the new setup:

AC50_2.jpg

AC50_3.jpg

AC50_4.jpg

AC50_5.jpg

AC50_6.jpg

AC50_9.jpg

AC50_10.jpg

So this is the most basic this thing can get.

No magnets

This just slips on the intake pipe and done.

It is still adjustable up and down but not side to side so no worries about movement at all on this thing.

The little clip is just to even out the filtration box when hanging to keep it nice and steady.

The AC 20 and 50 will come with one for 1/4" glass and the AC 70 will have both 1/4" and 3/8" glass adapters.

Added all the requests in and i will be testing it out tomorrow. if all is well i will knock out the AC70 and 20 and away we go. i can start shipping them all ASAP.

Spiderguardnano

Ok here's the new setup:

AC50_2.jpg

AC50_3.jpg

AC50_4.jpg

AC50_5.jpg

AC50_6.jpg

AC50_9.jpg

AC50_10.jpg

So this is the most basic this thing can get.

No magnets

This just slips on the intake pipe and done.

It is still adjustable up and down but not side to side so no worries about movement at all on this thing.

The little clip is just to even out the filtration box when hanging to keep it nice and steady.

The AC 20 and 50 will come with one for 1/4" glass and the AC 70 will have both 1/4" and 3/8" glass adapters.

Added all the requests in and i will be testing it out tomorrow. if all is well i will knock out the AC70 and 20 and away we go. i can start shipping them all ASAP.

this looks awesome

what is the priced shipped?

is it possible to get a video to show how good it works when you test it

Looks nice. Would there be a larger one for more surface skimming area by chance?

If not, no big deal and I'll be in on one.

That's one bad a$$ looking piece of surface skimming machinery !! Consider me in, +1 on the priced shipped.

PicO Aquariums

this looks awesome

what is the priced shipped?

is it possible to get a video to show how good it works when you test it

Yes I will be making a video of the AC50 for everyone tomorrow

PicO Aquariums

I am thinking as follows for the price:

AC-20 $20

AC-30 $20

AC-50 $22

AC-70 $24

AC-110 $28

Shipping to domestic, it would be more for international. PM with address for international rate.

Anyone looking to start a new tank using a AquaClear HOB?

Buy a PicO naked series tank and I will throw in the skimmer box for free...

Looks nice. Would there be a larger one for more surface skimming area by chance?

If not, no big deal and I'll be in on one.

Probably not. there is just not a good way to add to it other then out to the left of the box and that gets tough to support.

Probably not. there is just not a good way to add to it other then out to the left of the box and that gets tough to support.

I figured as much, not a problem. I'll be in for one for sure, is this going to be a limited run product or a normal one for you?

Archived