Innovative Marine Aquariums

.9 gallon pico zoa reef

Reefkid88

thesmallerthebetter

Digging the glow in the dark sump! Im thinking about getting frag plugs cut out of that same acrylic for trade shows ;)

Would you mind sending me a pic of the "bonus" light? And dimensions plz? I wanna see if itll fit in my edge haha.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Digging the glow in the dark sump! Im thinking about getting frag plugs cut out of that same acrylic for trade shows ;)

Would you mind sending me a pic of the "bonus" light? And dimensions plz? I wanna see if itll fit in my edge haha.

Thanks man,I need some good ideas on layouts for the sump. Also a good way to keep the water level in the filtration side higher than in the return side.. Any ideas ?

Damn it !!! I'll measure it when I get home man.

It will do that on it's own. Once the pump starts running, it will draw the water level down a little bit. How much lower will be determined by the flow rate of the pump, the area of the return side, and how high the water level is over the baffle.

You could also use three baffles (over/under/over) where the inlet side is taller than the return side. But I don't think you will really need to do that.

I'm thinking about switching the Hydor 100gph pump in my tank for the original MJ1200 and putting the Hydor in the sump area.

I was also already planning of possibly putting 3 baffles in the middle of the sump,although it'll be a VERY tight fit on both sides of the sump. Probably around 2.5"x6"x6" is what the overflow side and return side will be with 3 baffles installed. If I only do 2 a smidge maybe .5" more. I'll have to measure it.

Nanofreak79

You'll need baffles to set the water height. My 10 gallon only uses a single baffle design and has the same height in both chambers.

I'm thinking about switching the Hydor 100gph pump in my tank for the original MJ1200 and putting the Hydor in the sump area. I was also already planning of possibly putting 3 baffles in the middle of the sump,although it'll be a VERY tight fit on both sides of the sump. Probably around 2.5"x6"x6" is what the overflow side and return side will be with 3 baffles installed. If I only do 2 a smidge maybe .5" more. I'll have to measure it.
If you do 3 you canon adjust the height of one section.

You'll need baffles to set the water height. My 10 gallon only uses a single baffle design and has the same height in both chambers.

If you do 3 you canon adjust the height of one section.

Yeah that's what I don't want. I'd like the water to passively go over the carbon to get filtered and then at the end of the first chamber have a notch cut out of the divider to fall down. Wait,if I do 3 baffles I can or cannot adjust the height ? "canon" confused me lol.

I'm going to try and make the baffles removable ( all 3 of them ) so if I don't need 3 I can take one out.

Nanofreak79

Auto correct......it's my way of confusing people. Without using another baffle you won't be able to set different height. So you need three baffles. One to create the first height the second and third to create the second chamber height.

Auto correct......it's my way of confusing people. Without using another baffle you won't be able to set different height. So you need three baffles. One to create the first height the second and third to create the second chamber height.

Hahaha well,it works. Gotcha,okay. I'm still going to make them adjustable so I can tune the water height in the return chamer.

I also need to get the flow on my MJ1200 turned down some,stock it wants to blow water out if my 7 gallon like nothing lol.

Nanofreak79

Do it if you want, but restricting pumps isn't good for them. You'd be better off getting a matched pump. JMO. Are you gonna use an ATO.

Do it if you want, but restricting pumps isn't good for them. You'd be better off getting a matched pump. JMO. Are you gonna use an ATO.

For some reason,I thought MJ's were adjustable flow. I do have a 170gph pump I can try out but it doesn't have a nozzle where the water comes out,so I'll have to figure something out to rig tubing on it.

Eventually yeah,probably the one from premium aquatics the DIY one and a Aqualifter.

Did some testing today,my 1/2" loc-line return fits snuggly into the plumbing I did,which was surprising. I think I'm going to go ahead and Weld On-16 everything and get it good to go. I'm going to run out to walmart later after my cookout and try and find a 1/2" hole saw fitting to drill the holes and get this thing all together.

So hopefully by this weekend I can have everything switched over. Tonight I'm also going to order 2 700ma LDD's for the light,and some " Basilisk " wire stuff from ledreeflights seeming Coralux is closed until about the first week of June and hopefully it'll be here by the weekend when I want to transfer all the .9 stuff into the tank.

I didn't get the drivers ordered like I wanted too,but I did get the tank and the sump drilled. With some sanding I managed to get the 1/2" loc-line heads into the tank. I did manage to crack the tank but it's a easy fix with some Weld On,so thank god for that stuff.

image-7.jpg

image-8.jpg

Just got the Coralux 2up board,2 700mA's,2 LDD sockets for the board,2 jumper wires and 8' of wire management stuff ordered for the light for this tank.

Painted the back of the tank,WO-16 the drain and return for the tank and got the drain and return's fitting nicely as well.

Nonetheless it's been a busy and productive night !!!

This tank is about to be thrown in the garbage.. It's starting to royally piss me off.... I get everything WO-16'd in the tank,sand some stuff down,the sump leaks.. I WO'd the acrylic first,then put siliconed then WO'd over that,still leaks.

Went back over the seams last night,tested just now,still leaks. Also,the pump I was going to used worked before i WO'd it to the return plumbing,filled the tank up with water,sump still leaks and now the pump won't work.. Yay.

Nanofreak79
I think I'm going to pull the trigger and just order this tank throw the AC50 with the AC20 impeller on it,paint the back wall black and call it a day. Can't beat it for $28 shipped and low iron on all 5 panels. It's pretty much 8"x8"x8" plenty of room for activites. http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-high-clarity-glass-cube-hcc-8.html'>http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-high-clarity-glass-cube-hcc-8.html

Sounds pretty sweet.

Sounds pretty sweet.

I thought the same thing about the replacment I built for this tank.. Turned out to be trouble. Oh well,this hobby is full or surprises huh ?

Nanofreak79

Yeah.....if I have to buy another tank I'll have to put a hold on other things I had planned. Coral, camera gear, etc.

Yeah.....if I have to buy another tank I'll have to put a hold on other things I had planned. Coral, camera gear, etc.

Which really isn't a bad thing. Sometimes sh*t happens for a reason man.

Went ahead and ordered the 2 gallon cube !!!! It's going to be pretty freaking cool,I love the low iron look.

Archived