Top Shelf Aquatics

New Bio Cube tank

darkdancer333

darkdancer333

Just purchased Bio-Cube 14 gal.

I am new to coral reef tanks, 20 years ago I had salt water 60 gal tank. Fish strictly:) So much has changed since then.

My question is since I am going to eliminate bio-balls what should go in the second slot. The guy who is advising me on the tank said to leave it blank.. He has a beautiful shop and recommended these forums as a bible....

Slot 1 has the filter. Slot 2, I was thinking of using the fiber placed within a sack. Or perhaps just just use the fiber alone. I was just wondering about getting fiber in the tank itself??

I saw in pictures that a sponde or fiber was also used in slot 1. If second slot is left open i was thinking of another pump for flow

I have read an been told that the skimmer is a waste.

I am taking it slow and want to do this correctly.

If you're handy, just try making your own media rack and get bulk filter media to filter out particulates. Otherwise you probably just want to stay on top of water changes and keep the back chambers as clean as possible - they are detritus traps if you have too much going on back there. And no skimming needed, just do water changes and make sure you're getting good top-off water.

darkdancer333

The guy who owns red sea aquaruim said maybe once a month water changes. I didnt want to do the media. Someone else also said a sponge would work. I am trying to keep it simple because from past experiences, to much food was the biggest agitator

Really just depends what kind of substrate you put in, the bioload, the flow, etc. That's going to determine what kind of junk and what size needs to be filtered out. And you're right, it seems like overfeeding is the most common mistake, especially on a small tank. Thankfully it's the easiest fix too.

With a 14 gallon, I think you want more frequent water changes than once-a-month. I do 1 or 2 gallon weekly with my 14 gallon biocube.

I didn't buy the inTank media rack yet. But I have my filter floss, chemi-pure and Rowaphos. It's been working fine since.

Archived