Pod Your Reef

Possible tank leak, now what!?

frankdontsurf

frankdontsurf

So for the last week when I wipe my glass on the lower right of my 10 gallon it seems to leave wet streaks, I figure it was random water from the counter or from the rag. Today I woke up early, and did what I love to do...raid the tank with a spot lamp to see who is lurking on the rocks. The bottom seam on the right seems to have water, I wiped it and it hasn't refilled. I'm pretty sure it's a slow leak.. I mean it's not even enough to overflow the bottom plastic brim. It feels like I'm imagining this.

How worried should I be?

What can I do to verify the leak?

Should I just go buy a tank, do a leak test and transfer it all over?

frankdontsurf

I have tanks that I'm pretty sure have load bearing salt creep in some places.

You might be right, I just slid a credit card under the tank, only the right side lets me get it in there. It didn't come out wet but if I am able to slide a card in by that side then something is off-set. I would imagine for complete even support i'd need the entire frame around the tank touching. At least it's only a 10 gallon.

I think Petco is having their $1 per gallon sale starting Sunday, at select locations. Maybe it's time to go bigger?

I was joking about that last week. I'm pretty sure my missus will think it's a set up. It very well may be time to move on up.

The plastic frame only adds support and hides their rough cuts, poorly aligned panels, and terrible silicon job. A tank leak is always a cause for concern, however being able to slide something in the frame isn't necessarily an issue. A 10g is so small, there isn't very many stresses on those edges. It's certainly something to monitor, but don't blow a sprocket over it. If your tank leaked out, you would probably have ~7 gallons on the floor. While never a good thing, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Now if I lost 60 gallons onto the floor... :(

I also second that it's probably salt creep that is containing moisture and transferring it back to your rag / paper towel. Just something to consider. However if you have been dying for an upgrade, it's never a bad time.

Archived