WP-25 not that strong? And spark at power cord

ps2cho

So I am wondering if my WP-25 is not as powerful as others....

I've heard people say that in 100g tanks, the wp-25 can still blow waves easily. I run mine on my 60g square (31x30x15) and it makes a nice surface ripple, but hardly a wave...

Also, my control unit gives off a small spark when I plug/unplug the power cord it. Is this normal? I know its cheap chinese stuff...

I wouldn't think that a spark would matter too much as long as you don't smell burning or anything. Plenty of stuff that I own sparks when I plug it in. What setting to you have the speed on? s1, s2, or s3?

And, how many volts is the power supply? Did you buy it used? I think they first gen had power supply issues.

Oh sorry. S1 yes.

Here's a video:

Need to find a cable so I can upload it in 1080p...but this will do for now:

It sparks at the outlet/plug interface when you plug it in? Or when you unplug it? Make sure the pump is off before you plug/unplug it. That should stop it from arcing at the wall plug.

if you have the knob at the 10 oclock spot that doesnt make a wave for me i can usually dial in a pretty large wave in my 40breeder with the knob around 2-3 oclock position. I like else mode alot more then the wave mode so i hardly ever use W1

I guess which setting would move more water? The faster Frequency or the wave?

Maybe I have never given it the time on a slower mode to create the wave...

How do you turn the pump off without disconnecting the power? I don't see any OFF buttons?

It sparks on every scenario. At the plug adapter for plugging in/unplugging, AND at the controller in&out.

Are you running a GFCI?

Not sure about the sparking. At the controller you are dealing with 24V DC, while at the wall you are 110V AC. Sparking in both places sounds a bit odd to me.

mine sparks same way when plugging it in. few other pieces of equipment do the same thing. I wouldnt be to worried about it just dont put your finger on it

I don't get sparking from anything else I plug in...or at least not every time, maybe once in a blue moon. The Jebao is every time.

I have a GFCI, yes.

I don't get sparking from anything else I plug in...or at least not every time, maybe once in a blue moon. The Jebao is every time.

I have a GFCI, yes.

You get sparking when plugging in if the load has a high input capacitance. You get sparking when unplugging if the load is pulling a lot of current at the time of unplug. A load with high inductance will do that too.

It should be rocking your tank I have mine on a 40 breeder in w1 s3 with dial all the way to the right on a 12v power supply. Try it on the 100 percent setting h1 should be blowing a sandstorm if it dosnt I'd say you may have a faulty one.

It should be rocking your tank I have mine on a 40 breeder in w1 s3 with dial all the way to the right on a 12v power supply. Try it on the 100 percent setting h1 should be blowing a sandstorm if it dosnt I'd say you may have a faulty one.

W1 S3 dial to the right hardly does anything. Yeh it makes a small wave, but nowhere near blowing over the sides. Its only 30" width to the opposing wall and about 4" under the surface.

I was considering getting a second WP-25 anyway so that I can improve flow. I can always turn them both down if needed. That way I can tuck my MP10 into a corner and have it blow under the rocks on a lower setting, or repurpose it into a smaller tank in the future aka frag tank.

Is there a place that I can ensure I will get the latest generation?

gulfsurfer101

Amazon. Mine seems to do nice random flow the full length of my 48" tank. I posted a video on YouTube of the wp25 creating random flow in all corners of my 75g posted to my thread in the large reef forums. You can see the gap on the opposite end of the tank go from wave to calm to wave in under a minute. I keep mine on else mode on the most powerful gph setting wuth my dial tuned in at about 75 to 90% to get that flow pattern. Found it. This is the amount of flow I'm in my 75g, not a crazy amount but still not weak at all.

Gulfsurfer101's 75g reef tank with jeabo wp25:

3 times banned?

Anyway, if you really want to solve the problem you might try taking it apart, front twist snaps off, wipe, and reassemble.

Do you have a variable voltage power supply? Is it set to 24 volts?

I am guessing something is wrong with the power supply if cleaning does not fix it. The wp25 is more powerful than an mp10. I have both in my 40 and two wp25s in my 46. No power issues.

My observations of 'issues" with my WP-25 (anecdotal) on my 28 gallon are the following. But I'll start that I'm running at 12V on the adjustable supply and it is very strong; just low enough to keep from aggravating my fish. At 24V, it blows water out of the tank from turbulence and waves.

Flow "issues" (causes and solutions) from the most usual to the least usual:

• I have to clean the WP-25 every month or so; it loses a lot of flow as it slime's up with algae. When dirty enough, I actually find I can move the voltage input from 12V to 18 or 24V without much change in flow. At this point I remove it from the tank, pull it apart, run it under warm water and use a tooth brush to scrub clean. When I put it back in the tank, it's back to normal and blows hard at 12V again
  • I keep the controller out of direct light as it can damage the photo (daylight) sensor. However, sometimes it moves just far enough from my light source that it thinks it's night. The night sensor reduces flow by 50% so you never will see max output.
  • Sometimes I have to reset the power supply by unplugging for 10-seconds and then plugging back in. It could be the power supply but I suspect instead that this in early sign the pump impeller is getting a bit too dirty. I'm not a electrical engineer so I can't say why this happens for sure.

Hope this helps.

I am using this on my pump

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Adapter-15V-18-5V-19-5V/dp/B004I5ERUW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1397963257&sr=8-3&keywords=universal+power+supply

I wanted to run in else mode but when it would ramp up full speed it would blow sand all over on the other side of the tank. so I am running it at 20v and its perfect still alot of flow but just enough of a drop i power to keep it from stirring up sand all over.

Maybe I should clean it then before giving up on it as a dud....I haven't cleaned it in over 4 months I think.

Maybe I should clean it then before giving up on it as a dud....I haven't cleaned it in over 4 months I think.

Ahhh,

yes, that is the one negative to this pump. The parts are all on the loose side and dirt gets into the moving parts and kills performance. I have to clean mine once every month to keep it at full speed while the MP10 can go much longer. I don't need full power so I drag it out to 2 months by adjusting the power. By the time I get to the end of 2 months I am running it at full power, max voltage.

Adding:

It doesn't take much to clean it. I just lift the pump out of the housing, twist off the front, tank the impeller out and wipe down the magnet, along with taking a toothbrush to clean where the impeller sits. Put back together and bam, full speed.

WOW I just cleaned it and its a massive difference.

I no longer can keep it at S1. It is blowing water over the side now.

That did the trick! I guess its a monthly maintenance item!

Archived