Coral Vue Hydros

7.2g Cold Water Reef Build

Tamberav

See I feel like temperate tanks should be tall. But that is due in part to the fact that I really want plume nems and they get quite tall. As do many of the macros.

Ah kind of forgot about air lift for moving water. I rather quite hate it as I feel like it always ends up being more hassle then its worth.

See I feel like temperate tanks should be tall. But that is due in part to the fact that I really want plume nems and they get quite tall. As do many of the macros.

Ah kind of forgot about air lift for moving water. I rather quite hate it as I feel like it always ends up being more hassle then its worth.

Even without sand, this tank is too short and small for a full grown plume. I am not sure how fast they grow though but 10 inches balled up would take up the entire tank :D A baby one would probably work for a long while though and I'll probably have to get a little one. They are beautiful. I already need a bigger tank :lol:

I found some evidence about how a DSB isn't necessary for de-nitrification but that a DSB offers more surface area and why there is better results but how small sand is most important than depth. I ended up doing 3 inches for now. I think moon nem's like to bury their foot anyways?

I think the air is an essential part to algae scrubbers, not the water movement.

So far the tank hovers around 58-60 degrees before I added the new stuff. Going to see where the temp settles to now. Waiting on drfosterandsmith to get the inline pump in stock.

• Like 1

Such a killer coldwater tank. Very nicely done.

:wub: Thanks! That means a lot to me coming from you. All your nice rimless tanks. :happy:

• Like 1
Nanofreak79

That chiller is sweet. I watched a video on it before. Can't wait to see how it grows out. You have plenty of nice tanks too. Love your builds.

• Like 1

Plume nems are one of my all time favorite nems. Those and Hellfire nems, which I probably will never have for several reasons, no one wants to collect them for a reason.

I think you need a Snake Locks nem and/or a painted beadlet nem.

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Your Temps are perfect 58-60 F degrees exactly what I am getting with my 2 gallon temperate system.

If you can find an outside pump which I can recommend some if you don't know some.

I tried them before but they were not practical for my system during that time.

Because your system is plumbed outside your Temps will drop if the pump is on the outside.

Let me know if you want recommended pumps I tried?

• Like 1

Cycle finally hit 2 days ago. Ammonia was 0.5 and the nems started hiding under the sand. I did a 50% WC. Tested tonight, 0 ammonia. Had water ready so did a 50% WC anyways.

Nem's are back out and I fed them both yesterday. Tested ammonia tonight and it is 0.25, getting water ready in case it keeps creeping up.

Will update with some better pics of the nem's soon.

Polarcollision

I am guessing the nem's are moonglows after googling lots of images and reading descriptions.

From the nems I see in tide pools around here, I'd say moonglows too. Though the stubby tentacles are throwing me a bit. Might just be stressed. I tried plumose nems, but they were the most finicky. They filter plankton and phyto and need cooler temps. IIRC around 50 degrees.

• Like 1

From the nems I see in tide pools around here, I'd say moonglows too. Though the stubby tentacles are throwing me a bit. Might just be stressed. I tried plumose nems, but they were the most finicky. They filter plankton and phyto and need cooler temps. IIRC around 50 degrees.

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate the comments from someone with experience. I am traveling in unknown territory! I need all the help I can get :bowdown:

They have much longer skinny tentacles now. I am glad you said that because I wasn't sure if the long tentacles was a bad sign. I guess it's normal!

I'll stay away from plumose nem's then. Maybe in the future I can try one once the tank is rock solid and I upgrade my hardware.

• Like 1
Polarcollision

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate the comments from someone with experience. I am traveling in unknown territory! I need all the help I can get :bowdown:

They have much longer skinny tentacles now. I am glad you said that because I wasn't sure if the long tentacles was a bad sign. I guess it's normal!

I'll stay away from plumose nem's then. Maybe in the future I can try one once the tank is rock solid and I upgrade my hardware.

No problem! I'd love to see your tank do very well for you!

Since Coldwater Marine Aquatics is likely your primary source of livestock, here's a link to average water temps in Oregon: http://www.currentresults.com/Oceans/Temperature/oregon-average-water-temperature.php and here's water temps for much of the PNW coastal areas: http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/npac.html Water temps in Puget Sound and Oly coast --which has almost the exact same creatures-- are a few degrees lower in winter (45*), but about the same. I found the coldwater tank did better when temps were around 52-54 degrees, rather than inching towards 60. Steve Weast is the master of coldwater tanks and he targeted 55*. Actually, here's a link to his display setup with great info: http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_coldwater.htm I kept aggregating nems that are found living with the moonglows in tide pools. Both can live in a drinking cup, fed once a month, but only if temps are 55 degrees or lower. Even with circulating water and lots of water changes, 60 degrees was the survival point rather than the thriving point.

