Cultivated Reef

new live rock

haleigho

Hello all -

3 weeks ago I started my first saltwater tank and about 2 weeks ago I ordered live rocks from a trusted website.

I cleaned the rocks a bit (got all the ick off ) then put them in the tank, because I have no fish or anything.

Long story short - All the rock smells absolutely disgusting so I assume it started to die during shipment, and it caused everything to spike out of control. So I've removed the rock and it's in a separate bucket.

Any ideas on how I can clean it so it doesn't do that again? I read a lot about bleaching....any thoughts on that ? PS. I have other live rock in the tank currently from another source and it's fine.

gulfsurfer101

Just how much research did you do before starting this venture. Your rocks are supposed to smell that way, your tank is going through what is called a cycle. They will cycle much longer if you decide to add bleach, trust me. Put your rocks back in the tank and change out about 50% of your water. Do another reading the next day for a week.

blacksand_reefer

No worries. I broke apart some live rock to scape with and it had that same smell even though it had only been out of a tank for 10 mins. You should be fine just put the rock back in and keep an eye on your levels. Let the cycle happen. The longer you let the rock hang out you will have a better idea as to what else came on the rock if anything.

I grew up on the beach and imho all salt rock stinks when taken out of water. I would give it more time before you decide to bleach and shipped rock is going to smell a lot more then something you picked up locally.

gulfsurfer101

What is your ammonia reading at. Like I said, just do a major water change and let it balance itself out. Wait one week and do another water change. All should be good to introduce your cuc by this time.

Archived