Pod Your Reef

Mystery of the missing Clown Goby

matt1977

Hi All,

I rescued a sickly clown goby and thought I'd place it on my new office nano. The goby was acclimated Tuesday morning and was introduced into the tank by 10am. Tank/water parameters were all in check that morning. There are no other fish in the tank.

The goby as usual hid from sight and started swimming about by 5pm Tuesday afternoon.

Today, I did not see the goby all day. I looked for it for a while. By the end of the day, I just pulled the scape apart - moved the gravel about, looked in the filter, in the pumps. No Goby!

So here are my theories:

1. Goby jumped out: Impossible - the nano has a glass lid. If the goby had great target and managed to shoot himself through the finger hole of the lid - then he would surely be on the floor. Floor - checked.

2. The Goby was sucked through the tiny water pump and was shredded into pieces by the impeller. Possible, but hardly unlikely. No evidence of it. Also, just checked water - ammonia on dead zero.

3. The goby was too sick and didn't survive the night, the goby died and was blown around by the pump and the elegance coral got a hold of it and consumed it.

4. The Elegance coral just plain ate it.

5. I was hallucinating and imagined I rescued a clown goby and put it in my office nano... nah got pics to prove that it existed. See...post-81033-0-80047300-1398246045_thumb.jpg

6. My staff is playing a cruel joke. Cruel on the Goby...

I will be conducting an office inquiry and there will be employee interviews to be had about this matter.

hahaha.

I'm at a lost. Any theories guys and gals?

Thanks, M.

2 hermits... 1 turbo snail. Really they can consume a goby that fast... Wow.. No evidence of a carcas or bones though...

2 hermits... 1 turbo snail. Really they can consume a goby that fast... Wow.. No evidence of a carcas or bones though...

2 hermits... 1 turbo snail. Really they can consume a goby that fast... Wow.. No evidence of a carcas or bones though...2 hermits... 1 turbo snail. Really they can consume a goby that fast... Wow.. No evidence of a carcas or bones though...

They don't call them a "clean up crew" for nothing. Sorry for the loss.

Archived