ReefCleaners.org

Average Price for starting out.... 2g

Jimmyboo

Hi guys, sorry I have not been able to get back to yall today.

I am tottally down for the Fluval,

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Desktop-Glass-Aquarium-2-gallon/dp/B0047XMQBM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1397868615&sr=8-6&keywords=2+gallon+aquarium

Its cheap as heck and will save a tone of $$. My only concern was some hinted that the stock light was "not enough" but it seems to work for most

I love the PJ's reef, but the price is a no no hahaha

PS: RO water is guaranteed now, not using tap. done :)

anyways getting back to the list, with the new tank:

heater - $25

testing supplies - $25

refractometer - $30

mini thermostat in tank - $5

Salt - $10

refractometer - $30

live rock - $ 15

live sand - $10

other expenses etc. - $30

Adds up to $180,

Wow now the prices are really coming down. Anyone else have any additions subtractions etc B) ?

BTW, whats the deal with the filter on the 2 gallon, can I gut it and fill it with live rock, or do I have to keep replacing the cartridges etc?

EDIT: Ohh and do you guys think I could cover the top opening a bit more to prevent evaporation?

Best as always,

JB

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're planning on mostly softies, you can always bring in a sample of your water to the LFS now and then to test for the usual ammonia/nitrite/nitrates. They usually do it for free. Then you can save the money from testing supplies to maybe buy a calcium test if you plan on hard corals, although I have some LPS in my tank that looks fine and I've never checked Ca/Alkalinity :D SPS will probably be less forgiving, however, though I don't have experience with them.

Best of luck! Fluval Chis can look really nice :)

If you're planning on mostly softies, you can always bring in a sample of your water to the LFS now and then to test for the usual ammonia/nitrite/nitrates. They usually do it for free. Then you can save the money from testing supplies to maybe buy a calcium test if you plan on hard corals, although I have some LPS in my tank that looks fine and I've never checked Ca/Alkalinity :D SPS will probably be less forgiving, however, though I don't have experience with them.

Best of luck! Fluval Chis can look really nice :)

I would but my LFS is 20 miles away and a hassle to get to. :mellow: But anyway, best to start with the easier corals anyway :lol:

For lighting you can go with Coral compulsions par 30 which is $50 and all you will need is a desk lamp to power it. With that route you can have any corals if down the road you want sps. If the fluval takes filter cartridges you can just clean them when they get dirty with a hose. Ive had the same filter pads for 6 years. Personally i see no need to put LR in the back chambers.

For lighting you can go with Coral compulsions par 30 which is $50 and all you will need is a desk lamp to power it. With that route you can have any corals if down the road you want sps. If the fluval takes filter cartridges you can just clean them when they get dirty with a hose. Ive had the same filter pads for 6 years. Personally i see no need to put LR in the back chambers.

The only reason I want to keep the stock light is because If I am going to unload $50 on a light, then I might as well do the cookie jar idea.

The only reason I want to do the LR is because I think it would be cool to see the dark and light part of the aquarium. If they can be taken out, I wan to try to do that ;)

I would but my LFS is 20 miles away and a hassle to get to. :mellow: But anyway, best to start with the easier corals anyway :lol:

Ah shoot :closedeyes: Mine is really close by, I always take it for granted :D

As for lighting, if you're starting off simple, and I'm not sure how it'll fit the Fluval if you go with that, but there is the standard 9w Picotope light that is currently about 12 dollars.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15493

Ah shoot :closedeyes: Mine is really close by, I always take it for granted :D

As for lighting, if you're starting off simple, and I'm not sure how it'll fit the Fluval if you go with that, but there is the standard 9w Picotope light that is currently about 12 dollars.

would that lamp be any better than the one on the Fuval. This was my original idea with the cookie jar aqarium, maybe I should do that and that light.

very tough decision.

Hi guys, sorry I have not been able to get back to yall today.

I am tottally down for the Fluval,

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Desktop-Glass-Aquarium-2-gallon/dp/B0047XMQBM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1397868615&sr=8-6&keywords=2+gallon+aquarium

Its cheap as heck and will save a tone of $$. My only concern was some hinted that the stock light was "not enough" but it seems to work for most

I love the PJ's reef, but the price is a no no hahaha

PS: RO water is guaranteed now, not using tap. done :)

anyways getting back to the list, with the new tank:

heater - $25

testing supplies - $25

refractometer - $30

mini thermostat in tank - $5

Salt - $10

refractometer - $30

live rock - $ 15

live sand - $10

other expenses etc. - $30

Adds up to $180,

Wow now the prices are really coming down. Anyone else have any additions subtractions etc B) ?

