ReefCleaners.org

Do I have Dino?

RC1313

I went on vacation for a week where my brother took care of my tank (meaning the tank was fed waayyy to much). Anyways, I'm pretty sure these are dinoflagellates (sp?) but wanted to make sure before I tank action. The pics aren't great, but the stuff in question is slimy and before it gets long, its covered in air bubbles.

http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/reed51313/media/New%20Tank%20Pics/72C71DF8-482D-434F-8AAA-98B564C1078F_zpsdu9ozacf.jpg.html'>72C71DF8-482D-434F-8AAA-98B564C1078F_zpshttp://s1072.photobucket.com/user/reed51313/media/New%20Tank%20Pics/725F12C2-DC53-4195-A2CD-ED593FAF3A6B_zpsk1ll90va.jpg.html'>725F12C2-DC53-4195-A2CD-ED593FAF3A6B_zps

If your CUC is unable to deal with it and has died trying to eat it then it is dinos.

Cure for dinos is a fresh water dip for a short time.

I haven't noticed my cuc trying to go after it. Thanks for the help

When I leave for a week. I don't even bother having anyone feed the tank. Fish won't starve in a week. :)

Hard to say on it.. could be nasty dino too.

I dipped the rock in the first pic in pure RODI for a good minute. Algae still going strong so assuming it's not Dino's? Or do they take a while to die

Just kidding. Checked out microscopes thread and looks like they take awhile. From his nice pics though, I'm fairly certain I have them

Scrub/siphon what you can and then do a min 3 day black out. NO LIGHT, cover it with blankets, ect. Sometimes that is enough to get rid of it.

Thinking about maybe dipping everything today, do Dino's live in the sand as well?

Probably everywhere but some people have beat them just by being aggressive. Might get a cycle if you dip everything at once but might be worth it :P

Probably everywhere but some people have beat them just by being aggressive. Might get a cycle if you dip everything at once but might be worth it :P

I'm thinking if I get a new tank ordered I can dip and transfer and then let it cycle

Archived