ReefCleaners.org

'carpetbox' by ZROGST [Nanobox & Synergy Reef Nem/Clown Tank]

BadCrab

Nano sapiens

Just stumbled on this via 'AquaNerd's glowing write up. Immediately reminded me of Jake Adam's tank with the Elegance coral.

When I first saw Jake's attempt my first thought was that a number of these types of species tanks, artfully arranged, in a darkened room with lots of actinic lighting would make an interesting display in a museum. In a home, not so much due to the tank not having much variety. Obviously, any large organism in a small body of water is going to require very effective life support to keep it healthy. Carpet Anemones are known to be quite delicate, especially when initially purchased since they don't handle shipping stress well.

I just hope the Haddoni doesn't go belly up...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bdevillier19

i spoke to him in person and from the sounds of it, it wasnt doing well. that was earlier this week, so who knows now.

BattleAthletics

When it comes to aquariums, well admit that its hard to impress with standard reef layout. Sure, a well-established reef tank can be a wondrous sight, but because so many people have nice tanks, innovation isnt exactly a frequently occurring thing. But every once in a while, something comes along that really makes us stop and appreciate the beauty. Sometimes that happens with an elaborate setup that has tons of techie goodies, and other times the sheer simplicity of a system is cause enough for a quick jaw drop. The latter is the case for this particular aquarium, a nano tank from Nano-Reef user ZROGST, which is a single species tank that we instantly fell in love with.

The tank is a Synergy Reef nano aquarium illuminated by a Nanonox LED light fixture. Its lone resident is a large, but still growing, green Haddoni carpet anemone, whose color matches the neon trim on the aquarium.

Green Carpet Anemone Synergy Nano

The tank tips the scales at 5.5 gallons, measuring 12″x12″x9″. Besides the lighting, the only other equipment is an Eheim Skim350 skimmer and we thought we read that there was a VorTech MP10 for flow.

For maintenance, 1-gallon water changes are done every other day, a vial if Prodibio Digest Nano and Bioptim Nano are dosed weekly, and water parameters are monitored closely. Because there seems to be so much care taken with this tank, we arent worried about the anemones long-term health. Of course, that doesnt mean all the internet trolls are staying quiet. Based on the comments in the thread, a majority of people dislike the aquarium because the anemone is so large and has the potential to get larger. Its a totally understandable opinion, as smaller tanks are prone to water parameter fluctuations, but falling back on the proposed maintenance schedule and the fact that the anemone has improved its condition in this aquarium (was previously gaping according to ZROGST).

bdevillier19

i agree ^^. the idea and the end goal are greatness in the making. he did say he was having problems with the daily mucus problems. hopefully he can find a way around it.

Seems crazy, but as long as he is willing to remove the anemone if it shows signs of ill health, then what's the problem?

Thank you for sharing your honest experience (good or bad) with the community, that we may all learn.

• 4 weeks later...
jedimasterben

A lot of mucous in the tank this morning, and elevated ammonia/nitrite levels. Getting backup tank a notice and getting the crow warmed up!

Well, it looks like the experiment didn't go well but at least he appears to have employed his back up plan. I hope that awesome anemone is sitting pretty in some monster tank somewhere :).

I had a bleached out baby Blue Haddoni in a 40g, got it back to health when it was the size of a dinner plate I sold it a lady with a 330g. That thing got HUMONGOUS!!!

I had a bleached out baby Blue Haddoni in a 40g, got it back to health when it was the size of a dinner plate I sold it a lady with a 330g. That thing got HUMONGOUS!!!

I met a local reefer last night that apparently is the 'nem whisperer and has quite a few monster 'nems in a couple of very large tanks. Nice guy, I need to get by his place to check them out. He also breeds designer clown fish and sells them for dirt cheap from what I understand.

I'd actually like to order a large 'nem or two because I've seen some that were absolutely gorgeous come across the wholesale market recently. Unfortunately, my tanks are likely too shallow (only about 10" from the surface of the water to the egg crate) to properly house one :(.

OP tank will never work. That poor carpet is not even fully inflated in the pictures he posted yet. Carpet anemone diameter of the oral plates is 4-5 times the diameter of the foot. Diameter of that anemone when healthy, fully expanded is nearly 1.5 the length of the side of the tank. In addition to this Haddoni is a sand anemone, he will never be happy with foot exposed like that.

The concept may work if the OP get a very small haddoni. They stay on rock until they get larger, then move to the sand. He will need to keep from feeding the anemone so it will not growth.

Why get a Haddoni. One to four Maximini or several Rock flowers hosting shrimps would do just as well. These anemones come in all colors, and very bright colors also.

I will eat my word and formally apologize to the OP if this anemone live in that tank for 1 year.

Well, it looks like the experiment didn't go well but at least he appears to have employed his back up plan. I hope that awesome anemone is sitting pretty in some monster tank somewhere :).

He did? He re-homed the carpet?

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the absence, checking in here before I move across country. I'll try to post when I have things up and running in VA.

The carpet was QUICKLY re-homed and is doing very well in a 300g under 250w MH.

Sorry for the absence, checking in here before I move across country. I'll try to post when I have things up and running in VA.

That's great!! So what were your conclusions about the carpet being in this tank based on what happened?

That's awesome man :). Good for you for doing the right thing, not many would have done that. All too often pride blinds common sense. I'm glad to see that wasn't the case here.

That stated, I would still consider this experiment a success. It may not have worked out as planned, but at least no life was lost due to insufficient back up plans :).

Archived