Coral Vue Hydros

7.2g Cold Water Reef Build

Tamberav

On 8/30/2020 at 10:22 PM, Tamberav said:

I don't dose and don't test! I just do water changes (I try for weekly but that doesn't always happen). If I did dose, I may get more coralline or such... but maybe not since everything grows slow regardless. 

I use RODI and whatever salt I have on hand lol... fritz for awhile... instant ocean... blue bucket... I am not sure it makes any difference. I just mix it up to 1.026 and put it in a small bucket in the fridge to get cold for awhile.

For livestock:

https://gulfofme.com/ordersealife

http://www.matsucollections.com/home.html

I would also join Coldwater Marine Aquarium Owners on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ColdwaterOwners

Thank you so much! I'm so impressed with your huge success and even more so after reading your reply about your low tech approach to keeping your tank. LOL I love it!! Thanks also for passing along where to buy livestock now that Stu is no longer in business.

• 3 months later...

How about an end of the year update? I see more and more people showing an interest in cold water tanks (myself included, for awhile now), and it's always nice to come here for tried and true example of a successful temperate tank.

I've been waiting for @Micro-Reefs Aquariums to start building/selling, but might have to look else where since he seems to be at a stand still.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
11 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

How about an end of the year update? I see more and more people showing an interest in cold water tanks (myself included, for awhile now), and it's always nice to come here for tried and true example of a successful temperate tank.

I've been waiting for @Micro-Reefs Aquariums to start building/selling, but might have to look else where since he seems to be at a stand still.

Thanks for being patient... Dimensions: 20L x 20W x 18H in 3/4 cast acrylic...  In the back you have two 3/4 inch holes to receive your compressed chiller, comes also with a 3 stage removable media basket with built in spout...

Nice entry level 30 gallon. Cold water AIO SYSTEM!

20201225_220603~2.jpg

20201225_220543~2.jpg

20201226_124735~2.jpg

20201228_114840~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
10 hours ago, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

Thanks for being patient... Dimensions: 20L x 20W x 18H in 3/4 cast acrylic...  In the back you have two 3/4 inch holes to receive your compressed chiller, comes also with a 3 stage removable media basket with built in spout...

Nice entry level 30 gallon. Cold water AIO SYSTEM!

20201225_220603~2.jpg

20201225_220543~2.jpg

20201226_124735~2.jpg

20201228_114840~2.jpg

Is this available now? 

Tank is doing well... I did have the fuse blow when I was working a lot and lost a few small jewel nems but did not lose them all. So will just have to wait till they multiply again.

Will probably upgrade at some point so I can fit a skimmer easy. Otherwise tank continues on! The gobies are doing just fine.

Will try and get some new pics soon.

• Like 5

I hope you had a happy new year! I'm just peeking into a few threads that still interest me after being absent for several years now hah. I had been living in a place where I wasn't allowed to have any sized aquarium "because it might leak everywhere" which really sucked, but I think where I'm moving to soon I should be able to have one again! Yay. Anyways, I can't wait to see some new pics of this tank. 😊

• Like 3
7 hours ago, shinynic said:

I hope you had a happy new year! I'm just peeking into a few threads that still interest me after being absent for several years now hah. I had been living in a place where I wasn't allowed to have any sized aquarium "because it might leak everywhere" which really sucked, but I think where I'm moving to soon I should be able to have one again! Yay. Anyways, I can't wait to see some new pics of this tank. 😊

Hey I remember you! Welcome back 🙂

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2021 at 6:41 PM, Tamberav said:

Hey I remember you! Welcome back 🙂

Thanks! I just moved to Atlanta last night and will have my stuff soon. I'm glad to be back!

• Like 2
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
47 minutes ago, shinynic said:

Thanks! I just moved to Atlanta last night and will have my stuff soon. I'm glad to be back!

Where did you move from?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

Where did you move from?

I lived in Wisconsin for 4 year. Florida before that! Now I'm near my best friend in Atlanta. I can't wait to read up on this and get started again!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AquaticEngineer said:

Oh hi guys 🙂

I think I'm gonna need a Micro Reefs tank soon for coldwater if I keep reading these threads! 

Hey you! You still lurking here?! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
12 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Hey you! You still lurking here?! 🙂

Tana, 

Stu and Josh are legends of the throne, but in this case legends of the Temperate seas  Stu has knowledge that is considered, to me priceless for info on the fly regarding cold water inverts, fish, corals.  I have him on speed dial on my phone for texting him before I ever go to google. LOL    

For that alone, I must say, I salute him for ingenuity and knowledge! Glad to see him resurfaced from the depth of the ocean, 🙂 Tana, can we call him King Triton or Poseidon? Which of the two ruled the Temperate oceans?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Spliiiit...

BFCFFAF3-C88F-43BD-89CF-C16F046DA453.thumb.jpeg.4b3b797ff59065ac2b1a6061a245fd00.jpeg

Impressive! That happened with my 6.2 temperate as well, good stable water parameters!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
13 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

It’s so beautiful! 7 years is an incredible milestone, you should be very proud.

Any new anemone divisions?

Yes, I sold a few at some point but they split again. Everything that can reproduce seems to do so. Every once and awhile I lose a random nem but the nem's like to play fight club with each other too.

It is hard to tell how many moonglows I have as they hide in the sand for long periods sometimes then just pop up. I know I only started with a few and have several more than I started with. 

The Catalina gobies are still in there and two years old now. 

Supposedly I am the only one left in the US with jewel anemones. 

• Like 2

I didn’t clean the acrylic last I did a water change so can’t really get a FTS but will clean it with the next one 😛 Maybe even do one tonight. 

Here is a cold water peanut worm that has been with me since the beginning or maybe it is the originals offspring idk. The sand bed is full of life. 

That large snail is a mexican turbo... the ones sold for our tropical tanks 😮 I have a few margarita's and some old original now 7 year old snails too. Dang.. how long do they live lol

72993F0A-513E-46D5-9439-D9CE79FAF2DD.thumb.jpeg.edb6b69fc25bc46c6b3bba3cc6801919.jpeg

• Like 4
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
21 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Man I love this neon pink! Tank is 7 years old now... it's making me feel old! 😅

04A524AB-48D7-467D-91F6-1BDFEB4F4F05.thumb.jpeg.3efaaa390832fc9b80b75216248ed1b4.jpeg

Wow, is this really a Micro-Reefs Aquarium that has lasted this many years?  If it is I fully warranty it for leaks or defects, I am still here to support you!

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

Wow, is this really a Micro-Reefs Aquarium that has lasted this many years?  If it is I fully warranty it for leaks or defects, I am still here to support you!

Lol acrylic sure can last a long time. I already decided when I go a large custom reef tank in the 200-300g range. I am fairly certain I will do acrylic. 

I probably would have upgraded this one too if not for wanting to also just leave it alone and let it enjoy its maturity. How such a tiny sand bed can contain so much life… 

• Like 1
  • Tamberav changed the title to 7.2g Cold Water Reef Build