Coral Vue Hydros

RO unit saddle valve help

DriftingNemo

DriftingNemo

About 2 weeks ago I bought myself a 3 stage compact RO unit that comes with a 1/2" hose pipe and washing outlet adaptor. Since I don't have a hose pipe and can't gain easy access to my washing machine outlets I've decided to pierce my cold water pipe with a saddle valve. And yes, I know about those faucet adapters and I don't want to wait 3 weeks for the piece to arrive from the US and find out that it actually doesn't fit my faucet. My question is, are saddle valves reliable? Is there a chance of leaks? and does anyone use a self piercing saddle valve?

AZDesertRat

Self piercing saddle valves are still pretty common on most RO drinking water systems and can be pretty reliable. Just make sure when you install it you screw the valve all the way in to get a good full diameter pierced hole in the cold water line theb ack it all the way back out for operation. I would install a ball valve in the supply line to the RO to use as the ON/OFF versus screwing the saddle valve on and off any more than necessary so you don't disturb it.

DriftingNemo

I have the Saddle valve connected to around 4" of tubing which connects to a ball valve and that goes to the RO unit. This allows me to close the valve and safely remove the unit. I live in a rental house and I'm fortunate enough to have a landlord who's an engineer, so I'l probably ask him to install it since I don't want to risk it.

Archived