Pod Your Reef

What can host in a Bubble tip anemone?

Icywater

gulfsurfer101

Pretty nice. I seen theses recently and thought about adding them but never seen them take to bubbles. I've seen them in carpets before. I'll have to grab some for sure next time I'm out.

jedimasterben

They eat the mucous the anemone excretes along with waste.

Sexy shrimp will eat corals, and specifically zoanthid skirts, so keep that in mind.

• Like 2

I have sexy shrimps and an anemone crab in my BTA. As far as sexy shrimps eating zoanthids - mine are in no way interested in any of my zoas, they hang out on the BTA or my hammer all day.

When these creatures Ex: Clownish, shrimp and crabs host in the anemone is it helpful to the anemone or are they just using the anemone for cover?

In the case of clownfish, they keep fish away that like to eat anemones,as well as feed the anemone scraps of food. It's also believed the clowns act as a lure of sorts to attract fish over to the anemone by flashing their colorful bodies in and out of the tentacles when the curious animal comes to inspect the clowns the nem can grab the lured prey. The clowns also keep water flowing through the anemone,waving and rolling through it and cleaning sand,detritus etc off. Can't speak much for the crabs and shrimp but would imagine they do similar cleaning and feeding of the anemone.

• Like 1
gulfsurfer101

I went back to the lfs I saw the anemone crabs in and picked one up after seeing the pic Lawnman posted. It was the only one left and they were moving this weekend so everything in the shop was over 50% off. Of course all the good stuff was gone but I got the crab and an engineer goby for under ten bucks for the pair. Not a bad score. The crab has already claimed this big bta as his.

http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/gulfsurfer101/media/20140328_182656_zpsr5p6wqx_edit_1396157685953_zpsie7q7skd.jpg.html'>20140328_182656_zpsr5p6wqx_edit_13961576

http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/gulfsurfer101/media/20140328_182348_zps3roooei_edit_1396158002363_zpsaoz5zyeo.jpg.html'>20140328_182348_zps3roooei_edit_13961580

• Like 3
I went back to the lfs I saw the anemone crabs in and picked one up after seeing the pic Lawnman posted. It was the only one left and they were moving this weekend so everything in the shop was over 50% off. Of course all the good stuff was gone but I got the crab and an engineer goby for under ten bucks for the pair. Not a bad score. The crab has already claimed this big bta as his.

20140328_182656_zpsr5p6wqx_edit_1396157620140328_182348_zps3roooei_edit_13961580

Is that in your tank Gulf? They are really neat to watch.
  • Like 1

20140328_182656_zpsr5p6wqx_edit_13961576

20140328_182348_zps3roooei_edit_13961580

Good score, looks like he is right at home :)

• Like 1

20140328_182656_zpsr5p6wqx_edit_13961576

20140328_182348_zps3roooei_edit_13961580

This is cool,good find my friend. Im currently waiting for my clowns to go to my new gbta,they were in a large lta previously. All they've done was belly rub it an hour after I put it in the tank a week ago. So time to play the waiting game

... Haha.

• Like 1

This is cool,good find my friend. Im currently waiting for my clowns to go to my new gbta,they were in a large lta previously. All they've done was belly rub it an hour after I put it in the tank a week ago. So time to play the waiting game

... Haha.

My platinum took 6 weeks to start hosting. Then 1 day I couldn't find my fish and there he was sucking on the tentacles. No kidding he sucks the tentacles like a pacifier lol.
  • Like 1

Yea mine did that to their lta,they took 3 months to move in to it,today though they were hovering around it giving it a once over,either way its a nice looking nem,usually bubbly and moves nice under my jebao wp10

gulfsurfer101
Is that in your tank Gulf? They are really neat to watch.

Yeah, I have four bta's on one rock in my 75g, and he chose this one. Actually he likes to hang out in between this one and the one directly behind it.

• Like 1
gulfsurfer101

Out of the four nems I have, I have gbta that has been chopped by a powerhead twice and has healed both times and doesn't like direct lighting so hides underneath the nems rock, hidden in a cave. This is the one my Darwin and snow onyx clowns choose to host. The other two are showing pairing traits and have not selected a host yet.

• Like 1
  • 6 years later...

My three sexies have hosted my bta probably because I don’t have a maxi or rock nem yet. I caught one eating my purple stylo like big time! Took it right down to skeleton! I now target feed them that seemed to work.