inTank Media Baskets

20L LED DIY + Fixture Build! COMPLETE NOOB!

Jonnywhoop

Hey everyone, this 20L will be my first reef tank and I hope to go balls out and do it right from the get go. I want to purchase a DIY LED kit, create a fixture to hang it (ceiling or walls are not available), AC70 Fuge, with a koralia 425gph pump.

I plan to purchase RapidLED DIY 24 LED Kit.

http://www.rapidled.com/24-ultra-premium-led-diy-kit-with-dimmable-drivers/

6x10 Drilled Tapped Heat Sink (should I get the "as is" product?)

http://www.rapidled.com/drilled-tapped-6-x-10-black-anodized-aluminum-heat-sink/

Questions:

1) Is it necessary to purchase a fan, splashguard, or anything else to complete this setup?

2) Since I can substitute colors; what is the best color ratio to achieve a 14k-20k look? (I do not have any experience with reefs so I don't know what my "preference" is. I want to make the corals and fish pop, but give them the necessary lighting to grow.) I was thinking along the lines of: 10Blues, 8 Whites, 2 reds, 4 purple? Please correct me and offer better ratios for a 24LED kit!

3) Whats the best way to hang or mount this light? Can I use aluminum brackets to create a fixture? Should I hang it? Any links to simple methods of mounting a DIY kit?

4) How can I take full advantage of the dimming feature? I would like to have the ability to adjust my whites and blues seperately. I would also like the ability to create sunrise and sunset effects, how can I achieve this?

5) Is there anything else I should purchase from rapidLED or any other site to make this DIY build quicker and more efficient?

6) Any additional advice, comments, opinions, criticism?

I appreciate any help and guidance along this build. I would like to place an order soon from rapidLED as soon as I have my questions answered. THANK YOU!

EDIT

I just realized I still have a 30inch PC Coralife fixture that would be perfect for the tank. Is there anyway to gut this out and put the LEDs in here which would eliminate any need for a fixture?

Gut it

get a heatsink from heatsink usa.

Buy some fans and power supply eBay will do nicely here.

Choose your leds more care fully than a premade kit though. At least get a custom led selection. Use the splash guard from the fixture if able. Salt creep is an leds worst enemy apart from heat.

Get a good thermal paste a well.

frankdontsurf

Is there a reason you're going with RapidLED? Its a great company, great quality. There are a lot of nice led solutions that don't require you to build it all yourself. Its hard to get a clean look when you're rigging things up yourself - that's my personal experience. I DIY'd everything my first tank. I can't wait to upgrade and buy nice shiz though lol.

Gut it

get a heatsink from heatsink usa.

Buy some fans and power supply eBay will do nicely here.

Choose your leds more care fully than a premade kit though. At least get a custom led selection. Use the splash guard from the fixture if able. Salt creep is an leds worst enemy apart from heat.

Get a good thermal paste a well.

Sounds good. Recommendations on the Powersupply? As for the LED's, how many should I get for a 30 inch PC fixture? Color ratio? There is a splash guard on the tank so that isnt a problem. Lastly, recommedation for thermal paste?

Thank you!

Is there a reason you're going with RapidLED? Its a great company, great quality. There are a lot of nice led solutions that don't require you to build it all yourself. Its hard to get a clean look when you're rigging things up yourself - that's my personal experience. I DIY'd everything my first tank. I can't wait to upgrade and buy nice shiz though lol.

^ I wouldnt mind buying a nice fixture for my tank. but I don't see many options that wow me. theres always ONE or TWO things thats wrong.. ie: overly expensive, spotlight effects, couple inches too long, etc.

I would love to get that MaxSpect R420R. I have no idea for what reason. Probably because its just badass looking :)

An appropriately size meanwell hlg power supply is the best option combined with meanwell ldd drivers. Specifics for those can be chosen when you have a specific choice of leds.

Arctic silver is the choice for me but there's plenty of other choices that are good and cheaper.

I was looking at heatsinkUSA, what size heat sink would i need? I don't really understand all the product numbers. Also, how do I go about attaching the heatsink to the fixture?

Any color ratio?

How many LED's should I get on this fixture to be able to eventually do SPS, clams, and anenomes?

2 fans for each side?

Archived