Pod Your Reef

'carpetbox' by ZROGST [Nanobox & Synergy Reef Nem/Clown Tank]

BadCrab

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Little late for April Fools

In all seriousness, it's your tank you can do what you want. If you decided to add clowns, be careful. Haddoni's are known fish eaters and with such little space a new clown can easily be eaten by the nem.

If, as predicted, this does not work. Consider a maxi mini anemone. I have one that is soild green with a pink mouth,. They can get a decent size if you feed them and it would look just like a mini haddoni.

greennem_zps8ea533ed.jpg

A little cramped but a cool concept.

I've always wanted to do a zero edge with nothing but carpets (Green, Red, and Blue) and a pair of big clowns.

Reminds me of the Eco Reef Zero but more green and no room.

Speaking of ERZ and ER1, they were the inspiration for this tank. After receiving so much negativity from the Nano Reef community, I turned to my personal mentor Jake Adams for advice about the project. With his vote of confidence, I'm moving forward and have an agenda for the tank:

* Create egg-crate cage for and install MP10

* Setup or purchase a slim footprint ATO

* Feed generously and do large water changes (or exchanges) often

* Figure out how to add carbon to the system

You could add a vertical internal filter kind of thing like the eheim cubes come with. For an ATO, I'd try the smart ATO as the footprint is tiny - that or do a gravity-fed one so you only have a single tube entering the tank at the water level. You could probably make a nice cube one with a sealed lid out of acrylic or glass.

Best of luck with the endeavor

Don't get me wrong, I am sure that where there is a will there is a way. I look at that anemone, in the wild it would have a some A. Polymnus or A. Sebae swimming near it. In the Marshall Islands perhaps some A tricinctus. Big clowns on a wide open sandy bottom. Why bother pushing the limits with an animal that could have lived for years in the wild just for your personal satisfaction. Sea water is stable, in a month or a year you will need to go on holiday or miss a dose or what ever, and the anemone will end up as a horrible soup. The message that we need to send is sustainability, people will read your post and think, that guy is doing it so it is ok. We are all guilty but there is a line.

Corals can be fragged, bta's split but carpets live for 100's of years and if you kill one it is gone.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure that where there is a will there is a way. I look at that anemone, in the wild it would have a some A. Polymnus or A. Sebae swimming near it. In the Marshall Islands perhaps some A tricinctus. Big clowns on a wide open sandy bottom. Why bother pushing the limits with an animal that could have lived for years in the wild just for your personal satisfaction. Sea water is stable, in a month or a year you will need to go on holiday or miss a dose or what ever, and the anemone will end up as a horrible soup. The message that we need to send is sustainability, people will read your post and think, that guy is doing it so it is ok. We are all guilty but there is a line. Corals can be fragged, bta's split but carpets live for 100's of years and if you kill one it is gone.

Are you sure you're an aquarium hobbyist and not a rights activist? This sort of over emotional commentary is really not welcome in my thread. As an organism the carpet simply does not have the neurological system to know the difference. The haddon's was harvested. You, me, and everyone who's ever bought marine livestock tranship drives that harvesting. "We are all guilty but there is a line" is probably the most "holier than thou" comment I've heard in a long while. Basically, shove off.

Legendary Corals

Love the all green idea! I am a bit worried about that nem though. I don't think that this will be impossible, just a lot of work.

Yeah it's definitely possible. Just a lot of work... heck if I handled successfully a scoly tank with no filtration and live rocks, I don't see how this can't work.

After receiving so much negativity from the Nano Reef community,

:flower: I'm sorry you feel this way, in my defence I'm just concerned about the animal. I may have come off as the tang police. :rolleyes: We all push the limits and a new idea is always met with resistance so I wish you the best and I hope this works out long term.

Never had a haddoni (but drooled endlessly whenever I saw one at the LFS!) but from what I have read, it grows to several feet and your guy is already looking huge. So that is where I was coming from. Even with perfect water conditions and husbandry, this animal needs a lot more space.

Is the tank rim painted green or from carpet? I like the setup be cool to have, just keep eye on it like you already said you are.

I'm all for pushing limits, but this one honestly doesn't even make sense to me. To me it just looks like an anemone in a small, very small, holding tank. I guess I just can't grasp the allure of the extreme minimalist concept. At least you have a solid back up plan though :). That's much more than what can be said for the majority of people who try things like this.

Good luck, and please don't let pride get in the way of common sense. If and when the time comes to move this guy please do so. Your comment on this being an organism with no neurological system, therefore it doesn't know the difference is a little concerning. While you may be correct, that's a very irresponsible approach to take. While it may not know the difference, IMO, it's our responsibility as hobbyist's to provide for the animals that we pull out of the ocean for our amusement to the best of our abilities. If you disagree then maybe you should take up dog fighting as well. I mean, they're just dogs. It's not like they're people, know what I mean?

Again, I commend you for having a back up plan. Just please don't let pride and arrogance get in the way of following through with it :).

BattleAthletics

I'm all for pushing limits, but this one honestly doesn't even make sense to me. To me it just looks like an anemone in a small, very small, holding tank. I guess I just can't grasp the allure of the extreme minimalist concept. At least you have a solid back up plan though :). That's much more than what can be said for the majority of people who try things like this.

Good luck, and please don't let pride get in the way of common sense. If and when the time comes to move this guy please do so. Your comment on this being an organism with no neurological system, therefore it doesn't know the difference is a little concerning. While you may be correct, that's a very irresponsible approach to take. While it may not know the difference, IMO, it's our responsibility as hobbyist's to provide for the animals that we pull out of the ocean for our amusement to the best of our abilities. If you disagree then maybe you should take up dog fighting as well. I mean, they're just dogs. It's not like they're people, know what I mean?

Again, I commend you for having a back up plan. Just please don't let pride and arrogance get in the way of following through with it :).

But Jake says is okay!

Hey dude(zrogst), you are a badass reefer, I've always like the builds you make, except this one. Did you let the tank cycle?

mp10 might be too strong for a carpet in a little tank like that.

The more flow the better here. Keeps mucus from building up on the tissue. Remember, you can turn an MP10 down pretty far. I've got it set on short pulse at a low strength.

Is the tank rim painted green or from carpet? I like the setup be cool to have, just keep eye on it like you already said you are.

The rim is made from neon green acrylic - something Synergy does pretty often in their builds.

If you're going to compare what I'm doing here to dog fighting, I can't take anything else you say seriously.

But Jake says is okay!

Hey dude(zrogst), you are a badass reefer, I've always like the builds you make, except this one. Did you let the tank cycle?

Is it so hard to believe that I trust Jake Adam's opinion over even seasoned NR forum vets? The system used cured rock & Probidio, fully able to convert a daily feeding of brine/mysis to nitrate.

Archived