Coral Vue Hydros

Where does your aquarium's saltwater come from?

Christopher Marks

Saltwater Source  

1,197 members have voted

1. 1. Where does your aquarium's saltwater come from?

• Dry Powder, mixed at home.
    • Dry Powder, mixed a local fish store.
    • Filtered Seawater, pre-packaged.
    • Filtered Seawater, bulk supply.
    • Other, explain in comments section.

I've never seen saltwater sold in the MD/DC/VA area and I'd be too afraid of pollution to take water from the beaches so I mix my own saltwater using reef crystals and my RODI unit. One batch mixed in a 5 gallon bucket lasts me 2 week.

• Like 1

I've never seen saltwater sold in the MD/DC/VA area and I'd be too afraid of pollution to take water from the beaches so I mix my own saltwater using reef crystals and my RODI unit. One batch mixed in a 5 gallon bucket lasts me 2 week.

If your ever in the Northern Virginian area there's a nice shop called Marine Scene in Herndon. It's worth checking out.

• Like 1

If your ever in the Northern Virginian area there's a nice shop called Marine Scene in Herndon. It's worth checking out.

Thank you! I've been looking for good stores in the area but so far I've only visited duds. This weekend I'll be driving two hours to Pacific East aquaculture, I'm sure I'll enjoy that visit.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

RO/DI from home mixed with Reef Crystals. Both my 220 gallon and nano aquariums doing great. Water is stored in a 65 gallon drum above the RO/DI unit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

RODI mixed with Red Sea Pro or D and D salt. I used to buy premixed salt at one of the LFS until I noticed (after a water change) they had mixed their salt water at 1.015 and I maintain my tank at .026. Now I mix everthing my self so I dont crash my tank.

• 2 weeks later...

I was using red sea coral pro, then my lfs ran out so I got reef crystals. It mixes a bit slower but results are the same, and its a bit less expensive. Time will tell, if I go back or not.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Deleted User 9

Peace To All,

I've been using Instant Ocean Salt Mix for more than 25 years, and 2 yrs. on our Vase Reef with R.O. or Distilled Water @ 1.025 -79 degrees, and it's been fine. I don't dose Maritza The Vase Reef, and I'm currently keeping 26 different types of Corals from SPS-LPS-Zoas, in a 1.5 gal. Vase. I also use the Nutri-Seawater on my Black Clownfish and they're doing Great!

~ Great Topic ~

Blessings To All.

Maritza The Vase Reef

• 1 month later...

For those of you using NSW, how are you filtering it?

I'm currently using "filtered" (I have a filter sock over the pump that I use to collect the water so that it doesn't get clogged with sediments) NSW in my display tank and the results are very impressive. I've got 5 or 6 different types of photosynthetic gorgonians and prior to using NSW I never once saw all of them have polyp extension at the same time. Now, all polyps are out all day, everyday.

Well, almost all of them are out, lol. Here are my happy gorgs. :)

16205559339_4ac8ffc395.jpg

16204379040_dc3525fa09.jpg

Up until recently I never saw any PE on this one. It's happy now!

16390032451_210f96d980.jpg

16204149588_0a69f77d75.jpg

16204149238_7165602310.jpg

15771760653_8f105c10ac.jpg

And here's a really sloppy FTS. I promise that the pumps aren't that crooked. I had the camera tilted a little bit.

16205871787_ec71f4bb97.jpg

• Like 2

Incredible what a difference it made! It's hard to compete with nature!

Yeah it really is impressive. I wasn't really having any problems prior to switching to NSW, I just never really saw all the corals happy all the time. I haven't changed anything else other than the source of my water.

I used to use NSW and i would get plankton that settle out into small barnacles and oysters. Now I use IORC and RODI. Needless to say I no longer have plankton settling out.

• 2 weeks later...

Top Fin concentrated. DI water from Walmart. Yes I know many people don't use it but I have not seen anything about people that do use it so until I have a problem I well be using this.

• Christopher Marks pinned this topic
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic