Top Shelf Aquatics

Rock flower at the LFS

bob115

So I know my LFS isn't all that great, and frankly I don't trust them with much of anything. That said, they often have neat looking rock flowers in stock for pretty cheap.

My concern with buying one is that I've seen her remove an anemone before and she just kinda grabbed it and started pulling at it until it let go. I'm not real sure if that's a safe way to remove an anemone; it seems like it could lead to the foot tearing.

Do you think its safe to get one there?

Unfortunately, that sounds like a store that would be good for selling nems with torn feet. They should be gently massaging the foot until it lets go. I did have one store gently use a credit card to get a nem off the glass -- but they still took over 5 minutes to ease it off and let me inspect the anemone's foot before they bagged it up.

frankdontsurf

Inspect before you take it. By saying "let me see its foot" before they start pulling it up they will br more careful. I just slide my finger around the foot till it breaks loose.

I'll admit I have no real idea what I'd be looking for aside very obvious (and probably grievous damage), nor have I really seen the feet on any anemones. What sort of things should I look for?

I'll admit I have no real idea what I'd be looking for aside very obvious (and probably grievous damage), nor have I really seen the feet on any anemones. What sort of things should I look for?

Watch them remove it and tell them beforehand you won't take it if any flesh is torn on the foot. So they know to be extra careful. You'll see loose flesh/skin hanging from the nem, and some possibly left on the rock it was attached to.

It will be pretty easy to see. Generally rock flower nems have pretty sturdy feet and I don't think it would be an issue unless they are extremely rough on it. Usually a gentle slide of a finger or credit card works best \, working your way around the foot until it comes loose. But as long as you don't see any noticeable tears (You'll likely see some little squiggly white goop coming out if there is a tear), I;d say you're safe.

Also, don't confuse loose tissue with their secretions. They like to create a brown stringy secretion around the foot sometimes and people often get it confused with tissue damage. Tissue damage will have white stuff spewing out.

yeah, be extra careful about the feet. These guys are supposedly indestructable, but I bought one from a LFS with a torn foot without looking, and it did not survive

Archived