Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

my super low tech reef jarquarium (with diy pj reef)

new-b-reefer

new-b-reefer

Thanks so much for the detail. My bulb for here today and I picked up the jar(exact same one I think) and ceramic magnets as well. I have a few more questions...

Did you cycle it?

Live rock or dry to start it?

Do you think a small hermit would be okay in it? I was thinking 1 blue leg hermit would be okay and if not them a dwarf depth would work.

Do you know if Xenia will work in it without flow? I figured it would be nice to have a bit of movement.

Really appreciate the help, thanks.

My pleasure. I started mine with cycled/cured rock, its such a small amount its cheap. Fun to go rock shopping for these. The hermit I cant say since I havent tried one in mine. Only done it in a larger jar with an air stone. Im pretty sure pulsing xenia will fit the bill just fine as those create their own flow. I have tried waving hand/anthelea and that, not so much. That stuff needs flow. Let me know if you try a hermit, I would go for the smallest you can find

Can't hurt then think I will try it, worst case scenario - I'm out $.99 for the hermit and I'll put a dwarf cerith in instead.. I'm concerned about a cycle though so I'll have to talk with my LFS guy and see what he thinks. I'm going to go shopping tommorow and see what I can find.

• Like 1

Can't hurt then think I will try it, worst case scenario - I'm out $.99 for the hermit and I'll put a dwarf cerith in instead.. I'm concerned about a cycle though so I'll have to talk with my LFS guy and see what he thinks. I'm going to go shopping tommorow and see what I can find.

Let us know how that goes, Im interested in adding one of those little guys :) Just added in some mushrooms about 2 hours ago. I think it came with a few hitchhiker feather dusters, and saw some open, score! Decided not to remove the air stone until i get some pulsing Xenia. I'll post more pics and the jars progress...looks like the file size for my picture is too large...

• Like 1
Carebearcatz

Ok this is like the coolest thread I've ever seen. I've thrown away too many hitchhikers that I wanted to keep but worried about taking over my tank. I'm going to start looking for a container this week. Do you think if I introduced Copepods I could keep a bumble bee snail?

Also do you think you could use any container and use plastic wrap to limit evaporation?

• Like 1

Ok this is like the coolest thread I've ever seen. I've thrown away too many hitchhikers that I wanted to keep but worried about taking over my tank. I'm going to start looking for a container this week. Do you think if I introduced Copepods I could keep a bumble bee snail? Also do you think you could use any container and use plastic wrap to limit evaporation?

Hmmm i read somewhere that the bumble bee snails might eat up the mircrofauna and to my understanding the corals like the mircofauna. But if im wrong someone please correct me....if that is case it might not be a good idea for something this small. So far my cerith snails are still alive but only in the jar with an airstone. Plastic wrap might work. I dont see why it wouldnt

• Like 1
new-b-reefer

I actually did my very first mini jarquarium and used plastic wrap to seal it off. Its floating around here somewhere. It was nominated in the jarquarium challenge thread. I do find that with even just the slightest pin hole makes things do better.

As far as the bumblebee snail it could be worth a try however I think it being a predatory snail, eating microfauna, it would produce more waste and may defeat the purpose of this little tank being very low maintenance. With that said, I am all about encouraging the trial and error method. Go ahead and try it out and report back my friend ;)

new-b-reefer

With the cured live rock the cycle will be instant. The ratio of established bacteria and the small amount of water and the low low bioload, there wont be a cycle. Instant tank. Have to used cured live rock. Here is a hint, sounds odd but smell the rock, if it smells a bit funky, not cured. If there is hardly a scent, good to go. I have done all mine and others I have made for friends and family this way with no ill effects :) but I also 100% understand if you want a second opinion ;)

Carebearcatz

Oh, thanks :). Yea, I knew they ate the microfauna so that's why I don't have one in my nano-tank. But always really wanted one and they're like 2 bucks so totally willing to try it and see how it works. Was more worried about killing the snail, I just really want to make sure there's not an 80%+ chance I'll kill him. My boyfriend is convinced that everything will die so....I'm gonna try to prove him wrong on that before I add a bumblebee snail. Also I got told I'm allowed to use any more electricity for this project so....I'm going the complete simplicity route. Thank you so much for inspiring me.

