Coral Vue Hydros

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

Yeah, it will keep growing, it seems to spring up everywhere and anywhere.

So do I leave the nems in there or put them back in the 34? I don't want more stress on them. So do I treat the tank w/ them in it? Buy the Kent stuff and do what it says? So far this tank has not been Rockin'!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nanofreak79

I agree. It's such a small thing to just remove a rock not being used. Yes you could treat it, but it's easier to replace it.

The tech m is harmless. Some say inverts are affected, but I've never had that issue in the three times I've used it.

Your sand looks so soft.

That's not bryopsis. Or at least not the "bad" bryopsis. I've had that grow with each KPA live rock order I've made. It goes away after a few weeks.

Your sand looks so soft.

That's not bryopsis. Or at least not the "bad" bryopsis. I've had that grow with each KPA live rock order I've made. It goes away after a few weeks.

Really? I never had it w/ my 34 order. So you think I should just put the rock back in? I saw some pieces just dangling off the glass too. And a little on the sand.

Moving the nem's out of the tank won't harm them. No idea how they handle high Mg though.

I would peroxide the effected rock.

Moving the nem's out of the tank won't harm them. No idea how they handle high Mg though.

I would peroxide the effected rock.

I just didn't want to be moving them back n' forth and stress them.

What's the procedure? straight peroxide? like pour it over the rock or let it sit in it overnight? I better put it back in the tank for now because I don't have enough peroxide.

Really? I never had it w/ my 34 order. So you think I should just put the rock back in? I saw some pieces just dangling off the glass too. And a little on the sand.

That's the exact same experience I had with it. On the glass and on the sand. It may be a type of bryopsis, but I haven't seen it since the initial outbreak at the very beginning of the setup.

If you like the rock, I would use it :).

That's the exact same experience I had with it. On the glass and on the sand. It may be a type of bryopsis, but I haven't seen it since the initial outbreak at the very beginning of the setup.

If you like the rock, I would use it :).

I'm going to see what happens the next couple weeks w/ it and keep it in there. I can pull it off, it brakes off in pieces, seems very delicate, flowy. I have 3 astreas, maybe they'll eat it. I do also have 2 trochus snails coming. Maybe they'll eat it.

I'm going to see what happens the next couple weeks w/ it and keep it in there. I can pull it off, it brakes off in pieces, seems very delicate, flowy. I have 3 astreas, maybe they'll eat it. I do also have 2 trochus snails coming. Maybe they'll eat it.

I don't know if anything ate mine. Seems like it just started disintegrating and disappeared. I'm sure yours will do the same since it looks exactly the same as what I had :).

Ok, I'll just do as you did and see what happens. I'd like to go the easy way first.

If it doesn't then I'll buy some peroxide and Tech M and find out what I have to do.

Ok, I'll just do as you did and see what happens. I'd like to go the easy way first.

If it doesn't then I'll buy some peroxide and Tech M and find out what I have to do.

I bet peroxide would wipe it out really easily. I wouldn't even bother with the Tech M. The algae is so wispy and fragile/feathery from my experience.

I bet peroxide would wipe it out really easily. I wouldn't even bother with the Tech M. The algae is so wispy and fragile/feathery from my experience.

I worry about doing that too because there is some green macro on it that looks nice.

I worry about doing that too because there is some green macro on it that looks nice.

Just wait it out...it will go away on it's own :).
lnglostsurfer

I've had good luck with peroxide in the past. Essentially just get a container big enough for the rock, mix in about 3 parts salt water to 1 part peroxide, drop in the rock, and wait for the bubbles to stop. Just make sure you get a toothbrush and try to scrub off the algae so you don't have that extra dead matter in your tank to spike your nitrate cycle.

Otherwise the tank looks fantastic!! I'm still jealous of your rock flowers, they have such awesome colors. I think I'm running out of room for one though in my little 5.5.....time to upgrade! (Maybe)

Well, I put my skimmer in. Red flow valve on OFF and water just raising quickly and up n' over it went, and out too!. So my first thought was that I need to raise it out of the water some. FlCandi gave me the great suggestion of raising it with the lid of a styrofoam shipping container. Fantastic idea, I have one that's 3/4 and the other is like 2. We'll see what I need.

It was a tight squeeze getting the skimmer in in the first place because of the sock holder. One screw unscrews the holder, the other one is not so it was really tight. It seemed like Righty Tighty and Lefty Lucy was not working on the left screw so I kinda bent the sock in for a moment . I'll have to take it out to put the foam in but I'll go do that in just a moment. I'll start w/ the 2 inch and see how that goes. And just to make sure, the direction of OFF means you're closing the volume of water going through, correct?

Oh, and I did feed them all today some raw thawed shrimp. Some that haven't put there foot down may now- majority haven't but I noticed again today some skirts were more relaxed and not hiked up. Funny how some were trying to close over the niblet of shrimp but at the same time didn't have their foot down so balance was kinda off. Hoping the feeding makes them realize this is their new home.

