Pod Your Reef

Noob - Starting up a Nuvo Mini 38 (Now starting up a Fusion 30)

snoop306

Thanks again!

Alright, I've updated post #19 to reflect your suggested changes to my setup.

Still want to read more before I commit to two media baskets, mainly because I'm still trying to understand how they are integrated into the aquarium setup and their role.

The Media basket will hold your filter floss, carbon and purigen or whatever media you like. Basically it acts like your mechanical and chemical filter. Look into InTank Media Baskets they make better quality than IM in my option.

The Media basket will hold your filter floss, carbon and purigen or whatever media you like. Basically it acts like your mechanical and chemical filter. Look into InTank Media Baskets they make better quality than IM in my option.

Yeah, InTank does make better media baskets but he still doesn't have an ETA of when they will be available for the Fusion 30. I wish I could have given him my business with the baskets.

Is that lighting sufficient for the Fusion 30? Does that light come with a mount kit/arm of any kind or do I need to purchase something separately?

The Hydra FiftyTwo is sufficient, however you will probably need to ceiling hang it unless you are wanting to try and DIY something. Aquaillumination Doesn't have a horizontal bar for the AI fixture with their EXT mount, I had to bend one out of aluminum to get it to work. If you don't want to hang anything, the nanobox fixtures and the razer r420r both have mounting legs you can use.

I think you are all set, just make sure you have access to RO/DI water, or you will need to budget $100 for a system - don't use tap water.

We have the spin streams and that is it for flow right now. We also have 2 intank media baskets and the fuge. We are about to set up our Tunze skimmer. We have an IM reactor still new in the box. Still waiting to figure out about when to get it wet and what media to run in it.

I second Ahanix on the RO set up. Big time and money saver.

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to watching your build.

We have the spin streams and that is it for flow right now. We also have 2 intank media baskets and the fuge. We are about to set up our Tunze skimmer. We have an IM reactor still new in the box. Still waiting to figure out about when to get it wet and what media to run in it.

I second Ahanix on the RO set up. Big time and money saver.

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to watching your build.

After researching and asking around I started my reactor with biopellets right off the back after cycling.

After researching and asking around I started my reactor with biopellets right off the back after cycling.

I wish I would have done the same thing - excited to start running them next week.

Yeah, if those lights require a DIY mount, I'm going to look into something else. I'm not a handy person by any stretch of the imagination. I looked into the InTank Media Baskets, as they seemed to be the best on the market, but yeah, not available for the Fusion 30.

Alright, here's my "finalized" setup, barring any input that would lead me to make changes. If you guys think it looks good, I'm going to put in the order.

Nuvo Fusion 30

IM Nuvo 30 Stand

CAD Lights PLS-50

100W Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm

IM MiniMax All-In-One Media Reactor Midsize

EcoTech Marine VorTech EcoSmart Propeller Pumps MP10 ES

Maxspect 27 Inch Razor R420R 16,000K LED Light Fixture

Tunze Nano Osmolator 3152

Innovative Marine AUQA Gadget CustomCaddy Fusion 40 and 30L Media Basket - 2x

Going to hold off on the RKE for now, as that's an additional $400 that I'm not totally convinced that I need yet. Is that the correct model of the R420R for my tank size?

Thanks again, everyone!

Hmm.. will the RKE work with the Tunze Nano Osmolator 3152? Thinking now that maybe it would be a good purchase for me, especially if it monitors all my levels.

This is the product you're talking about, correct? http://www.marinedepot.com/Digital_Aquatics_ReefKeeper_Elite_(Plus)_Controller_Multi_Item_Monitors_Controllers_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-Digital_Aquatics-DA1115-FITEMOMI-vi.html

Or would one of the cheaper models in that line achieve similar results for me?

I would do some research to see what controller you like best. I was going to order an RKE but found the Apex to be the same price with more features and usability. You won't really need one right now anyways. Just gives you some more insurance on your tank. The light you selected is the right size, the maxspect fixtures are great from what I hear

I would do some research to see what controller you like best. I was going to order an RKE but found the Apex to be the same price with more features and usability. You won't really need one right now anyways. Just gives you some more insurance on your tank. The light you selected is the right size, the maxspect fixtures are great from what I hear

Yeah, based on what I've read I think that light is my best option in that price range.

Thanks again for your help! Once I have everything setup and a better understanding of what is going on with my system, I'll investigate the controllers further. :)

There are several auto top off systems you can buy that you dont need to buy a controller for, but if you are in the market for a controller, it is a nice feature to use your ato with it. Personally, I just have a JBJ auto top off with a Toms aqualifter pump, and it works like a charm. I think an auto top off is a bigger necessity than a uv sterilizer any day.

I have the Nuvo 38 with dual spinstreams, and honestly, if they wouldnt have come free with my tank, I would not have purchased them otherwise. I do like the surface agitation they give, but they are a pain, and reduce the output of flow from the pump, as well as freeze up and stop spinning or pop off and fall into the tank. IMO, I would skip them and just go with the MP10.

I also recently upgraded to the Cadlights PLS 50. Best skimmer I have tired, hands down. Not sure how much room the back of the new fusion tanks have compared to my 38, but my skimmer will only fit in one of the 2 media basket slots. I have the InTank media basket in the other side, which is ok, but if the fusions will fit the skimmer in a different section so you can keep both media slots, do it. The ipgraded media baskets are so much better than the stock ones that come with the tank. My only compaint with my 38 is that I cant run both media baskets and my skimmer......and the rounded corners, lol.

All that being said, excited to see your build. I love my nuvo tank!

Just an update...

I've reached out to my LFS with the above list of equipment and am waiting to hear back which of those they can get for me and which I'll need to order online. I'm also heading down to the States for two weeks mid-May, so I'll be able to pick a few items up there if necessary and bring them back duty free.

My aquarium and stand should be here sometime next week.

If hold off on the "caddy" as it isn't much better than the stock filter baskets.

The intank ones will be available soon.

The Reefkeeper elite plus with the float kit would be what you want. It really is a life saver and makes things that much easier.

unless you're buying things at the "duty free" anything you bring back over the border can and may very well be taxed.

If you are using a controller just for monitoring ph and temp, the RKL is great. You don't need the elite. I prefer the tunze for ATO, and your light is already controllable on its own. I would save the money, and spend it on something else.

Archived