• Like 1
new-b-reefer

Oh, thanks :). Yea, I knew they ate the microfauna so that's why I don't have one in my nano-tank. But always really wanted one and they're like 2 bucks so totally willing to try it and see how it works. Was more worried about killing the snail, I just really want to make sure there's not an 80%+ chance I'll kill him. My boyfriend is convinced that everything will die so....I'm gonna try to prove him wrong on that before I add a bumblebee snail. Also I got told I'm allowed to use any more electricity for this project so....I'm going the complete simplicity route. Thank you so much for inspiring me.

Ah thanks for those very kind words :) glad to be of assistance and an inspiration. You go prove him wrong. Have him read this thread. Go the simple route, prove your point and then add the snail later and let us know how it goes. I think I speak for most on this thread when I say, you have our support.

Ps, all you guys are inspiring me to revisit the idea of adding a small hermit or snail. If it happens, you will all see the post :D

• Like 1

imagejpg1_zps9c35d6e2.jpg

Things are going okay with my green mushrooms so far. So far both jars are getting about 4-5 hours of light when i get home.

2c1eb0dd-c952-4ae0-9c55-040d035f7c41_zps

Here one of my darker mushrooms looks like they arent doing so well as of today...they have been shrinking and opening more than before...Not quite sure why these are struggling while the others (green mushrooms) seem fine. Any suggestions? I have a feeling it might be lack of light so i picked up a timer to give it light while im at work. Also i have a feeling the heat might have been the main culprit. I live in cali and the one i circled was closest to the window and im pretty sure its done for...even though i have black curtains i guess it wasnt enought to keep out the heat. Aside from that the jars are doing ok, and the two snails are still alive and well, found a shrimp that only comes out at night, and more feather dusters have appeared.

• Like 1
new-b-reefer

imagejpg1_zps9c35d6e2.jpg

Things are going okay with my green mushrooms so far. So far both jars are getting about 4-5 hours of light when i get home.

2c1eb0dd-c952-4ae0-9c55-040d035f7c41_zps

Here one of my darker mushrooms looks like they arent doing so well as of today...they have been shrinking and opening more than before...Not quite sure why these are struggling while the others (green mushrooms) seem fine. Any suggestions? I have a feeling it might be lack of light so i picked up a timer to give it light while im at work. Also i have a feeling the heat might have been the main culprit. I live in cali and the one i circled was closest to the window and im pretty sure its done for...even though i have black curtains i guess it wasnt enought to keep out the heat. Aside from that the jars are doing ok, and the two snails are still alive and well, found a shrimp that only comes out at night, and more feather dusters have appeared.

Nice. Lookin good. As far as the shrooms, I have found the darker purple and blues can be very finicky compared to the greens. I live in cali as well and the hot days and cool nights are tough on these jars without temperature regulation. I have seen some bounce back though. Keep an eye on it I would say. Could be adjusting to having no flow also.

What snails you got in there?

Nice. Lookin good. As far as the shrooms, I have found the darker purple and blues can be very finicky compared to the greens. I live in cali as well and the hot days and cool nights are tough on these jars without temperature regulation. I have seen some bounce back though. Keep an eye on it I would say. Could be adjusting to having no flow also.

What snails you got in there?

Well the one jar i circled from my last post just lost more mushrooms...they completely detached themselves from their rock and started to dissolve. Couple more are still alive and i just changed the water since it was looking a bit dirty from the dead mushrooms. I hope they make it. The other jar is still going strong and is the one that has 2 Cerith Snails roaming around. Im thinking of adding some macro algae to both jars real soon and hopefully i'll be able to pull the airstones out. Oh and i moved them both away from the window to help fight temp swings.

new-b-reefer

Well the one jar i circled from my last post just lost more mushrooms...they completely detached themselves from their rock and started to dissolve. Couple more are still alive and i just changed the water since it was looking a bit dirty from the dead mushrooms. I hope they make it. The other jar is still going strong and is the one that has 2 Cerith Snails roaming around. Im thinking of adding some macro algae to both jars real soon and hopefully i'll be able to pull the airstones out. Oh and i moved them both away from the window to help fight temp swings.

