Top Shelf Aquatics

'carpetbox' by ZROGST [Nanobox & Synergy Reef Nem/Clown Tank]

BadCrab

glad the nem is doing okay, that was definitely a cool idea though, unfortunately imo ultimately doomed to fail.. good try though :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did quite a bit of research on these and eventually decided a 50 wasn't even enough for a single species haddoni nem. Glad to see it found a good home though! Carpet nems are the only nems i truly wish a had a big system for especially with some of the color morphs they come in. My original plan was a 50 with one and 2 pink skunks as they are apparently the least likely to end up as food but when i realized they grow to 4 ft in diameter rather quickly I called it quits.

That's awesome man :). Good for you for doing the right thing, not many would have done that. All too often pride blinds common sense. I'm glad to see that wasn't the case here.

That stated, I would still consider this experiment a success. It may not have worked out as planned, but at least no life was lost due to insufficient back up plans :).

this is true.

That's great!! So what were your conclusions about the carpet being in this tank based on what happened?

Wrong species (as so many pointed out!) The system volume (even when connected to an external with UV & getting daily water exchanges from the big system) simply couldn't handle the mucous production overnight. And forget about feeding.

It could probably work with a smaller specimen, & almost certainly with a smaller Malu (given a sandbed) or a Ritteri. I'll be setting it up with a designer BTA & clown pair once I'm settled in. Plane leaves Monday so I've got to get back to packing!

It could probably work with a smaller specimen, & almost certainly with a smaller Malu (given a sandbed) or a Ritteri. I'll be setting it up with a designer BTA & clown pair once I'm settled in. Plane leaves Monday so I've got to get back to packing!

THAT sounds amazing. Hoping to see this soon with a badass BTA, that tank really sets up whatever you put inside of it. Good to know that beautiful carpet is doing well. Good luck and safe travels!

Wrong species (as so many pointed out!) The system volume (even when connected to an external with UV & getting daily water exchanges from the big system) simply couldn't handle the mucous production overnight. And forget about feeding.

That makes sense. Is the mucus a part of this animals natural 'thing' (like a bali green slimer is always sliming whether you touch it or not) or a stress response ?

A larger system barren with a ritteri would be amazing. From what I have seen they will end up on the glass usually anyways so barebottom with insane flow would be the norm for them.

You just gave me an idea.

That makes sense. Is the mucus a part of this animals natural 'thing' (like a bali green slimer is always sliming whether you touch it or not) or a stress response ?

From the specimens I've seen they all do it but given an appropriate system with adequate volume and flow I don't think you'd ever notice it. Hopefully someone with more anemone knowledge can jump in on that!

Where ya moving to?

Ashburn, VA (a little south-west of DC) Moving is a nightmare. I'll be there Monday but won't have my things or internet access until the second or third week of August

Archived