BTW, whats the deal with the filter on the 2 gallon, can I gut it and fill it with live rock, or do I have to keep replacing the cartridges etc?

EDIT: Ohh and do you guys think I could cover the top opening a bit more to prevent evaporation?

Best as always,

JB

You can do all kinds of neat stuff with the Specs. I have live rock rubble and filter fleece in my 5 gallon spec.

If you are going to go the Spec route, I would suggest the 5 Gallon, you will need to upgrade the lights on either. You will need to modify it for satisfactory marine use. You will likely want/need to by extra equipment. You might even fit a fish or two in there. ;)

Just decide if you want a cheap tank, or a small tank because the two are not always exclusive.

I was kinda hoping you were going to follow Brandon429s advice first as my initial research shows him to be "the guy" when it comes to these simplistic mini reefs.

The Spec route is a little different, more techy and mechanical in nature.

There are a few good threads going on regarding costs tonight. I think a good way to look at it is that the tanks under 25 gallons are actually fairly close in price. it's not really the volume of water as that is only one parameter of the whole system.

So for a lowish cost outright classy solution, you could go with the 2 Gallon deal you were looking at originally looking at.

Brandon429's advice about accessories is sound too. That extra stuff does not necessarily mean better success.

Ultimately choose the route you think you might get the most enjoyment out of.

You can do all kinds of neat stuff with the Specs. I have live rock rubble and filter fleece in my 5 gallon spec.

If you are going to go the Spec route, I would suggest the 5 Gallon, you will need to upgrade the lights on either. You will need to modify it for satisfactory marine use. You will likely want/need to by extra equipment. You might even fit a fish or two in there. ;)

Just decide if you want a cheap tank, or a small tank because the two are not always exclusive.

I was kinda hoping you were going to follow Brandon429s advice first as my initial research shows him to be "the guy" when it comes to these simplistic mini reefs.

The Spec route is a little different, more techy and mechanical in nature.

There are a few good threads going on regarding costs tonight. I think a good way to look at it is that the tanks under 25 gallons are actually fairly close in price. it's not really the volume of water as that is only one parameter of the whole system.

So for a lowish cost outright classy solution, you could go with the 2 Gallon deal you were looking at originally looking at.

Brandon429's advice about accessories is sound too. That extra stuff does not necessarily mean better success.

Ultimately choose the route you think you might get the most enjoyment out of.

Thanks for the quick response. I am really trying to stay 2g OR under. If I have to upgrade the light on the tank, then I would switch back to the 2g cookie jar and buy something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Wave-point-6-Inch-8-Watt-Daylight-Output/dp/B007ZK80YG/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_sp_3_1_H8X7?ie=UTF8&refRID=15VWYDYW50C93KAKH8X7

tough decisions ahead. really not sure which way to go here

You'll upgrade your light at some point, and you end up spending more in the end. If I could go back to when I started reefing one of the things I would tell myself is to just get the best stuff. JMO.

You'll upgrade your light at some point, and you end up spending more in the end. If I could go back to when I started reefing one of the things I would tell myself is to just get the best stuff. JMO.

I understand that down the road If I want to go bigger and better I will have to upgrade. But, are you talking about the cookie jar light or the 2g fufluval?

Best,

JB

Either light will need an upgrade, every one says they only want softies at first then they try LPS then they want sps. This all usually happen within a few month as well. But i would stick with the fluval even if you don't get a good light.

I understand that down the road If I want to go bigger and better I will have to upgrade. But, are you talking about the cookie jar light or the 2g fufluval?

Best,

JB

Either light will need an upgrade, every one says they only want softies at first then they try LPS then they want sps. This all usually happen within a few month as well. But i would stick with the fluval even if you don't get a good light.

If I go with the fluval Im going with the stock light. You would still go with it?

Ya my Spec came with a fixture that has 37 tiny LEDs. The whole fixture only draws 12 watts from the wall, so the LEDs are only ~0.33 watts a piece.

Also the colour looks nice with freshwater plants, but won't be nearly as nice looking for corals as lights with some blues and violets in it.

Ideally you want to avoid having to add extra blues etc to a white light if you can get it done with one fixture.

Unless you are set on the rectangle fixture, the par38 LEDs are available in a decent selection of quality and price. eBay as them as cheap as 29.99 free ship, other potentially better quality ones are up around a hundred.

I am planing on DIY some small LEDs for my jar, that was the point of this project for me, a low buck reef to bring to work but I am already having to slap my hand, I just about purchased a Halo PAR38 LED for my jar at a cost of $120 plus ship.

