ReefCleaners.org

7.2g Cold Water Reef Build

Tamberav

By the way.. the small clumps of algae on the sand are just loose clumps I need to siphon out next water change. It is left over from when I plucked it.

The oddest thing about this tank is no algae grows on the sand... ever. I can not say that about my tropical reef tanks at all.. It is random beach sand from a freshwater lake. It is never cleaned yet stays absolutely pristine.

So odd. 

It is also more dense then what we use.. it doesn't blow all over really or cloud even though it is sugar sand size...it just sinks. 

If/when I move back MN, I am getting some more of this sand from the same spot and trying it out in a tropical reef. You can't stop me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ugh spammers!

37 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Wow! What a difference, Great job cleaning this tank up. Look at all those little nems, delightful.

Thanks! I was a little worried but all the nems were there hiding under a green field. 

I actually want to add some new rock at some point here... it has been 8? years and it is time for a change I think and to add some height to the tank. 

It won't be typical dry rock though, been looking into options from freshwater. Stuff like this. 

mini-landschaft-seiryu-ryuoh-dark.jpg

image.png.97c7233509a632bd54c05bb2cc510e32.png

• Like 2

Oo, that looks like an excellent idea! The tank's pretty, and looks fairly natural, but there's definitely room to spice up the aesthetic value of the hardscape. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Tired said:

Oo, that looks like an excellent idea! The tank's pretty, and looks fairly natural, but there's definitely room to spice up the aesthetic value of the hardscape. 

Ya I agree. Originally I left it flat because that is sort of how a tide pool might be but I have all this vertical space and cold water gorgs are NPS and difficult so I am thinking it is time for some rock.

1 hour ago, Harrisonbored said:

Have you seen Pagoda Rock?  Texture wise it might match closer to what you have already.1300089883_ScreenShot2023-01-16at9_19_59AM.png.b1ed10960af03c8ea6387d4574f1d8a3.png

I have not, looks nice. I am not familiar with freshwater at all.. ha! I think a LFS near me has a lot of stuff to choose from so I was going to take a peek when I get time. 

• Like 1

By the way, I have one Catalina goby left of the pair. One disappeared over the summer. I got mine in 2019 and I found online: The Monterey Bay Aquarium houses Catalina Gobies in a chilled aquarium maintained between 58 and 60°F, and their Catalina Gobies’ average lifespan is 2 years.

So guessing I lost one to old age and this remaining guy is a senior citizen. 

I am keeping my eye out for some more but they are hard to find. Otherwise I will find some other fish to add once this guy moves on. 

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Incredible to see the longevity of this system still popping with nice colors and seeing all the options you can have in such a small system!