SaltCritters.com

Wiring LDD's to Typhon Controller

Reefkid88

Does anyone have any experience doing this ? I've tried to contact BoostLED about it via emails and voicemail with no repaonse to either.

With a little guidance I know in supposed to connect the positive to the dim wire on the LDD and splice the negative lead into te negative on the driver going to the power supply,but I can't get the leds to turn on/off at the times I have set,but all the other functions work fine. Any ideas ?

jedimasterben

The LDD has one dimming pin, positive, so connect that to the positive 5v pin on the Typhon, and connect the negative pins to the main 48v power supply's COM port, not connected to the any of the driver's Vout negative.

Do you have the time set properly on the controller? Is the time past when you have it set to have them turned off? Are you sure you've connected to the 5v set of PWM pins and not the 10v?

I have the hw's not the h's. I have the positive from the controller connected to the dim wire on the driver and the negative wire of the controller connected to the negative (black wire) on the driver I guess is whew I went wrong.

Wired up how it is,the custom setting works. I can dim all channels up and down as a whole but not individually and turn off/on all channels as a whole but not individually.

jedimasterben

H and HW have the same pinouts, so the version doesn't matter.

Are you using Meep's Typhon code? As far as I know the BoostLED Typhon code doesn't even contain a test setting, unless they updated it recently.

So,I need to connect the neagative leave to the COM on the power supply and not the driver then ? Okay,I'll fix that. I went off what I had gotten from a few people and then some help from RapidLED. I've tried to contact BoostLed multiple times with no response.

No I'm not using meep's codes at all. Once I connect everything right,will that finally give me control over each channel seperately ?

jedimasterben

Yes, once everything is wired up, you set the start time for each channel, end time for each channel, maximum intensity for each channel, and ramp time for each channel (which is how long it takes to reach the set maximum intensity). Then it takes care of the rest!

I've already got all the settin locked in,so I'm good to go. I'll just swap some wire and reconnect some and I'll see how she does.

Thanks yet again for the help Ben !!

Quick question,if I need to wire to my negative leads of the typhon to the "com" terminal which on my psu is -V why would it matter if the typhon lead is spliced into the vOut on my driver ? Just curious.. Is it messing with the voltage of the driver if it's done that way ?

• 2 weeks later...
jedimasterben

Do I need to put some 10K resistors between the controller and the LDD?

Why?

Quick question,if I need to wire to my negative leads of the typhon to the "com" terminal which on my psu is -V why would it matter if the typhon lead is spliced into the vOut on my driver ? Just curious.. Is it messing with the voltage of the driver if it's done that way ?

Vout is your DC constant current circuit that the LEDs attach to.

Why?

Well the LDD boards all have the 10K pull down resistors. If not thats fine. just wondering, as when I was running the meepduino I had to add resistors. Just making sure I don't ruin any components.

jedimasterben

The pull-down resistor ties together the PWM pin and the Vin(-) pin so that if there is no active PWM signal, the LDD do not float high and instead shut off, which can save your corals if you are not running your lights at full intensity. The Arduino is natively 5v PWM like the LDD, so they don't need anything between them :)

I would assume you'd have to add resistors because it's pretty much a DIY PCB and controller correct ? As for Storms & Typhons it's already is configured and you're able to shut down each channel independtly ? Therefore cutting the power to it not letting the drivers drive at 100% like it normally would without the resistors. Am I understanding that right Ben ?

jedimasterben

Yes, that is if you are sending it signal (even the '0' signal from the controller still counts), but if you remove the dimming signal and leave the PWM wire open, if there is no 10K resistor tying it to the ground, then the LDD will float high (aka revert to full-on).

Okay. Now I know for future intrests.

Question,off topic but it's my thread lol. How do I wire a CLG to use it as a power supply using LDD's ? Or can I not do that ?

jedimasterben

Just like you would the LDD - it has Vin +, -, and ground which connects to AC power, and it has Vout + and - that connect to the LDD Vin + and -, then the LDD Vout + and - go to the LEDs.

Okay sweet. I have 2 lights coming to me and the guy is giving me a CLG for each light as a psu. Just wasn't sure how much different it was to a open frame psu.

The pull-down resistor ties together the PWM pin and the Vin(-) pin so that if there is no active PWM signal, the LDD do not float high and instead shut off, which can save your corals if you are not running your lights at full intensity. The Arduino is natively 5v PWM like the LDD, so they don't need anything between them :)

Thanks Ben, Glad to have some electrical help on here. You Da' Man!

Thanks Ben, Glad to have some electrical help on here. You Da' Man!

There's quite a few very informative and helpful people on this forum,just few are willing to stretch out the necks and help. Ben has always been helpful even when I bug him lol.

• 1 year later...

anyone using typhoon controller with two LDD drivers both LDD700 and LDD1000?

I was at one point and time,what're the questions you have ?

little scared, have not worked with electrical before....definitely will have questions....

Here are the list I have ordered yesterday. will work on the led this weekend.

1 LDD 700 HW, 1 LDD 1000 HW , 1 Typhoon controller with Typhoon output extension and heatsink. Also leds soldering kits. Here is my plan diagram below....

post-88928-0-72036000-1440471147_thumb.jpg

The 48v power supply does not connect to the Typhon. You will connect the LDD +Vin and -Vin to the 48v supply, PWM DIM will go to the Typhon output channels, and the Typhon output ground will connect to the negative output on the 48v power supply. +Vout and -Vout from the LDDs will go to the LEDs.

Archived