Top Shelf Aquatics

Where does your aquarium's saltwater come from?

Christopher Marks

Saltwater Source  

1,197 members have voted

1. 1. Where does your aquarium's saltwater come from?

• Dry Powder, mixed at home.
    • Dry Powder, mixed a local fish store.
    • Filtered Seawater, pre-packaged.
    • Filtered Seawater, bulk supply.
    • Other, explain in comments section.

Just joined the forum! I am using Instant Ocean (looking at Red Sea Reef Pro) with distilled water- need to find a local source of RODI or start making my own.

I do not at the moment. Right now I've got a new 5 gallon- soon to be home to a humbug damsel. At one point I would not mind having a few corals but will have to let the tank mature and see how the levels hold up!

If anyone has recommendations for other slightly more hardy sps corals for this tank - which I soon intend to have more life in let me know, but for now I only have plans for a small cleanup crew and and anonome for the damsel.

What type of damsel? Most fish that are considered damsels at the hobbiest level will not be hosted by an anenome.

Birst nest, any type of montipora, and poccilopora are all good beginners sps.

What type of damsel? Most fish that are considered damsels at the hobbiest level will not be hosted by an anenome.

Birst nest, any type of montipora, and poccilopora are all good beginners sps.

Good- I'll have to do a bit of research. Also she is a humbug damsel so she should do fine with an anemone.

Good- I'll have to do a bit of research. Also she is a humbug damsel so she should do fine with an anemone.

Off topic in here...and I am the last guy to bitch about thread hijacking. I would not put that damsel in a 5 gallon. Damsels are related to clown fish however I have never seen one host a nem in a aquarium. At least not like a clownfish. They are mean ass fish and I can guarantee that will be the only fish you can keep in a tank that size. I had a domino damsel that would kinda hang out around and sometimes in my nem but defiantly did not host it. My clowns take care of the nem they feed it and defend it. The Domino could care less it was more a hiding place than a symbiotic relationship. If you have a nem already look into what the natural host are for that type of nem. Although keeping a nem in a 5 gallon may be challenging not saying its not possible just a bit challenging if your new to the hobby. Start a thread and post some pics of your tank!

Start a thread and post some pics of your tank!

..and that is what I'll do. Just have to get some pictures up and all that, but didn't realize that this conversation was still on the saltwater thread- so moving it to a tank thread. Get back to you about the damsel Sancho :)

• 1 month later...

using water store ro/di water tested before filled to be as close to zero as possible..mixed with red sea coral pro, but switched this time to Reef Crystals..Red Sea wasn't dissolving for squat. So we will see...not super happy with this batch of rc though...was fine at lfs I thought, but sat for 2 weeks before using today, picked up the bag and was solid!! had to bust up a salt rock. red sea was always dry, somehow this RC had moisture inside.

• 3 weeks later...

I buy 5 gal pre-mixed salt water from my LFS weekly, and 5 gal of RO once every 1 2 weeks for top-offs. They give you a choice of salts.

sorry edited mistake

• 2 months later...

Directly from my wife's tear ducts. When I want to do a water change I simply buy a bounce mushroom. I have to boost the calcium with a little dowflake and it's good to go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic