Pod Your Reef

WTB surface skimmer ac50

Spiderguardnano

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spiderguardnano

I'm working something with pico aquariums if it works out would you be interested in a overflow box also?

Ive been looking for one for my ac70 it doesnt seem like he is making any at this time

Spiderguardnano

If they can do it for near the same price I'm also interested.

Definatly let me know something when you hear something something

pico will be doing a group buy

PicO Aquariums

Hey guys I can do a group buy on these once I get a working product.

I'm not sure what the price was on these before but if anyone knows please post it.

If anyone has a AC50 - AC70 they would like to send for prototyping I will send them the finished product at no cost for volunteering the filter.

Already have a volunteer for the AC70.

Also have one for the AC50

Thanks for the quick response guys.

PicO Aquariums

I will see what I can do with them. The magnets are the main cost on these so maybe i can figure out a better way to do that.

Not to mention I don't like the idea of having the impeller magnet and strong neodymium so close together.

I have a good idea in my head now but i will know more once i get hands on with them.

BattleAthletics

I will see what I can do with them. The magnets are the main cost on these so maybe i can figure out a better way to do that.

Not to mention I don't like the idea of having the impeller magnet and strong neodymium so close together.

I have a good idea in my head now but i will know more once i get hands on with them.

Zoomed has some strong magnets that are used for airline tubing fyi they're like 6$ cheapest and I wouldn't know what shipping would be I had forgotten.

PicO Aquariums

Will see what I can do PicO style with this thing when I get hands on. Just looking at pictures of them I have some great ideas already cooking.

You can make your own out of pvc if you do a search on my name

I have one on mine now doesnt really skim like a skimmer box would

• 2 weeks later...

Following along! im also interested to see how they end up dimensions wise to see if I can stuff my HOB fuge pump inside.

PicO Aquariums

20140510_135649.jpg

At Petsmart getting dog treats and I found a few other things...

Working on something now guys and gals.

I will still be using the other units being sent to me also but I figured I could get a jump start.

I searched last year for something and never found anything and here is what I did.

- Homedepot

- black PVC, cut to desired length

- PVC plug that slides in the bottom

- use a dremel and cut slots into the top

- place in tank

- place AC in PVC and turn on

- adjust buy adding more or lengthening slots

----- Total cost less than $6.00 plus time

Here are some first attempt pics, I started off drilling lines of holes and in the second gen I used a dremel and it made for a much cleaner look.

A band saw would probably work best.

0E3A13AC-7695-45EE-A356-53AAE05565AC_zps

ECE0787D-174B-4B04-B523-09C09E7F51D1_zps

79E5F01B-9073-43D5-A83F-011AF63C97C2_zps

Archived