Cultivated Reef

best biopellets for a reactor

Angel<3Nanos

Angel<3Nanos

What brand works well for you while using biopellets?

Just bought the MR1 Shorty Reactor and I'm trying to decide what to use.

Thx :happydance:

I use BRS pellets. Theyre pure PHA and are relatively inexpensive. Seem to work pretty well but ive never used anything else and am still fairly new to biopellets so take it with a grain of salt.

Angel<3Nanos

I use BRS pellets. Theyre pure PHA and are relatively inexpensive. Seem to work pretty well but ive never used anything else and am still fairly new to biopellets so take it with a grain of salt.

How are your No3 and Po4 with BRS pellets?

I got this set : (pump, pipe, etc)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11586 and using this pellets http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23764

This is my first reactor so really not sure if these are good they are...and not sure how well they are working. However, my No3 and Po4 are withing parameters and corals/fishes are doing well

I thought about TLF NPX as well. How long have you been using them?

NO3 less than .06 PPM (undetectable on my red sea pro kit) PO4 .02-.04 PPM

4 months now ... I also use Purigen and Chemipure elite

Nanofreak79

I'm using the two little fishies brand. I don't see any issues with them. I'm about 2-3 months in. I'm also still using gfo and carbon. I dose microbacter and reef biofuel too. Along with some elos and blue bottles.

Angel<3Nanos

NO3 less than .06 PPM (undetectable on my red sea pro kit) PO4 .02-.04 PPM

Dang! That sounds great! Might look into it! :)

4 months now ... I also use Purigen and Chemipure elite

My LFS sells it so I might go take a look! ;)

I'm using the two little fishies brand. I don't see any issues with them. I'm about 2-3 months in. I'm also still using gfo and carbon. I dose microbacter and reef biofuel too. Along with some elos and blue bottles.

Dang! Dosing pro righ hurrr!! :)

How often do you guys change your pellets??

Dang! That sounds great! Might look into it! :)

My LFS sells it so I might go take a look! ;)Dang! Dosing pro righ hurrr!! :)

How often do you guys change your pellets??

You dont change pellets, you just replace them as they dissolve over the course of months. easiest thing to do is mark a spot on your reactor, when your pellets fall below that line you add a bit more.

Angel<3Nanos

You dont change pellets, you just replace them as they dissolve over the course of months. easiest thing to do is mark a spot on your reactor, when your pellets fall below that line you add a bit more.

Oh darn! See I didn't know that! Lol

I'm excited! Picking up some pellets next week and setting up my reactor. Finally.

Angel<3Nanos
if the tank is established without using them then add them slowly and work your way up to your total amount.

I stopped testing for No3 and Po4, then I felt bad and ordered a red sea test kit lol. I will start using bio pellets according to my results.

Archived