It's a vicious cycle!

One of the first things you should do is figure out what colour temperature you want, then see what is available. 10,000K would be a "white" light, 15,000K has a decent amount of blue, 20,000K should be really blue.

Having a few purple LEDs in the mix would be choice. Really makes the corals pop.

For reference the fluval spec light is around 4000K-6500K (rough guess) and would make a reef tank look like barf.

Honestly I've been using tap water for 7 or 8 months now, I've never had a problem with it but ymmv. Also that light would look terrible.

Honestly I've been using tap water for 7 or 8 months now, I've never had a problem with it but ymmv.

love the controversy. Still feeling RO is just the safe thing to do.

I also found the PAR38 on amazon for $23. would this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Feit-Electric-Dimmable-Weatherproof-Outdoor/dp/B00ARKIP5U/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1397874100&sr=1-1&keywords=par38+LED

of course I would need some type of lamp with it. anyone have an idea of a good one?

I'm not sure but I think it would make the corals look like crap.

Any reason you don't want to get the picotope? It is on sale for $40 and is only 3 gallons. Once you add rock and sand it won't even be 3 gallons anymore. Free shipping if you add another item you need. It will have a lot more room for coral placement and small critters than a jar.

Btw Walmart has heaters for 2-10g tanks for around $10 I believe. Non-adjustable but they work.

I'm not sure but I think it would make the corals look like crap.

Any reason you don't want to get the picotope? It is on sale for $40 and is only 3 gallons. Once you add rock and sand it won't even be 3 gallons anymore. Free shipping if you add another item you need. It will have a lot more room for coral placement and small critters than a jar.

Btw Walmart has heaters for 2-10g tanks for around $10 I believe. Non-adjustable but they work.

Im not interested in over 2g <_< I know, its just a personal decision that I have to stick to.

What about just taking the light from that tank If I can find it sold separately? maybe put it on the cookie jar?

It's just a 9W PC bulb, nothing to get excited about. I think it might be a similar bulb to what Brandon429 used.

As far as the PAR fixture, any type of clamp fixture you like as they have a regular Edison style base. Office stores, clamp lights from hardware stores, garage sales etc. You may have to remove the shade part if it is not designed for that big of a bulb.

It's just a 9W PC bulb, nothing to get excited about. I think it might be a similar bulb to what Brandon429 used.

As far as the PAR fixture, any type of clamp fixture you like as they have a regular Edison style base. Office stores, clamp lights from hardware stores, garage sales etc. You may have to remove the shade part if it is not designed for that big of a bulb.

ohh so you would recommend that over:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZK80OG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

?

Im not interested in over 2g <_< I know, its just a personal decision that I have to stick to.

What about just taking the light from that tank If I can find it sold separately? maybe put it on the cookie jar?

Make a deep sand bed and it will have less than 2g :D Idk, it's kind of long for a Jar.

How about this? It's $30, free shipping and high clarity. You can buy that $10 light for it and grow softies or go for a par30 and grow anything.

http://www.amazon.com/HIGH-CLARITY-GLASS-CUBE-GALLONS/dp/B00FN56GQ4/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1397876137&sr=8-32&keywords=betta+cube

if37YdN5odl2n.jpg

Make a deep sand bed and it will have less than 2g :D Idk, it's kind of long for a Jar.

How about this? It's $30, free shipping and high clarity. You can buy that $10 light for it and grow softies or go for a par30 and grow anything.

http://www.amazon.com/HIGH-CLARITY-GLASS-CUBE-GALLONS/dp/B00FN56GQ4/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1397876137&sr=8-32&keywords=betta+cube

iQRB8btjsHi9X.jpg

that would be reasonable... whats this $10 light?

Also why this over the cookie jar tank?

Also, what type of filter / bubbler would you recommend

Yes, I would just get the par30 down the road when you run into more spending money. $70(par30+fixture) is a godsend for good lighting. You new guys don't know how good you have it with prices on lighting these days. *end grandpa rant*

If I go with the fluval Im going with the stock light. You would still go with it?

Yes, I would just get the par30 down the road when you run into more spending money. $70(par30+fixture) is a godsend for good lighting. You new guys don't know how good you have it with prices on lighting these days. *end grandpa rant*

I do like the idea of a desk lamp with a par30 in it.

maybe like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Harbor-Architect-Swing-Black/dp/B002ZKDUVE/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1397877966&sr=1-2&keywords=desk+lamp

but whats the cheapest light I could get with that? most par 30's are around $65 online.

Archived