SaltCritters.com

7.2g Cold Water Reef Build

Tamberav

So got this put on at 5am...also new APS stand. Tank deserved some upgrades.

Everything asleep ATM 😛

2018-12-02_05-11-37

Also found some microbacter for cold water marine on eBay...figure it can't hurt to add a little diversity of bacteria back to this tank.

2018-12-02_05-17-18

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I really need to buy a orange filter for my camera for when the blues are on. Just not sure what/which to buy!

tide

The nems actually pop in the blues... will find a camera filter to fix this 😛

cwtnems

• Like 7
  • Wow 2
Chris's Fishes

You can probably find some sort of computer program to help. If not, then you can upload the pictures to a cloud service, download them to your phone, and use Google Snapseed to filter out the blues. It does wonders for me, using a smartphone camera.

This tank just keeps getting better.  I hope you are able to figure out filtering the blues.  Pics just don't do a tank justice when the blues overwhelm a pic.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

This tank just keeps getting better.  I hope you are able to figure out filtering the blues.  Pics just don't do a tank justice when the blues overwhelm a pic.

Ya no joke... I tried to use Photoshop and it's actually better in the pic I posted than it started out. I will shop around for an orange lense filter.

I got tons of baby nems all over everything in there too and one of the big green/purple ones split. I started feeding more so everything is trying to reproduce. I have stuff to start an algae scrubber in the back to combat the increased feedings. Just need to find time to get it going.

• Like 3

Coralline covered snail with his own little macroalgae plant... 

Photos turn out nice when I crank up the whites in nano-box preset 'photo mode' at least!

IMG_20181213_193836~2

IMG_20181213_193822~2

• Like 8
  • Wow 1
Ocellaris PDX
Just now, Tamberav said:

Coralline covered snail with his own little macroalgae plant... 

Photos turn out nice when I crank up the whites in nano-box preset 'photo mode' at least!

IMG_20181213_193836~2

IMG_20181213_193822~2

Looks like something from a fairy tale or game.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Ocellaris PDX said:

Looks like something from a fairy tale or game.

hehe.. the snail does spirals as he cleans so its like hes got his own little rotating mini world on his back. 

• Like 1

Some of the nems waking up for food - a bunch still hiding, like maybe 8 or so still hiding!!  The moonglows kind of do that and they multiplied so not even sure how many there are now. 

I need to clean the acrylic 😛

IMG_20181213_201204~2

IMG_20181213_201418~2

• Like 7
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

And

On 1/26/2019 at 7:45 PM, Tamberav said:

Tank is dirty, cell phone pics are ehh... but nem's don't care. 🙂

They looking happy under the nano-box tide.

2019-01-26_06-44-03

And life continues to evolve in 55F degrees of COOLNESS!  JUST AMAZING!

• Like 3
Christopher Marks
On 11/22/2018 at 8:51 PM, Tamberav said:

I got a red algae outbreak from over feeding beadlet babies but it seems to be dying from flucozole...slowly....then going to set up an algae scrubber to hopefully help with export.

Have you had any more trouble with red algae? It looks like you eradicated it successfully, do you feel the fluconazole treatment was a success in the cold tank?

27 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Have you had any more trouble with red algae? It looks like you eradicated it successfully, do you feel the fluconazole treatment was a success in the cold tank?

It's there in very small amounts. The flucanozole definitely killed a bunch off....I had a little green which dies quickly and red took a long time but did die back. Macro was not effected and neither were my nems or worms.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

i saw it on instagram. i liked-ed it.

not quiet sure what is is about kitties and tanks. mine all sleep ontop of my lagoon. a bit annoying having to clean fur off the glass everyday.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I was only on the waitlist for this guy.... for YEARS! Got an email about him long after I had forgotten it's existence...

An elegant blenny.... after about 30 min of acclimation he was out and about hunting worms and critters as this tank hasn't seen fish in years. He did nip one nem but then spit it out and looked like got a little jolt so not sure he will try that again.

Blues are still on, will try to get a better pic later, he is making a mess of the place lol...

He has all the typical comical blenny behavior 🙂  The little eyeballs looking up down... checking me out... hopping along...

MVIMG_20190702_150116

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019 at 3:16 PM, Tamberav said:

Well I was only on the waitlist for this guy.... for YEARS! Got an email about him long after I had forgotten it's existence...

An elegant blenny.... after about 30 min of acclimation he was out and about hunting worms and critters as this tank hasn't seen fish in years. He did nip one nem but then spit it out and looked like got a little jolt so not sure he will try that again.

Blues are still on, will try to get a better pic later, he is making a mess of the place lol...

He has all the typical comical blenny behavior 🙂  The little eyeballs looking up down... checking me out... hopping along...

MVIMG_20190702_150116

Hi, how is your elegant blenny doing? I found one for sale locally, but I can’t find enough information. It is been sold as tropical fish but it came from japan I think so it must be temperate water. 

8 minutes ago, Jigsaw said:

Amazing!! Can I ask where you got the Moonglows from!? I also have a temperate tank and am always always looking for livestock!

Stu no longer sells them but there are still venders, more than these two but these guys are easier to order from. I believe there are some who you can import from Japan and so on but that's not something I have tried. 

http://www.matsucollections.com/?fbclid=IwAR2-jS_gcsoTCHJHg8MvrSUV9YZKIjlQLOoIli5H62ludloTiu6xtyqxywI

https://gulfofme.com/ordersealife

8 minutes ago, allesluge said:

Hi, how is your elegant blenny doing? I found one for sale locally, but I can’t find enough information. It is been sold as tropical fish but it came from japan I think so it must be temperate water. 

He is doing great!! I am told they are very hardy... I am not sure if warmer temps would have any effect on their life span or not. White spotted pygmy filefish are temperate but ORA breeds them and I have them in my macro tank doing great.... however catalinas do poorly long term at reef temps so it is a individual fish thing.

I acclimated him down to 60 degrees over 48 hours and he dug out a cave but he is getting bolder every day and eating well. 

2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

He is doing great!! I am told they are very hardy... I am not sure if warmer temps would have any effect on their life span or not. White spotted pygmy filefish are temperate but ORA breeds them and I have them in my macro tank doing great.... however catalinas do poorly long term at reef temps so it is a individual fish thing.

I acclimated him down to 60 degrees over 48 hours and he dug out a cave but he is getting bolder every day and eating well. 

What you feed him?

9 minutes ago, allesluge said:

What you feed him?

Mysis and LRS, he hasn't shown interest in algae which is too bad as I have some I wish he would eat lol

I found someone who kept one at 58 degrees and survived two hurricanes where their tank got to 85 degrees. It lived 6 years which is probably a normal life span for these guys.

There is a good chance this guy would do fine at lower 70's. 

• Tamberav changed the title to 7.2g Cold Water Reef Build