Coral Vue Hydros

Nualgi additive review and testing...

Islandoftiki

rolyat113

Lights out for 3 days, water change on either side of it. Fresh GFO.

This is what I'm doing as soon as my media basket and purigen arrive. I'll let it sit with the purigen first to make sure it doesn't hurt anything, but then lights out, and big water changes.

GoingPostal

I don't know if it's finally kicking in or what but 4 doses in my cyano is actually gone, it usually takes back over my sandbed within a night of clearing it out and completely covers it within 2 days. It's been 5 days since last water change and my sandbed is gloriously white. Hair algae still growing a bit. Glass seems clearer, tank looks cloudy sometimes in the mornings though. Corals don't seem to care either way. If anything I should be working against it, am feeding way more often because of new additions and running my light longer. Been doing large weekly water changes as well but that has always been the norm. We'll see, I think I started fighting cyao in Nov and have tried just about everything else to get rid of it so figured I would give this a shot.

Maybe I should dose more than I have been

Also with respect to people finding that their alk dropped. I found this in their FAQ

As Nualgi produces food for corals, it leads to coral growth and polyp extension. Corals also stay open longer when using Nualgi. This increases the demand for Calcium in tanks with a large number of hard and soft corals. This can throw off the pH and dKH levels as they are inter-connected with Calcium. We recommend that for such tanks, Calcium levels should be carefully monitored and boosted when necessary.

As Nualgi produces food for corals, it leads to coral growth and polyp extension. Corals also stay open longer when using Nualgi. This increases the demand for Calcium in tanks with a large number of hard and soft corals. This can throw off the pH and dKH levels as they are inter-connected with Calcium. We recommend that for such tanks, Calcium levels should be carefully monitored and boosted when necessary.

^ I'm surprised they told me that purigen was the culprit.

frankdontsurf

it doesn't need to be kept in the fridge

You think a few drops a day would increase feeding response and pod production?

I want more pods.

I use a lot of Seachem Fuel and Coral Frenzy..

Red_Blenny

Maybe I should dose more than I have been

Also with respect to people finding that their alk dropped. I found this in their FAQ

I have a feeling that this is similar to VSV dosing, except that Nualgi also includes some sort of coral food in it (which reminds me of ZeoVit + Coral Food).

I guess instead of bacteria dosing, it's silica dosing. Either way, I have my bottle and I'm curious about it too.

Nanofreak79

Lighting is not the cause of the problem, just a band aid. I do weekly and sometimes twice weekly WC's. I have a two week schedule for media replacement.

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

Is anyone with a small tank (5-15gallon) dosing one drop a day?

I'm dosing 0.1 ml twice a week in my nuvo 8. Haven't noticed any changes that I would attribute directly to nualgi. I guess I could try a drop daily, it would work out to be about the same.

One issue with smaller tanks - and this happens in the lab, too - is that at some point, you can't get enough of anything that is usable in the dose. For example, 0.1ml is really small. Unless you have a calibrated pipette, you could be using even less. That may not make a big difference in some cases, but if you don't resuspend the nualgi well enough, you might not be putting anything other than water into your tank. The math says it should work, but at some point, you don't have enough of the actual supplement to have any benefit.

Not saying that this is actually the case here, but it is something us <10g users should be thinking about.

• Like 1

My nualgi bottle is nearly empty. I had a good run of diatoms, which in turn probably made my CUC very happy. But other than that I have actually seen an increase in undesirable algae. I think in the right system nualgi would work, for example a system that is new or experiencing a crazy outbreak of something bad. At that point it doesn't hurt to try nualgi to see if the tank moves in a different direction.

Ill give my thoughts as ive been using it for nearly a month. While i didnt have much nuisance algae to begin with I appreciate the occasional diatom blooms brought about by using this product I have a fighting conch as well as numerous cerith snails and I often worry they dont have enough to eat. The blooms created from this product keep them well fed. Other than that I cant say ive seen any other discernible effects....positive or negative.

• Like 3

To add to that: I dosed a couple of drops in my newly started pico and it went boom with diatoms. At that point I put in a Trocus (sp?) and a nerite, already had 2 florida ceriths in there. Pretty much overnight the tank was so sparkling clean it was as if I had poured bleach in it. Of course there was a lot of poop on the floor of the tank and because circulation and filtration in this pico is not ideal, I had to manually siphon it out.

I've dosed this stuff for just over a month. I have had the blooms, but have also not seen any other affects, positive or negative. I have had more hair algae, but that's probably not completely caused by nualgae. I added an Intank media basket last night with filter floss and purigen last night. I will no longer be dosing this starting this weekend with my weekly water change. It was a good try, but I guess nanoparticles just aren't the miracle.

• 5 years later...