Going to the basement breeder now to try out the styrofoam for size then I'll come back up and try w/ the shot glass Ice cube I made to loosen a nem (yeah, we'll just try one for now, unless I'm quickly successful) And if I'm frustrated at trying, the shot glass may have to get filled w/ some goodness.

So, the 3/4" worked. Question though about skimming. I've not had a large skimmer like this so in breaking it in, how high up should I have the bubbles? And, do you keep the black cap on or off the little silencer? And if you use the extra little pipe for overflow, do you keep the black cap on or off?

Ok, so ice cube just melted so fast it didn't make a difference in the foot of the rock nem. Touching it I made the whole nem smaller and more compact but it didn't assist the way I preferred.

And appears I have like 3 nems w/ their feet down, some of the others are like just sitting there fallen over on the side. We'll see what happens. I have the skimmer on and I'm making water tomorrow after work for a 20% water change on Saturday. I also put the blues to 100% except for the 1 percent moon, previously had them 50 -75%. The blues on the Kessil I always had on 100% regardless so I figured that was the only change I made. I turned the flow on the pump just a touch higher as I can't put WP-25 yet on low even as they act like tumble weeds and slowly levitate and roll away. Yes, this tank is so rockin' I have levitating nems folks!!

PIctures! still working on trying to take good ones under this light.

The skimmer since put in this time yesterday. There's not much in there obviously as it's such a new tank but it found something. Of course the skimmer is brand spanking too clean. Yeah, it was probably too much of the cyclopeeze i put in there. Nems were only fed twice so far.

008_zps2e8babe4.jpg

Some of the algae growth- some is macro but the other is the light wispy stuff. I wonder what made the difference that I didn't get it in my 34?

010_zpse8f44c5c.jpg

011_zpsa0cbb2b0.jpg

The 16 nems. Appears 3 now have stuck to the bottom. Slowly but surely and it's the bigger ones that have latched on. And soon I hope to have better pics. And nope, I was not the purchaser of the $199 nem from VIPReef the other day.

012_zps6445a36c.jpg

Need some sort of fishy in there for movement.

Exactly, thinking of what still. I want to take advantage of that long swimming space. I don't know if I want something like 4-5 of those really blue chromis or long and snaky like a midas blenny, and of course I'll have to make cover. I bought a kit for my 34 but looking at the size of the box I think I bought the wrong one and can make one for the 60 and maybe have leftover for the 34.

Making progress! 8 nems have now decided to "stick" around. I don't know if it was just time or lighting or something in the water that was skimmed out? Here's a 48 hrs later after skimmer turned on- not bad for new skimmate. Seems to me like it's doing a great job of breaking in.

002_zpsc30af296.jpg

Also, I removed 3 more nems from the 34; that now makes 19 in the breeder. The yellow and blue/purple one, the peach, and the little one that Gena likes w/ the pink outside were transplanted. I looked into my little frag kit and found a tool that looks like scissors but it's blunt at the end, pretty much for grabbing something and yanking it out. I wedged it under a little piece of skin and just kinda moved it slowly back n' forth until it gave in a little w/ each swipe and I was able to slowly pry it off. I'll try show some pics tonight once it clears up a little.

Now I only have the psychedlic 2 tone green and the rainbow and the red one to move. All others I'm going to leave in there. The gold rimmed one will stay behind as well. As they grow larger I can always redecide, switch them around. I was undecided about the white mama initially but I'm sentimental about her because she has the tiny baby nearby and I just think it would be more special if they stayed together. As much as I know she's female and is of breeding size, I'd like to keep her in the 34. I don't want to separate them. Gee Whiz, good thing this is about nems and not puppies. Could you imagine how many puppies I'd have if I couldn't move one? ha ha. :P

I'm still learning how to take pics under the Razor. It's not dark like it looks on the sides, not as bright as in the middle but the contrast isn't so pronounced either. I'll move the rocks to each side though. I'll be putting babies more towards the outsides since they'll be more sensitive.

007_zps45469136.jpg

OK, I"m getting better but I still have to have the whites on 100% while the blue is on like 15%.

Going to see my babies!

124_zps40b00ede.jpg

082_zps49173b27.jpg

087_zps3ab1c205.jpg

088_zps4da9e8d7.jpg

110_zps47e3ac6b.jpg

115_zps27d033ac.jpg

Turned off the pump for pics and then started it up, this trochus had to hold on for this rough ride in the beginning.

118_zpsdd7d6238.jpg

Thank you for visiting! Please do come again! and hopefully I'll be able to tell you tomorrow that 2-3 more have become grounded.

bdevillier19

looks really good. i've been tossing around the idea of doing a 7.5 cube with all rock nems but all of a sudden it seems everyone is out of stock. now i know why! :D

looks really good. i've been tossing around the idea of doing a 7.5 cube with all rock nems but all of a sudden it seems everyone is out of stock. now i know why! :D

We only have 2 lfs here and they don't carry rock flowers and the only place I buy VIP Reef because the quality, color, and selection, patterns are incredible. Many times though I like the mid-range better than the higher priced ones.

Archived