Cultivated Reef

Dedicated Power Head?

xLimitlessJR

xLimitlessJR

I have an "SPS Garden" (or a fancy way of saying a dedicated section in my tank to put SPS). So far i have a Green Slimer Acro and a Pink Birds nest (neither of which are going all that greatly) I suspect the culprit to be lack of flow. I have 2 WP25s that i have mounted on opposite ends of the tank on W1 mode which makes a very beautiful wave motion in the tank.

An idea struck me maybe i should mount a hydor nano (425 or 240) on the back side walls and point it directly at the SPS areas to add more direct flow.

Does anyone have experience with this? Can anyone enlighten me as to whether this is a good or bad idea and why?

I have attached an old image with writing to give the best idea about how my tank is currently setup

Thanks,

JR

post-81882-0-48558800-1395866048_thumb.jpg

They both look fine for SPS but I don't think I'd aim a powerhead directly at them. They like high flow but not necessarily direct flow.

How stable is and what is your ALK currently? That and PO4 are the most important factors for SPS health in my experience, disregarding the more obvious stable temp, salinity, and sufficient lighting.

xLimitlessJR

My alk is 10.5. It never goes lower than 9 or higher than 11. I dose and test twice a week so it's pretty stable. My fuge is heathy and I have 0 nitrates and phosphates. My lighting was actually dialed back because I was burning the tips of my birds nest. My acro looks good but hasn't shown any real growth in the 2 months I've had it.

Everything sounds good to me. Birdsnests have never done well in any of my tanks so no advice on that but I'm a bit stumped on the acro. Do you see any encrusting from the base of the acro? Mine definitely like to encrust before any decent growth on their branches.

Archived