ReefCleaners.org

7.2g Cold Water Reef Build

Tamberav

• 4 weeks later...

Okay... long overdue!! I had to find a new place to upload images. Just click on the pictures to see the full version.

The chiton in the last picture was a hitchiker and has been with me since day one. He was smaller than a dime when I first saw him.

I saw JBJ was having a sale and I had $150 gift certificate, so I picked up a 1/15 JBJ chiller. The one I have now works well considering it is about the size of my fist!!! but I wanted something with more beef to it for when I am away on weekends....

I am hoping 1/15 is enough for this small tank. May keep the current chiller too for a backup... if I got a simple controller... perhaps I could even have the spare kick on if the main one fails... starting to feel paranoid now that I am getting more livestock.

rDX8Gar3.jpg IvDFS9e7.jpg a1AJxpmN.jpg oQGYnjq1.jpg jHyN2WBa.jpg MLm1ynic.jpg ZONxuVJZ.jpg ZnK2WIYa.jpg kfkpwx7P.jpg oIqRMUbn.jpg epnxhOON.jpg 7EFRNS8m.jpg khFF9ta0.jpg

Is the blenny going to be acclimated to 55 F degrees?

I already did, he was there for a few weeks but he kept trying to blender himself in the mp10 so I ended up re-acclimating him back to tropical. Tough little bugger!

• Like 5

Love the new photos! What kind of fish is that? He's cute!

Fluffy sculpin :) He has the best personality.... not shy at all. I swear... he tries to swim through the acrylic to get closer to me.

:wub:

what is that red polka dot thing?

I believe that's the anemone when it's closed up.

Felicia is right! Its the strawberry nem closed... wanted to show its pretty polka-dot foot!

• Like 3

Fluffy sculpin :) He has the best personality.... not shy at all. I swear... he tries to swim through the acrylic to get closer to me.

Felicia is right! Its the strawberry nem closed... wanted to show its pretty polka-dot foot!

Awesome! Someday I'm finally going to get around to having a coldwater tank. Great job wth yours!

I see nems like that when I go diving around here and the patterning is so pretty when they close up :)

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Your photos are incredible and I am just in shock how beautiful the tank looks. I am so proud of you that you have kept this cold water system going this long! :)

• Like 2

The chiller arrives today, not sure if I'll have all the right parts to hook it up yet.

Awesome! Someday I'm finally going to get around to having a coldwater tank. Great job wth yours!

I see nems like that when I go diving around here and the patterning is so pretty when they close up :)

Your photos are incredible and I am just in shock how beautiful the tank looks. I am so proud of you that you have kept this cold water system going this long! :)

Thank you both :wub: I hope to have it for many years to come.

• Like 2

Just turned the new chiller on. All my fiddling in the tank brought it up to 60 degrees but it has already dropped to 59 in just a min or two. Fingers crossed the JBJ unit is reliable.

Now I need to come up with an easy solution to be able to drop the spare chiller in the display for backup when I am out of town.

• 2 weeks later...
AquaticEngineer

Whats the plumbing configuration for the new chiller?

You could probably put it right in line with the other chiller and set the temperature just a bit higher than you main chiller is set at. That way if you main chiller goes out for some reason, the secondary will kick on when the temperature climbs just above standard operating temps.

Most likely scenario is power outage though, which a backup chiller wont help unless its tied into a backup power source.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Okay it hit 55 degrees... that was fast and easy :P

Good to know you ported over to a more stronger chiller, which is key in this game!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay... long overdue!! I had to find a new place to upload images. Just click on the pictures to see the full version.

The chiton in the last picture was a hitchiker and has been with me since day one. He was smaller than a dime when I first saw him.

I saw JBJ was having a sale and I had $150 gift certificate, so I picked up a 1/15 JBJ chiller. The one I have now works well considering it is about the size of my fist!!! but I wanted something with more beef to it for when I am away on weekends....

I am hoping 1/15 is enough for this small tank. May keep the current chiller too for a backup... if I got a simple controller... perhaps I could even have the spare kick on if the main one fails... starting to feel paranoid now that I am getting more livestock.

rDX8Gar3.jpg IvDFS9e7.jpg a1AJxpmN.jpg oQGYnjq1.jpg jHyN2WBa.jpg MLm1ynic.jpg ZONxuVJZ.jpg ZnK2WIYa.jpg kfkpwx7P.jpg oIqRMUbn.jpg epnxhOON.jpg 7EFRNS8m.jpg khFF9ta0.jpg

I already did, he was there for a few weeks but he kept trying to blender himself in the mp10 so I ended up re-acclimating him back to tropical. Tough little bugger!

Wow, these pictures are incredible. I'm now interested in cold water tanks after reading through your thread. Your fluffy sculpin is amazing!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Well, I graduated college and started a new job as a Registered Nurse 2 months?? ago... That's why I havn't been on the forums like I used to... busy busy busy! However, I now have $ to buy things for my tanks.

New stuff will be coming Tues for this tank. Will take pics when it is settled.

I moved my tank onto a different stand last week to accommodate the new chiller better. The fuse blew on the chiller maybe 2 or 3? weeks ago but my husband is awesome and put bags of ice in the tank while I was at work. Had to do it that way for 24 hours before I could replace the fuses, everything was fine though. The thick acrylic + AC makes ice manageable in emergencies. If I ever get time.. I would like to put my spare chiller as a backup in case the fuse blows again and no one is home.

The LED bulb also quit working last week.... so I got a new coral compulsion 14k over it... Loving the 14k, shows the true colors nicely.

Otherwise, I moved the urchin into the back about a month ago and I have some macro algae growing now. The red coraline algae is spreading and showing up on new rocks, even rocks that came from the freshwater lake here. The pink "SPS" also showed up on a new rock. I also have some odd worms under the rocks, a pink one that builds tunnels and I even saw a tiny thin blue one. The tank has matured and is full of life.

• Like 1

Hope you like the new stuff arriving tomorrow :)

Take lots of pictures!

Will do when they get here and settled :)

Feel free to use the pictures for whatever or post them on your twitter/facebook.

• Like 1
AquaticEngineer

I tossed in a couple of sand burrowing shrimp as well as a few mussels on the house ;) Let me know how you like them, you are our test subject if we should offer them for sale :)

• Like 3

The coldwater has landed.......... ;)

At least according to fedex, lol.

Looking forward to seeing your awesome pics soon!

Everything arrived well, just need to give them time to adjust for pictures. The fish is still nervous so lights are off atm.

I saw there was a ton of different colors of jewel nem's! Can't wait to see them all open.

• Like 4
  • Tamberav changed the title to 7.2g Cold Water Reef Build