inTank Media Baskets

The 75g NSW dirty soup kitchen!

gulfsurfer101

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
gulfsurfer101

Picked up a few sps boogers for next to nothing yesterday at a local swap. Some of my old school sps favorites!

Rainbow monti!

20150418_224419_zps4ur76nek.jpg

Pokerstar!

20150418_224334_zpso2kvszto.jpg

Tubb's mystic blue!

20150418_224403_zpspdjxhtrs.jpg

Random shroom colony!

20150419_115131_zpsndn60hpv.jpg

gulfsurfer101

I also moved recently and added a few pounds of dry rock to make up for all the stuff I got rid of. I redid the scape keeping most of my rock off the sanbed to give me better flow throughout the entire tank and I get less dead spots behind the rockwork.

gulfsurfer101

Here's the current fts after only running for the last two days. Good thing this tank had been established a very long time before I moved it that the biological bioload was quickly handled allowing me to instantly set this tank up without any hiccups.

20150419_185956_zpsxmmu5scl.jpg

gulfsurfer101

Today I fed my first batch of live rotifers along with some home brewed phytoplankton. Things seem to have taken well to live food being presented to them. I plan on getting my culture population up in a 5g bucket of rot's and a couple large bottles of phyto to keep them going and harvest 20-30% daily for feeding. I'll offer any remaining batches for trade.

20150424_153447_zpssptmmi4u.jpg

jedimasterben

Jesus rollerblading christ, that scrubber is WAY too big lol. You only need a 4"x4" area for every 'cube' of food that you feed each day. Making it larger than that actually makes it grow less than what you need. :)

gulfsurfer101

I can always cut off from the bottom. What would your suggest. I still may plumb another 40br into this system also though. But that won't be till maybe another year down the line.

gulfsurfer101

So I think my rotifers are multiplying nicely. I started with a 250ml vial of live rotifers and now I'm culturing in a 5g 1/4 of the way full that ive been adding freshly mixed sw with a lower salinity along with phytoplankton everyday. I've been doing this instead of harvesting to build up the population and to get at least a 4g culture going from where I can start a regimen to follow everyday such as how much to harvest, how much water do I need weekly and how much phyto do I have to keep in hand to keep my culture going strong. So far all I've been able to identify is about 20-30 in about 1" of water in a 16oz bottle. I'm not sure if that is weak or not.

gulfsurfer101

Not yet, just feeding the tank, my anemones, & coral. Not sure if the fish eat them but my sgt major seems to go full retard when I throw them in. I kinda hate that fish and was banished to sump in my last set up but he over grew it. My gf doesn't want me to get rid of it cause we raised her from a post larval state along with four others. She killed the others and claimed dominancy but earned her spot in the fuge. I plan on doing a macro tank possibly, where she can reside leaving me more space to stock up my 75 with better options. I'm also looking into culturing pods for my dragonets as soon as I get a strong phyto culture going. I don't want to take on too much at once and have any of my systems that rely on one another crash. Slow and easy, not trying to win the race, just running the marathon!

jedimasterben

I can always cut off from the bottom. What would your suggest. I still may plumb another 40br into this system also though. But that won't be till maybe another year down the line.

How much is the most you plan on feeding the tank? Sizing is only based on nutrient import. :)

gulfsurfer101

I plan on dumping nutrients into this thing by the truck load. That's one of the reasons I went big, and I'm only lighting one side atm. I might add a second one if I feel the need to. I'm actually feeding live rotifers daily and phytoplankton along with them with some golden pearls 5-50 microns. I want to be able to export anything I toss in that my skimmer is not able to pull out.

I'm also running a deep sand bed in my fuge section of my sump.

gulfsurfer101

Thought I had posted this here. I came across the most strangest creature when I was collecting water to fill my tank after my most recent move! It was pretty cool.

Octopus caught in the gulf of mexico!:

• 2 weeks later...
gulfsurfer101

20150516_175755_zpsokrwjdwd.jpg

20150516_175619_zpsggfkewuq.jpg

I have no idea how to make thumbnail pics, lol. If anyone cares to help me that would be cool.

Thought I had posted this here. I came across the most strangest creature when I was collecting water to fill my tank after my most recent move! It was pretty cool.

Octopus caught in the gulf of mexico!:

Cool! I've caught a few in a nearby Harbor Seal reserve!

My scrubber is starting to do stuff!

20150515_180923_zpswx1z1yol.jpg

Randoms

20150515_114327_zpsegvxalcj.jpg

20150515_114352_zpsygq6gy0q.jpg

20150515_114235_zpshkojpkmd.jpg

20150515_114303_zpswafpm867.jpg

20150515_181352_zpsmqyht1du.jpg

20150515_181324_zpsrf9tg3ym.jpg

Tank looks really nice!

gulfsurfer101

Thanks, it's getting there. I'm loving the way all my coral is starting to color up. I'm thinking feeding live foods everyday is what's doing it.

What kind of cephlapods did you find. I'd freak out if I found a pacific giant.

Thanks, it's getting there. I'm loving the way all my coral is starting to color up. I'm thinking feeding live foods everyday is what's doing it.

What kind of cephlapods did you find. I'd freak out if I found a pacific giant.

Nah, those guys aren't in the shallows, these were similar to the ones you found, relatively small.

Archived