Pod Your Reef

7.2g Cold Water Reef Build

Tamberav

It's so beautiful!!!!

Now the 3 month cycle ;)

lol I hope not... Stu is sending me live sand and rock from his tank and bottled bacteria sooo.. I think that would shorten it.

• Like 3

So I priced Acrylic today to make myself a cold water tank. I think I may be sick from sticker shock. 1/2in is so high its crazy going to be over $120 for the acrylic if I do one the size of this tank, or $190 if I build the size I really want.

So I priced Acrylic today to make myself a cold water tank. I think I may be sick from sticker shock. 1/2in is so high its crazy going to be over $120 for the acrylic if I do one the size of this tank, or $190 if I build the size I really want.

Go for $190 imo. Do it the way you want it the first time! Then you can go look at chillers and :bling: :bling: :bling: :bling:

But hey...you can skip the expensive lighting/sand/rock/dosing.

Going to buy a cheap grow light led bulb and see if it will work for a DIY upflow algae scrubber. Couldn't find a skimmer I liked for this tank.

• Like 1
pismo_reefer

Omfg.... :wub:

SofaKingCalifornia.

Added some rock to help keep temps stable until the stuff from Stu arrives (it's in the mail!)

IMG_20140630_224148204_HDR_zpsjmjiblas.j

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Very happy to see that the tank arrived safely! I have been very dormant these days trying to transition to my new FT job back in San Francisco.

I hope to have my finances up and well wihtin the next two months and reopen Micro-Reefs with newer systems that should appeal to the nano reefers out there.

Keep up the fantastic job! Your rock work looks just beautiful and natural! :)

Mike Guerrero

• Like 3

Yeah want to do one the size of a 20l.

So how are you going to do the upflow turf scrubber? I am a bit curious how you are going to do that with the limited space and the lack of wanting to put in an internal pump.

Stuff from Stu came today :happydance: Some sand, rocks, and different types of red and green macro.

A bunch of die off of snails and worms which is to be expected with priority shipping. I will treat it like my gulfliverock and try to soft cycle it to preserve life.

oh yah.... and.. AND... I found two very much alive anenome's :) One is green, not sure of the other. Funny how snails and worms perished but the anenome's are going strong. Hardy little buggers, they were balled right up like when they get exposed to low tide.

It's all cloudy right now and I need to fix the scape again since I more or less piled it all in. Then I'll get some pics.

I think I may add a DSB, may help in nitrate removal and keep temps cooler since it will displace water. I feel like a tall tank isn't needed in a temperate reef since I don't have colorful sticks. I'm just not used to looking at 4 inches of sand bed and not sure if it will bother me aesthetically. Also, I am not sure if they work in temperate tanks or if I have the fauna for it.

Yeah want to do one the size of a 20l.

So how are you going to do the upflow turf scrubber? I am a bit curious how you are going to do that with the limited space and the lack of wanting to put in an internal pump.

An air pump with a stone inside a TV tray with screen or gravel. Much like the Santa Monica ones. Biggest challenge is deciding on a light. A DIY one from Rapid LED is $45 which is a lot of $ to power 2 LED's. Using their moonlight driver I think would be around $30. Not sure if the Chinese grow lights would work or not.

• Like 3
  • Tamberav changed the title to 7.2g Cold Water Reef Build