Oh ok. Ceriths, that was one of my original thoughts if I was gonna add something. Also yes yes yes on the macro algae, that is a key ingredient in these jars as it provides a mean of nutrient export and a source of natural oxygen.

Atleast according to my trials, errors, experimenting and theorys :) I have used it in all my jars with great success ;)

This is so cool! I am so making one of these for my office!

A couple questions:

Did you use the 31 oz jar from michaels? That was the biggest I saw that they had.

I had considered adding a small pump for flow. What do you think? I found this on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DOOCWIW?pc_redir=1409144845&robot_redir=1

I would probably cut it down to like 10-15 gph though.

Also, I found this light on ebay. What do you think? Too much power?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141389986272?redirect=mobile

Thanks, and keep up that awesome posts. Very inspirational!

The jar I got os from Michaels. Its 4" in diameter and about 6-7" tall. Cant remember the exact volume.

The pump may work, I didnt add one for simplicity reasons and because it is a small kar even the small pumps take alot of space inside.

That light sounds similar to mine, mine is the 15 watt with 5 leds and it is more than enough. A par 30 may be a bit much. Might promote algae but cant say for sure. My light os also an e27 screw in base.

Keeps us updated and thanks for the kind words and following :)

So excited, just set up my jartopia after a day well spent visiting 6 lfs.(well actually it's a vase but whatever... my boyfriend calls it the jar of death so I'll call it a jar of life) I found a rock with at least 4 different types of macroalgaes and a ton of hitchhikers-including a ton of featherdusters and a brittle star (already looks awesome, hope it stays that way). Plan on setting up my own thread and adding pictures tomorrow.

• Like 1

So excited, just set up my jartopia after a day well spent visiting 6 lfs.(well actually it's a vase but whatever... my boyfriend calls it the jar of death so I'll call it a jar of life) I found a rock with at least 4 different types of macroalgaes and a ton of hitchhikers-including a ton of featherdusters and a brittle star (already looks awesome, hope it stays that way). Plan on setting up my own thread and adding pictures tomorrow.

Awesome, congrats. Looking forward to another thread. Pics pics pics :) what size vase, light, etc :D

hello all! when i did my PJ Reef jar, i got

serious hair algae and a diatom bloom

a few weeks after putting my coral in. and

i freaked out and a mushroom melted and

that's why i started my picoreef. having said

that, i think the coral i was putting in my jar

were way too big. my focus will be on my

new 8g but i'm still very interested in what's going

on in new-b's jars. :happy:

• Like 1

hello all! when i did my PJ Reef jar, i got

serious hair algae and a diatom bloom

a few weeks after putting my coral in. and

i freaked out and a mushroom melted and

that's why i started my picoreef. having said

that, i think the coral i was putting in my jar

were way too big. my focus will be on my

new 8g but i'm still very interested in what's going

on in new-b's jars. :happy:

Thanks for following along :)

Not sure what size the vase is, but it's pretty small. Right now I'm going to try and see how it does without a light but may invest in one the future. Here's my new thread with pictures :)http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/350792-jills-jartopia/

Great start to your reef jar thread. Thanks for the shout out :)

• Like 1

Hey new b, I decided against the pump from amazon. I am still considering making a small flow pump with a 6mm micro motor and a 3d printed housing/impeller.

What are your thoughts on sand? Like 1/4 -1/2 inch?

• Like 1

My jar has been up for a few days, need to get a mushroom secured down and remove the test subject- a free majano. Hermit has been in it for 4 days now with no problems, it's a tiny zebra hermit. I picked up some zoa frags and a tiny frag of GSP for it. Have a mushroom in my DT I think I'll add as well so it should have about $30 worth of corals in it.

It has 0.2lbs of Tonga Branch rock.

• Like 1