Coral Vue Hydros

my super low tech reef jarquarium (with diy pj reef)

new-b-reefer

Comparison picture from start date 5/21 (top 2 pics)

To today

10/12 (bottom 2 pics)

Shows the evolution of the jar. Noticed some of the tiny zoas faded away but the others grew alot and colored up alot. Alot of the green macro growth slowed way down and the red flame macro has fluorished. And still the same hermit and small muscle from the beginning :)

20171012_074412.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, Spankymr2 said:

Amazing!  I am starting one tomorrow.

Thank you for the inspiration!!!!

Wish I would've seen this a few days ago. Lost some tiny mushrooms in mym3 biocube. 

Thanks for the kind words. Honored to be an inspiration to anyone :)

So can i/We all look forward to another reef jar thread? :)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 11/27/2017 at 2:59 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Looks good! What all do you have in there now?

Pretty much the same, some zoas, coloring up real well. Some green mushrooms that seem to be moving around, some flame macro, and green macro and the same hermit from the start :)

And pods and mini star fish ;)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

20171229_110817.jpg

A little over 7 months and going strong. Went into work early today and did a deeper clean and "re scape" by that I mean, moved the 3 rocks around haha

The zoas are still upset. Did notice another small muscle growing in there :)

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...
new-b-reefer

Quick update, we are a little more than a month away from the year mark and still going. Had a scare. The hermit died about 2 weeks back, I replaced him with a tiny blue leg. Then the led died, was with out light for a few days. then a mushroom died which triggered a partial cycle! I changed all the water a couple times, then it went cloudy for about 2 days and then clear. There was some die off but it was pretty minimal and kinda odd, with no water movement, the foweled water stayed in the lower section which allowed me to siphone out the toxic water directly. I lost my mushrooms but I still have my zoas, pods, mini stars, worms, blue leg hermit, etc so.... saved it and it stabilized so.... still going strong. The clock continues to run. Looking to hit that year mark. :)

• Like 1

This is one of the threads that finally convinced me to set up a tank, so I wanted to thank you for setting this thread up!

I'm running a 5.5 gallon as my main tank now, but I just set up an 800 ML mason jar with some old saltwater and some Live Rock. Has some GSP encrusted on it (I fragged off a huge portion, and this is what's left), a sponge, and then I added some chaeto and caulerpa. Sadly, I'm pretty sure this jar is too small for a hermit, but I'm thinking about adding a xenia frag (if I can find one!) and possibly a couple zoa frags at some point.

Pics!

FJS:

5ac857c5a8076_FJS4-6-2018.thumb.jpg.64882ada217675f983021940a3e244ad.jpg

Top-Down:

5ac857c1969d2_Top-downshot4-6-2018.thumb.jpg.310ca6d16bfca37e7e5b106f643eb184.jpg

I'll be adding more rock soon!

• Like 3
new-b-reefer

Nice, thanks for the kind words. Glad to be an inspiration. I did a mason jar a few years back. Looks like your off to a good start. You may be able to add a hermit. Your jar may be similar to the same volume as mine. Having the movement and someone to keep things clean is nice :) keep the pics coming :)

• Like 1

Added in a couple zoa polyps and a piece of dragon's breath that wasn't doing too well in my main tank, so we'll see how everyone is doing here. So far, there's some noticeable growth out of the chaeto and caulerpa, and there are some new polyps on the GSP too. That said, not all of the GSP is open. Kinda weird!

The light I'm using is just rated for 5000K, so colors kinda suck. But everyone seems to like it alright! Room temp seems to be treating everyone well so far, so I won't be adding any heat. I've been noticing that the algae is pearling, probably due to the strong white light and low O2 in the water, so it looks like I might be adding a tiny hermit into the jar to combat algae at some point! 

Pic:

5aca8adfa76b5_FJS4-8-2018.thumb.jpg.4e9668873d9224dedf6f2f734eff043c.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
new-b-reefer
On 4/20/2018 at 1:09 PM, JBM said:

this is pretty cool. No heater, no water circulation, just light....im diggin it

Yup, as simple as can be :)

• Like 1

O wow, I did not realize that you did not have any circulation in your jar.  That is amazing and way to go that it is almost a year old!

• Like 2
new-b-reefer

Ah! Only 20 days away from the 1 year mark on this reef jar, got a new light bulb over it. Came in yesterday, finally came across a match to the orignal one. Has 5 x 1 watt leds. 2 blue, 3 white :) same as my original. Thanks wish!

Things are still waking up this morning but I had forgotten how bright this sucker was lol

20180501_070332.jpg

20180501_070346.jpg

• Like 3
Lorekeeper

Loving this! I wish this jar got a bit more attention outside this forum. Really sticks a wrench in the idea that reef tanks are exclusively high-tech.

My jar got taken down last week due to me moving tanks around (got a baby skunk clown, and need to upgrade tanks to accommodate) and everything got moved into my macro-algae Lagoon, AKA a rubbermaid tub. Everything in it was thriving though, and any hair algae/green algae that came in with the rock and coral plugs died off within a week or two, letting the caulerpa explode. Pretty cool experiment!

• 3 weeks later...
new-b-reefer

And the reef jar has hit the 1 year mark today and going strong. Woot woot!!!  Can not believe a year has already gone by. Heres to the next one. Need to get a new frag or 2, original zoas still not opening but some other ones are recovering that weren'  so happy in my 50 gallon. The muscles are still good, mini stars hood, hermit #2 is good. So excited ;)

Happy birthday reef jarquarium :)

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2019 at 8:34 AM, Jozefs a lizard said:

this jar old,

Yup, it's about 2 years and 4 months old now. Still kicking 🙂

And I have another one that is thriving as well.

I also started an informational website/blog about them.

Jarquarium.com 

and feel free to find me on Instagram: homeaquatics_etc 

😉

• Like 3
  • 9 months later...