Top Shelf Aquatics

wennerae mantis shrimp

Dr.Brain Coral

I would recommend an algae scrubber in combination with activated carbon for some of the most efficient nutrient removal, and it's fairly easy to set up in the back chamber of an AiO. Excellent, inexpensive filtration.

Did you DIY your algae scrubber? I feel like I should try one of these out.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, the commercial options are frighteningly expensive.

Yes, and fairly small. Did you post a build anywhere? Do I just get some of that plastic screen at the craft store, rough it up, light it, and run flow down it somehow?

jedimasterben

Yes, and fairly small. Did you post a build anywhere? Do I just get some of that plastic screen at the craft store, rough it up, light it, and run flow down it somehow?

Yep, that's the algae scrubber in as few words as possible lol. http://www.algaescrubber.net/ has loads and loads of builds and info if you want to get more elaborate, and to calculate what size you need to use for how much food you put into the tank daily.

Yep, that's the algae scrubber in as few words as possible lol. http://www.algaescrubber.net/ has loads and loads of builds and info if you want to get more elaborate, and to calculate what size you need to use for how much food you put into the tank daily.

Very cool, will check it out. Thanks!

Dr.Brain Coral

ill look into one of those. would any one look at the link I posted and see how the tank looks? that is what I am basing my tank off of.

Is it gonna have a lid? Will jump. I just did a water change in my 20g and somehow the one jumped over to the other side, I think when I was pouring the water in. And they're only an inch big.

I worry about nitrates in a small tank like that so you'll have to be really diligent with water changes and not overfeeding. Is it gonna be a baby? I wouldn't suggest keeping it in there very long. It needs a larger home.

Dr.Brain Coral

okay it hs a piece of acrylic on the top with a small gap but i could drill holes instead.. i have read a couple of places they would be fine in a 5.5 but if he is getting to big ill up grade. i had looked into a bare bottom with gsp coral as the bottom covering but the mantis would like sand so i wont do that. I am going to add a macro in the main display or follow the plans he has and make a small refugium with chaeto because they suck up nitrates right? also I am going to go on a tangent here but i love brain coral ( i want to be a neuro-surgeon when i grow up and it would be a cool desk tank with one haha )especially favia but i dont want to have them sting other corals how would i keep them from stinging othe r corals?

What they're usually going to do is move corals out of the way, use them to build up their nest, cover an opening so if you don't want it to get damaged I wouldn't put the coral in there. Mantis don't sting, they move and bust up things in their way.

Dr.Brain Coral

i meant the brain they have sweepers that sting other corals. i would glue the corals down and have empty shells for them to decorate its home with.

okay it hs a piece of acrylic on the top with a small gap but i could drill holes instead.. i have read a couple of places they would be fine in a 5.5 but if he is getting to big ill up grade. i had looked into a bare bottom with gsp coral as the bottom covering but the mantis would like sand so i wont do that. I am going to add a macro in the main display or follow the plans he has and make a small refugium with chaeto because they suck up nitrates right? also I am going to go on a tangent here but i love brain coral ( i want to be a neuro-surgeon when i grow up and it would be a cool desk tank with one haha )especially favia but i dont want to have them sting other corals how would i keep them from stinging othe r corals?

Skip the fuge if it is going to take up space in the tank. I would not turn a 5.5g into an AIO because the mantis won't have much room. Just plant display macro's in the display and those will suck up nitrates. No need for cheato.

Use a HOB filter for carbon/GFO/poly fill. Something like an AC70.

Just be aware the mantis may punch your corals. I keep corals with mine and she gives them a good wack every now and again. Get a heater small enough to fit in the AC70.

I kept mine in a 5.5g for awhile (pic below). A rock, some macro, sand and rubble :) No need for the divider, takes up too much real estate.

pico_zps7d5dd7ad.jpg

i1hg1oa8ghmTT.jpg

Should be okay but you might need additional flow from a powerhead or something. Find a heater that will fit in a AC20 as mantises are curious and may repeatedly punch the heater if it is in the DT. I know Walmart has those small preset tetra heaters.

Dr.Brain Coral

Okay would a filter reduce water changes or are those a given either way? I have been looking at corals and was wondering how long would it take a zoa to grow over the rocks? I could buy one big colony of radioactive dragon eyes or a bunch of small little frags and let them grow out what would be better?

Okay would a filter reduce water changes or are those a given either way? I have been looking at corals and was wondering how long would it take a zoa to grow over the rocks? I could buy one big colony of radioactive dragon eyes or a bunch of small little frags and let them grow out what would be better?

You will still want to do WC's. How fast they grow can't really be said as each tank is different but larger colonies multiply faster.

Dr.Brain Coral

Okay that's fine it will be cool to watch them grow. About the macros for nitrites would the sea grass or the dragon breath be better choices? I would like the contrast of the red of the algae to the green mantis.

Dr.Brain Coral

okay also i just got back from my local walmart and i found they have ghost shrimp for 36 cents. i figured i could pick up a few once a week acclimate them and lwt him hunt them down.

BustytheSnowMaam

I had an N. Wennerae mantis and he was (for a mantis) a model citizen. He was about 2.5-3 inches long. His smashers were not strong enough to harm larger hermits, but he would smash small snails. I kept fish in there no problem (as he is a smasher, he probably preferred shelled critters). He never bothered my corals.

Archived