Cultivated Reef

First Biotope, simple Caribbean Lagoon

ssteven1

I have had several of the generic reef mix and match tanks and wanted to try my hand at a biotope. I live on the east coast so I wanted to make something a little closer to my home. I started with a used biocube 14. Live rock, several photosynthetic gorgonias and some macro (Halymenia ) and some Platys I think are from the Caribbean.

A biotope is harder than I thought. Many things like Platys and the algae are hard to find out where they come from. I have read that Halymenia come from the pacific but I have also heard some types come from the Caribbean. How do I tell the difference.

Right now it has

Three different types of Gorgonias

2 blue leg hermit crabs,

Halymenia

A coral banded shrimp.

Some brown/green platys I think are from the caribbean.

I plan to have a neon Goby and I am not sure what else. What do you guys think.

The Gorgonias and Algae, Platys are all doing well. I just added the Coral banded shrimp.

post-70934-0-25416200-1396804483_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I shop at a store in vero beach florida that buys from a collector that goes to the caribian . He gets in some great stuff rock flower nems, ricordia , different types of gobies, squat lobsters, yellow headed jaw fish to name a few.

• 2 weeks later...
thesmallerthebetter

Give kpaquatics aka sealifeinc a ring and hell hook you up big time! Best source for carribean livestock ive found

• 2 months later...

Archived