This might help for water parameters, I took my test kits out to the Sound to get an idea of where to keep my tank. Salinity ranged from 1.015-1.023. probably because of freshwater outlets. Nitrates were 3-20, phosphates were 0-1 in winter and up to 10 in spring/summer with the algae blooms. Alk was around 10, calcium was around 400 (test kit resolution was 50 points), and I don't remember pH.

If you ever do want to try plumose nems, I'm happy to mail you water to try and culture whatever is growing in it. This book is FANTASTIC as a guide: http://www.amazon.com/Plankton-Culture-Manual-Sixth-Edition/dp/0966296044

EDIT: here's another great resource for PNW nems: http://www.asnailsodyssey.com/LEARNABOUT/ANEMONE/anemFeed.php

• Like 1

No problem! I'd love to see your tank do very well for you!

Since Coldwater Marine Aquatics is likely your primary source of livestock, here's a link to average water temps in Oregon: http://www.currentresults.com/Oceans/Temperature/oregon-average-water-temperature.php and here's water temps for much of the PNW coastal areas: http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/npac.html Water temps in Puget Sound and Oly coast --which has almost the exact same creatures-- are a few degrees lower in winter (45*), but about the same. I found the coldwater tank did better when temps were around 52-54 degrees, rather than inching towards 60. Steve Weast is the master of coldwater tanks and he targeted 55*. Actually, here's a link to his display setup with great info: http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_coldwater.htm I kept aggregating nems that are found living with the moonglows in tide pools. Both can live in a drinking cup, fed once a month, but only if temps are 55 degrees or lower. Even with circulating water and lots of water changes, 60 degrees was the survival point rather than the thriving point.

This might help for water parameters, I took my test kits out to the Sound to get an idea of where to keep my tank. Salinity ranged from 1.015-1.023. probably because of freshwater outlets. Nitrates were 3-20, phosphates were 0-1 in winter and up to 10 in spring/summer with the algae blooms. Alk was around 10, calcium was around 400 (test kit resolution was 50 points), and I don't remember pH.

If you ever do want to try plumose nems, I'm happy to mail you water to try and culture whatever is growing in it. This book is FANTASTIC as a guide: http://www.amazon.com/Plankton-Culture-Manual-Sixth-Edition/dp/0966296044

EDIT: here's another great resource for PNW nems: http://www.asnailsodyssey.com/LEARNABOUT/ANEMONE/anemFeed.php

Thanks, I will read up on these. I would say since it is mid July (temps around 90 outside) the tank hovers around 58-60 (56 at night). But I am going to replace 13w pump which I feel is fighting the chiller. That should help.

Minnesota has icy cold (below 0) winters so It should run cooler in winter, can probably hit that target 55. Especially since the tank is in the coldest room in the house. A bigger chiller wasn't really in my budget right now but like all my tanks, I will inevitably upgrade stuff.

Fed once a month??? I have been feeding them 2-3 times a week :P I am going to have some fat nem's.

Do you have any suggestions on nem's for this tank? Something that can handle the summer temps.

Hmm, impressive, now I'm in torn between this chiller or a 1/10hp. I have a 5 gallon coldwater tank. Was just on the phone with the guy who sells the chiller you purchased and he thought a 20 degree pulldown was feasible for my lower volume of water. You mentioned with outside temps around 90 the tank was hovering around 58-60. Any idea what that temp would be without the chiller?

Thanks, I will read up on these. I would say since it is mid July (temps around 90 outside) the tank hovers around 58-60 (56 at night). But I am going to replace 13w pump which I feel is fighting the chiller. That should help.

Minnesota has icy cold (below 0) winters so It should run cooler in winter, can probably hit that target 55. Especially since the tank is in the coldest room in the house. A bigger chiller wasn't really in my budget right now but like all my tanks, I will inevitably upgrade stuff.

Fed once a month??? I have been feeding them 2-3 times a week :P I am going to have some fat nem's.

Do you have any suggestions on nem's for this tank? Something that can handle the summer temps.

