Coral Vue Hydros

Getting Nitrates down...

cal1319

I do dose microbacter7.... So far this week the levels have been dropping I will change the water again tomo and see where the levels are... Corals seem happier and then snails too haha

Fishgirl2393

I am going to tell you... I had the same problem with API test kit. No matter how many water changes (with distilled or RO/DI water) I did, the nitrates were still really high. So, I got a new test kit (and verified the new one against a Salifert) and have had no more problems. The API was reading 80-160ppm when my nitrates (as verified since by several kits including Red Sea and Salifert as well as others) were about 10-15ppm. My nitrates are now only about 5ppm.

So checked everything today!

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0.2

Nitrate: 10-15

Ca: 440

Dkh: 9

Salinity: 1.025

pH: 8.1

So... Any reason why there is a little peak in nitrites? I cut the feeding down to three times a week... I spot fed mysis and the rest the fish picked up.... I'll keep up with the 50% changes and see if things get stabilized... Again are the nitrites anything to worry about?

• 4 weeks later...

I am a newbie with a Biocube 14 that has been set up for 10 weeks. My nitrates were high for quite a while.

They went down after I doubled my water changes. 2 , 2 gallon weekly water changes instead of the usual 2g.

I also switched from API test kits to Salifert.

Archived