ReefCleaners.org

7.2g Cold Water Reef Build

Tamberav

I was going to get a tide pool sculpin and 2 saddleback gunnels which are adorable. You should look at them as there is a video where they were loving all over there owners hand

Gunnels are really cool :)

I believe they get too big for my tank. I'm going to have to upgrade to a larger tank someday. This tank is so stress free :)

• Like 1

Nice. Also have you seen fringeheads? The little fringheads are awesome. What size are you upgrading to?

Oh, I'm not upgrading right now. That is more like... should do that at some point :) I'm sort of waiting to see where my husband decides to go to school because we will have to move and everything.

I've seen them, they are crazy looking! My favorite is probably the sailfin sculpin.

• Like 5
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Gunnels are really cool :)

I believe they get too big for my tank. I'm going to have to upgrade to a larger tank someday. This tank is so stress free :)

When I first started my initial research to commence having a cold water system, I first ran studies to see which ratio I would need: probe + acrylic / volume = temp.

I soon coined the phrase 55F degrees of Coolness as I made t-shirts and it became my slogan at Reefapalooza 2012.

Part of my research also explored what types of fishes could be harbored in such a tiny tank, I was using a 2 gallon system at that time.

What arrived from our friends at Cold Water Marine Aquatics in terms of fish were a Gunnel and Fluffly Sculpin.

The Gunnel was the most odd/weird snake looking fish I had never seen. But he soon became the love and life of the tank. He never bullied bothered or disturbed anything.

I also learned they come in various sizes and take forever to grow. Mine came in the size of half a pencil in length and girth and in just about 1 year of having him grew only in length about 1/4 inch.

But this guy had the personality of no other fish I had seen, with his little brain I could see that he would always be thinking but of what as he would stare at me for hours at a time.

Those were some of my best memories I have had with cold water critters, I just wanted to share.

• Like 3

I will have to keep it in mind.

The red ones are stunning :)

Longfin_Gunnel_006.jpg

But this guy had the personality of no other fish I had seen, with his little brain I could see that he would always be thinking but of what as he would stare at me for hours at a time.

Sound like an amazing critter! Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1
Polarcollision

The gunnel was my favorite fish of all tanks, temperate and tropical. When it was hungry it would swim from rock crevice to the front corner of the tank and follow us as we moved around the room. It seemed like there was someone home, ya know?

• Like 2
AquaticEngineer

Boxed and waiting for Fedex Pickup, should be there tomorrow afternoon ;)

Want me tell you whats in it? Or should I make you wait for your surprises............ :lol:

• Like 2

Boxed and waiting for Fedex Pickup, should be there tomorrow afternoon ;)

Want me tell you whats in it? Or should I make you wait for your surprises............ :lol:

ha!! I actually like surprises!

• Like 1
AquaticEngineer

I kinda just packed as much as I could fit into the box including a rock that had a green anemone I couldn't get off that has a nice patch of...........hmmm .............should I tell you now? Nah :D

I'm pretty sure I at least got everything we had talked about getting for you in this shipment.

• Like 1
Dr.Brain Coral

Those Green Surf Nems are Awesome but lately I have fallen in love with Beadlet Nems. I am thinking if I win the Nano reef contest I will use it as a coldwater tank.......

• Like 2
AquaticEngineer

Those Green Surf Nems are Awesome but lately I have fallen in love with Beadlet Nems. I am thinking if I win the Nano reef contest I will use it as a coldwater tank.......

The greens are awesome, especially the tiny ones :D I sent her a couple 2" ones I had in my own tank for several months.

I have 5 red beadlets right now, but I am power feeding them trying to get them to spew out some babies before I sell any off.

Here's some pics from my 7.2gallon from last night. I'm running a RGB knock off I made of a Kessil over this tank, the reds pop like crazy!

1937466_10152412206661056_46710702898012

10698470_10152412203276056_1351964104979

10665068_10152412205196056_8127492823598

10616683_10152412208596056_7814205338421

:naughtydance::scarry:omgomgomg:haha::ninja::wub::eek::grouphug: <-- My excitement feels something like that ;)

9:29 am
On FedEx vehicle for delivery
DULUTH, MN

Its getting closer.......;)

• Like 4

The pink stuff on that rock is an encrusting hyrdrocoral in the Stylantheca family :D

How'd the the shrimp do?

Dang, that is so cool! Thank you!!

The shrimp seemed totally fine and active. Really pretty! He is sooooooooo tiny that I have no idea where he is hiding right now.

I noticed the barnacles on the snails were alive too :)

The scuplin has got to be one of the coolest fish I have had. He sees me and struts right up watching me. He isn't doing the typical hiding behavior new fish do.

I want Pics and I want them NOW!!! :flower:

I got a few.

• Tamberav changed the title to 7.2g Cold Water Reef Build