Polarcollision

Cool - hope that works to drop your temps a touch. Another idea to get the water to drop another couple degrees-- just by adding more rock. Started making a bit of a pillar/back wall structure that insulated and had lots of hiding places.

Anything in upper zone tide pools are hardier. They need to survive being exposed in summer at 70-90* and in winter down to 16* for a couple hours. So those moonglow nems and aggregators are good choices. There's also christmas anemones

xmasanemone.jpg

I wonder if Stu can get you these for filtration

MusselBedCloseup.jpg

These urchins are great for eating algae that grows like crazy. I tried chitons but they scratched up the acrylic pretty badly and the snails were useless for algae cleanup. So counter to tropical thinking! :-) Oh, but you know what crab was amazing for cleanup? A juvenile red rock crab. It hitchhiked in on my sand and grew to about 1". Cute little pink thing. You didn't ask this stuff. Hope you don't mind - I'm just excited to see it come together. There's not much info out there to learn from.

S._droe.JPG

• Like 1

I am surprised the urchin didn't scratch the acrylic too. I like the info, more info the better!! I would like this thread to be a source of information for others trying the colder side of things.

That is too bad about the chitons. They are so beautiful, I was hoping to get one but not worth buffing out the scratches.

Did you try margarita snails at all? They seemed to be pretty good at algae in my reef tank. I tossed them into this cold one and hoping they do as good a job. I think mexican turbo's are cooler water too? My mexican's will eat anything.

Hmm, impressive, now I'm in torn between this chiller or a 1/10hp. I have a 5 gallon coldwater tank. Was just on the phone with the guy who sells the chiller you purchased and he thought a 20 degree pulldown was feasible for my lower volume of water. You mentioned with outside temps around 90 the tank was hovering around 58-60. Any idea what that temp would be without the chiller?

Is the tank thick acrylic or glass? I am sure that is a factor to consider. Filtration and flow is another, pumps, skimmers, ect would all add heat. I am using a mp10 to keep the motor out of the water. If I add a skimmer, I will add an air driven one so again, no pump in the water.

I am not positive what the temp would be if I turned everything off but I want to say it pulls down around 15 degrees. The pump they sell on their website is only 4 watts vs my 13 watt pump. I will update how it does once I get the pump swapped out.

The tank is 1/2" acrylic. I'm going to do my best to keep any 'watts' outside the tank. For example, I'm thinking of an inline pump to drive the chiller. It's good to hear from people in terms of setup and actual experiences. Helps us all learn a bit more.

I am surprised the urchin didn't scratch the acrylic too. I like the info, more info the better!! I would like this thread to be a source of information for others trying the colder side of things.

That is too bad about the chitons. They are so beautiful, I was hoping to get one but not worth buffing out the scratches.

Did you try margarita snails at all? They seemed to be pretty good at algae in my reef tank. I tossed them into this cold one and hoping they do as good a job. I think mexican turbo's are cooler water too? My mexican's will eat anything.

Is the tank thick acrylic or glass? I am sure that is a factor to consider. Filtration and flow is another, pumps, skimmers, ect would all add heat. I am using a mp10 to keep the motor out of the water. If I add a skimmer, I will add an air driven one so again, no pump in the water.

I am not positive what the temp would be if I turned everything off but I want to say it pulls down around 15 degrees. The pump they sell on their website is only 4 watts vs my 13 watt pump. I will update how it does once I get the pump swapped out.

Polarcollision

Oh yeah, the urchins would probably scratch it up too, only they couldn't climb it! It was fantastic cause they had to stay on the rocks. :-) I never tried snails that I didn't see right out there at low tide. Crossing my fingers that those two will work well for you. These are DIRTY, DIRTY systems! Hair algae was my nemesis. Part of the reason I switched to the Nuvo system. I wanted a back chamber design that allowed for better/easier use of skimmer and media. Though I think you're fine sand will work better than the crushed barnacle substrate I used. You know, yours looks like the beach sand around here. It's filled with crazy worms and isopods. If you're into it, there's a blade eelgrass that grows in the sand and eats up trapped nutrients. Blood starfish, gunnels, lumpsuckers, moonglow& aggregating nems and opalescent nudibranchs, dungeness crabs are usually found there.

Eelgrasswtmk.jpg

• Like 1
  • Tamberav changed the title to 7.2g Cold Water Reef Build