Coral Vue Hydros

What size to upgrade to?!

Halo_003

Currently, I have a 10G. I live in dorms right now and that's all we're allowed to have, but I'll be off campus next year in an apartment so I want a somewhat larger tank. I'm not planning on it being over 30 gallons at most, partly so that my water changes are still small and so that I won't be looking at a massive system for when I have to move it. (which should be 1-2 times per year).

Currently this is the equipment I have:

10G standard

75W Eheim Jager

AC70

4x18W (20") oddysea T5HO fixture - temporary till I decide what LED I want to do and have money for it. (99% nanobox)

Nano 425 - planning on WP10 or WP25

~12lbs LR

10lbs LS

I keep LPS and Z/P's also, have a pair of small clowns and a medium size firefish. I like the tanks with horizontal space because I want a small wrasse or two of some sort(eventually).

My LFS has nice pricing on Deep Blue tanks so I was looking at getting one of them, my question though is what size should I get(keeping in mind having to move it). Here's the ones I'm considering....

24x24x12 half cube - quite pricey so not sure @ ~$130

20L - standard size, cheapest @ $38

20x20x20 cube - not sure on price

33L - 48x12x12, I think ~$87 was what he said. Unlikely due to large footprint and lighting needs for that large size. Love the size though, but don't like that I'd need multiple fixtures of LED and that it'd be a pain to move.

29G standard - 30x12x18 - don't know pricing

30B - 36x18x12 - love the size, but not sure if it's really a feasible size to have in an apartment. - don't know pricing

30G - 36x12x16 - don't know pricing

What would you guys go for given my situation? I realize I'd need to replace lights and heater at least, powerhead is already in the works.

Do you like the dimensions (shape) you currently have or do you think a cube tank would be a better direction?

Also what sort of budget are you looking at?

Of the size range you listed, a 30 or 40 gallon breeder is my favorite footprint, but as you say it might be too large for your situation.

The Mr Aqua 17 and 32 rimless tanks are decent rimless tanks both having smaller footprints.

I'm not a huge fan of the deep blue products. They're available on amazon and some other places, but I don't think they're as good of quality as normal AGA or perfecto tanks you can find at chain fish stores.

Budget I'm looking at <$100 if possible(for the tank). Not sure on cube vs. normal, I mainly just want swimming area, I like the ones I picked because they have a lot of swim room for fish(dur). I see cube build on here and love them, but I also see the rectangle builds and love them as well. I'll make sure to ask about other MFG's when I go, Deep Blue is just one I'm more familiar with.

Edit: important to know, but I want minimal scape, and lots of open sand space.

Something like the Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long would be nice. http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua_Rectangle_Frameless_Glass_Aquarium_Tank_Rectangular-Azoo-AZ1119-FIAQRA-AZ1123-vi.html

I bet you could get something like that cut locally for <$100

Make it around 32" long 8"-10" wide, 10"-12" high.

It would still look alright with a single fixture illuminating the minimal aquascape.

Nice and wide panorama.

Something like the Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long would be nice. http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua_Rectangle_Frameless_Glass_Aquarium_Tank_Rectangular-Azoo-AZ1119-FIAQRA-AZ1123-vi.html

I bet you could get something like that cut locally for <$100

Make it around 32" long 8"-10" wide, 10"-12" high.

It would still look alright with a single fixture illuminating the minimal aquascape.

Nice and wide panorama.

I considered that as well, but I want 20-30G just to have more space for cool stuff. I like that tank it just seems too small to have anything more than what I currently have, since it doesn't have much swimming space in terms of front to back.

You just missed the petco $1/gal sale!!

I'm a fan of the 3ft long tanks for plenty of horizontal room for viewing, scaping, and for fish to swim.

You can go with 2 smaller light systems or 1 bigger one.

You just missed the petco $1/gal sale!!

I'm a fan of the 3ft long tanks for plenty of horizontal room for viewing, scaping, and for fish to swim.

You can go with 2 smaller light systems or 1 bigger one.

I know!!! That's okay though because my Petco has awful quality tanks. I believe they sell Tetra tanks. Agreed though on the 3ft with additional room, that's why I want that size.

I have seen some really cool Mr Aqua 12g long tanks. Just saying.

Don't get me wrong I totally agree I just would like more volume than that I think. I want room ultimately for another fish or two. I wish there was a 36*12*12 option.

I do like that one, but I can't run a sump and that one is reef ready which is a bit of a pain.

Okay here are prices:

20x20x20 DB w/ rim - $67

20x20x16 DB rimless - $120

24x24x24 DB Rimless - $265

24x24x12 DB Rimless - $136

24x24x18 Marineland rimless - $150

20L DB 30x12x12 - $43

29G DB 36x12x18 - $65

30G DB 36x12x16 - $75

30 BR DB 36x18x12 - $92

33L DB (48x12x12) - $92

The ones I'm liking are:

20x20x20 cube -$67

20L -$43

30 - $75

30BR - $92

33L - $92

I love the 33L but I feel like it'd be a pain to have to move, plus the lighting needs are a bit of a pain as well, so not sure on it.

What would you guys go with, and why preferably?

18" deep tank at a minimum. I've always liked the 40 gallon breeder, but the 30 breeder wouldn't be bad. of course, any of those DBs would be nice.

18" deep tank at a minimum. I've always liked the 40 gallon breeder, but the 30 breeder wouldn't be bad. of course, any of those DBs would be nice.

With regards to height or depth?

I have to be honest, I'm really tempted to just go for the 33L, 20 cube, or the 30BR. Love the dimensions on those. The only thing keeping me from doing one of those is the lighting, really unsure how much it'd cost and I don't want to get a tank that needs $700 worth of lights. I'm trying to stay under $350 tops if I can.

The 33L is like the 12Ls big brother. Similar proportions with a larger water volume.

As for lighting both tanks can be lit with a single long LED or a 4 bulb T5 fixture.

The 33L is like the 12Ls big brother. Similar proportions with a larger water volume.

As for lighting both tanks can be lit with a single long LED or a 4 bulb T5 fixture.

Exactly why I dig the 33L! Awesome dimensions. My only concern is that it'll be expensive to light. I'm trying to get a nanobox LED setup, and with the shallowness and my not keeping SPS, I don't need uber powerful lights, so I'm hoping Dave has something that could work on that size that isn't crazy powerful and expensive. Ie, something made for a 120G that is 30" deep and needs knee powerful lighting.

Update:

I'm considering hard about just going with a Mr. Aqua 18x18x18 25G cube, that looks really nice and is ~$130, but would allow me to use my current lights at least temporarily. Very tempting. Other one I'm thinking hard on is the Deep Blue 20x20x20 since it's 35G, and it's half the price, and not much bigger really, so leaning towards this a lot honestly.. These would also be okay with one strong fixture I think.

Okay so, after much though I think I'm going to go with a 15G standard, 24x12x12. $37, and everything I have now will work, including my lights, plus I know for sure a Nanobox Mono would be fine for it. Thanks for the input guys.

Archived