inTank Media Baskets

Best coral dip for new reefer

wynism

Hi, I recently just finished my cycle and am starting to look into purchasing coral. I am trying to practice good husbandry. I just would like some personal opinions on some dips. As im new to all this, possibly something straightforward and can eliminate majority of unwanted pests. Thank you

skimlessinseattle

I prefer coral rx. They also make a single shot that is used to mix one gallon so there is no measuring out the dip solution - very easy for a beginner.

I like using a solution of Bayer insecticide occasionally on the high risk pieces. Not recommended for beginners.

Not so big on dipping though.

BattleAthletics

The Bayer dip is cheaper to make and a bottle will literally last you forever.

It also works on soft skin acros too.

The Bayer dip is cheaper to make and a bottle will literally last you forever.

I dunno about forever, well yeah for the average reefer probably... but yeah it is definitely the cheapest and IMO the most effective with least risk.

It also works on soft skin acros too.

Exactly why I dont touch the other stuff anymore I lost faaaaaaaaar to many pieces, and spent to much time waiting for colors to return from the others that weren't that effective anyway and if you use above recommended dose its guaranteed death.... bayer you can "eyeball it" and be perfectly fine. Its the only dip I've seen polyps out while rinsing it off immediately after the dip.... even on deepwaters ;)

I haven't used RPS all out yet but with Bayer I haven't really felt the need to.... although I plan to experiment with it in the future ;)

I like using a solution of Bayer insecticide occasionally on the high risk pieces. Not recommended for beginners.

Why would you not recommend it to beginners thats kinda silly it is amazingly simple and the only one that if you use more then most suggest using it still won't kill your stuff.

Not so big on dipping though.

That is just crazy... and risky.

• 2 months later...

I am using revive right now but when I run out I am planning to get this http://www.amazon.com/RPS-All-Out-Coral-Dip/dp/B00HZ6FYSA/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1395758970&sr=8-11&keywords=coral+dip several people I have talked to really like it a not so local fish store uses it to dip most their corals.

I used that in the past and although it does an amazing job of killing pests, it literally killed my inverts as well. This is after TWO salt water baths/rinses. If you use this stuff, you absolutely need to run a QT with carbon. It's excessively strong.

Archived