SaltCritters.com

NanoClown's Fluval Spec V | Retired

NanoClown

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2004jeeplaredo

Tank looks awesome! Hows the hydor nozzle? I have a spin stream but feels like it cuts down flow from the 606 alot. Love the torch as well!

Tank looks awesome! Hows the hydor nozzle? I have a spin stream but feels like it cuts down flow from the 606 alot. Love the torch as well!

Thanks bud!

I recently took it off. I thought it was cutting off the flow a little too much lol. I was actually going to pick up a spin stream sometime soon to see if it is any better. It seems like youre still getting a good amount of flow out of your 606..... At least better than the hydor

The torch is currently my favorite coral. It now has 2 mouths and is in the process of splitting from 1 head into two :D

2004jeeplaredo
Thanks bud!

I recently took it off. I thought it was cutting off the flow a little too much lol. I was actually going to pick up a spin stream sometime soon to see if it is any better. It seems like youre still getting a good amount of flow out of your 606..... At least better than the hydor

The torch is currently my favorite coral. It now has 2 mouths and is in the process of splitting from 1 head into two :D

The spin stream is nice. I would recommend it. Just be patient with it. Its noisy for a bit but a few weeks later and you will barely hear it.

Here's a couple close ups of my new frag as promised! I still dont know 100% if it is an Acan or not, hopefully someone can chime in here and help me out. It easily has 13-15 mouths/heads on it for only $5!!!!! B)

photo2-8.jpg

This pic shows its' feeder tentacles out. I spot fed it some frozen mysis a couple nights ago. I'll probably feed my lps again tomorrow.

Damn I just noticed this.. you scored an even better bargain than I did on such a huge colony.

Looks alot like an Acan to me!!

It was a steal, I couldn't pass it up for the price!
I'll have an update later today. I picked up a few new pieces for my tank :D

I'm jealous.

I'm on a major spending cut right now hahaha :(

Same here, another local reef-keeper hooked me up with a few nice frags :)

Update!

So yesterday was a rather hectic and long day for me. I was on the road all day driving. I went from the south bay area, back home, then up to the east bay over the hills. Probably drove for 3+ hours and I wasn't home all day -__- I drove down south towards SJ to meet up with another local who hooked me up with a couple of frags. He was an awesome dude and had a couple of nice nanos setup at the moment (18g Cadlights w/Kessil, 25g Mr.Aqua Cube) His wife wont let him keep 2 tanks so he might be selling the 25g cube soon.... I might be picking it up from him to make an upgrade to in the future :D

Anyways I picked up a nice fat (4-5 head) frag of Frogspawn and some nice green Zoas as well.

photo1-12.jpg

Just so you guys can get a feel for just how big this frogspawn is here is a new FTS B)

photo2-10.jpg

Man, I really like your rock scape. I wish mine was like that, also that frogspawn is mad beautiful! I love it. Will it be able to reach its sweeper arms out far enough to sting that mushroom or zoa behind it? I have been reading about frogspawn and hammer and it says they can reach out up to 6 inches so I have been worried about placement once I finally get a hammer in my tank. I was afraid I wouldn't have enough room for it away from other corals. Also your tank looks damn good haha

Thank youuuuu :wub: , my rockscape took a ton of time (countless hours :P) to get it to how I liked it lol. There's a good amount of caves and tons of surface area to work with for coral placement.

I'm going to keep my eye on the frogspawn for now. I've never noticed their sweepers extend that far in the past so i'm not too worried about it stinging my other corals in the area. I placed it so that there is plenty of room between it and my other corals. I just try to keep things away from the immediate area that it puffs up to during the day. Dare I say this, but I might actually pick up a frag of hammer coral in the future to complete my set of Euphyllia corals :)

Hammer coral is my personal favorite Euphyllia coral. I think you should get one if you have the room for it in there ;)

:wub:

OooOooooOO that frogspawn is bbbbbbbbbbeauuuuuuuuutiful.

