Innovative Marine Aquariums

Will a clam close up with too little light?

malawian

So my clammy is surviving, sometimes happy and sometimes not. I dont think he's in any danger of croaking (not yet anyway) but hes often not super happy about the state of the world either.

He's been in my tank for about a month now, which I would think would be plenty of time for him to acclimate to my light. Im running some pretty beastly LEDs so I could fry him from orbit if I wanted to. Since I would think he would be acclimated to my light by now, maybe my lights are set too low? LPS and SPS are all growing nicely but I know clams require more light. I turned them down a bit because he was a bit closed up and I figured he could use a break. My white and blue channels are both at less than 50% and the RGB+UV are turned nearly all the way down.

So, could low light actually make it close up? Maybe ive turned things down too low? Am I right in thinking it should have acclimated to the lights by now?

Im also not sure what kind it is. Was sure it was a squamosa according to: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/jf/feature/ but now Im not so sure. I can try and get a good pic tomorrow when lights are back up.

What exactly do you mean by closed? Closed tight, or is the mantle still out? What kind of clam? I BELIEVE I've read that clams use only 400-700 wavelength and whites are pretty useless in terms of photosynthesis. I would wait for zeph to confirm that.

Doh, I should read all te way through, I didn't see that you weren't sure on the type.

squamosa clams i know can deal with less light than most, perhaps somethings picking at it? i know my clam will stay open a tiny bit when my moon lights are one, but highly doubt your lights are on that low, you mentioned you had sps coral, so id assume you have very low nutrients, it could a nutrient problem

What exactly do you mean by closed? Closed tight, or is the mantle still out? What kind of clam? I BELIEVE I've read that clams use only 400-700 wavelength and whites are pretty useless in terms of photosynthesis. I would wait for zeph to confirm that.

Doh, I should read all te way through, I didn't see that you weren't sure on the type.

Still out some, sometimes its nice and open but alot of the time its a bit closed up (never shut tight though). never gaping and always responds well to shadows.

squamosa clams i know can deal with less light than most, perhaps somethings picking at it? i know my clam will stay open a tiny bit when my moon lights are one, but highly doubt your lights are on that low, you mentioned you had sps coral, so id assume you have very low nutrients, it could a nutrient problem

doubt that anything is picking at it, doesnt look hurt at all and Ive kept a close eye on it and ive never seen anything get near it. I do have pretty low nutrients but I dose amino acids and also feed phytofeast very nearly every day (like 4 out of 5).

Archived