I love it too! Its super florescent under the blue leds, I wish I had a decent pic to snap a picture of it!

im loving the color on that frogspawn looks great

I've always had hammer corals in the past, frogspawns are my personal favorite of the family. Maybe if I find some room/move some things around I could have a little Euphyllia garden on the right side of my Spec V

Hammer coral is my personal favorite Euphyllia coral. I think you should get one if you have the room for it in there ;)

Update: I moved my frogspawn from front and center over to the far right side of the tank. It's opening up HUGE now. It definitely has 5 full heads and to my surprise I caught Oreo (smaller b/w ocellaris) starting to host in it today! The other clown Citrus is very clueless at the moment, but since this has happened it seems like she has started to be less aggressive towards Oreo.

Here's a set that i'd like to call "clowinging around"

photo1-13.jpg

photo1-14.jpg

photo3-10.jpg

photo2-11.jpg

photo3-11.jpg

And clueless Citrus photo-bombing me

photo2-12.jpg

Cameron6796

A lot of people are getting them and just packing them with stuff, I think it quite awesome, like a clown pair and a goby is something I see often

THAT"S AWESOME! I totally forgot you have 2 clowns in this tank....you guys are really pushing it in these Specs =P

Thanks, I don't plan on them being in here permanently. I'm looking into setting up something in the 20-30 gallon range by the end of the summer time :)

A lot of people are getting them and just packing them with stuff, I think it quite awesome, like a clown pair and a goby is something I see often

My first clown was a rescue by me, the second clown I kinda got on an impulse buy lol. Like I said, later they will be moved into a larger aquarium. I think I might keep the Tailspot Blenny in here if I decide to keep the Spec V running. If I do keep this up and running i'll probably replace the clowns with a pistol shrimp/goby combo B)

2004jeeplaredo

Update: I moved my frogspawn from front and center over to the far right side of the tank. It's opening up HUGE now. It definitely has 5 full heads and to my surprise I caught Oreo (smaller b/w ocellaris) starting to host in it today! The other clown Citrus is very clueless at the moment, but since this has happened it seems like she has started to be less aggressive towards Oreo.

Here's a set that i'd like to call "clowinging around"

photo1-13.jpgphoto1-14.jpg

photo3-10.jpgphoto2-11.jpgphoto3-11.jpg

And clueless Citrus photo-bombing me

photo2-12.jpg

How much flow does your frogspawn have? Mine doesnt have the branching arms like yours more puffy and fat so i moved mine to lower flow hoping it would look more like yours. Do you have a video on the flow maybe? Thanks.

post-82813-0-30480100-1403276073_thumb.jpg

How much flow does your frogspawn have? Mine doesnt have the branching arms like yours more puffy and fat so i moved mine to lower flow hoping it would look more like yours. Do you have a video on the flow maybe? Thanks.

In that corner of my Spec V the flow is pretty low. There isn't any direct flow on it, it has been opening up a lot better now that I have moved it over. I'm guessing it has to do with the amount of space that it has to open up now. I'm not too sure if flow has anything to do with it because the guy I got it from had a good amount flow in his tank and his whole colony was opening up massive in the current.

Like you said though, I think it will open up much better in lower flow. I'd give it some time to adjust, you can probably make it happier if you try to spot feed it some mysis shrimp a couple times a week like I do for mine :)

2004jeeplaredo

In that corner of my Spec V the flow is pretty low. There isn't any direct flow on it, it has been opening up a lot better now that I have moved it over. I'm guessing it has to do with the amount of space that it has to open up now. I'm not too sure if flow has anything to do with it because the guy I got it from had a good amount flow in his tank and his whole colony was opening up massive in the current.

Like you said though, I think it will open up much better in lower flow. I'd give it some time to adjust, you can probably make it happier if you try to spot feed it some mysis shrimp a couple times a week like I do for mine :)

Thanks for the info. Im jealous your clowns hosting it. I want mine to do that soon. Ill let him go where he is and see how he does.

Archived