NEED HELP

alexm

i have a 20g reef tank it has been up for about a week. i have a pumping xenia zoanthids and 2 green chromis i used. i used nitrifieng bacteria but my xenia just closed up for no reason i moved him to a less light and less flow area he opened up a little and my zoas closed they arent opening up that much what sould i do. what are the normal ammonia nitrite nitrate levels during cycling of the tank.

Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all spike throughout the cycle, for the most part, in that order. How must each spike is dependant on the tank, rock, sand, die-off, and other factors. Basically, there is no normal amount as every tank is different. One thing always remains the same, you should not have anything alive in the tank during the cycle. While xenia and zoas are generally pretty hardy, there is a good chance that they will not survive through the cycle once the ammonia and nitrite spikes.

Lilies & Lace

I would take the corals and fish back to whomever you bought them from. There is a very good chance they will die if they stay in your tank.

ph 8.0

ammonia .25-.50

phosphate 0.25

nitrite 20 ppm

nitrate 20 ppm

my green chromis are hard to catch

im switching to my ipad so if it says im offline dont mind it

What will cause the. Ammonia and nitrite to spike

ph 8.0

ammonia .25-.50

phosphate 0.25

nitrite 20 ppm

nitrate 20 ppm

my green chromis are hard to catch

im switching to my ipad so if it says im offline dont mind it

What will cause the. Ammonia and nitrite to spike

Read THIS. Waste from your fish as well as die off from rocks and your sand cause the ammonia to spike. Bacteria in the tank have to build up to be able to take those levels, and that is what the cycle is for. Like was already posted, it would be prudent to return the living things now in your tank, to who they came from. Then wait several weeks doing weekly testing until the cycle is complete. I am also a newb, and the biggest advice I can give is read read read. When you're tired of reading, read some more.

I have nitrates in the tank and all of the bacteria already

if you register nitrites and ammonia, your biological filter isnt fully set up, your risking the lives of everything in the tank right now,

then basically you dont have bio filter set up, see if you can buy some fully cured live rock to help speed up the process, or find a fellow reefer and im sure they would be happy to bag some live sand, thats the best thing you can do

I have mitre fling bacteria

Nitrifying

if you had enough, you wouldnt be getting ammonia or nitrite readings, nitrifying bacteria takes ammonia and converts it to nitrites, another set of bacteria converts nitrites to nitrates. these bacteria takes time to build to sufficient levels. did you add bottled bacteria?

I have a 20g I need to add two capfuls of bacteria every day

What you need to do is stop trying to throw chemicals at your tank and adding things to it because you don't seem to know what you are doing.

Start reading on how a saltwater tank cycles and the cycle process, you can find that in this forum. It is WAY to early for you to be adding fish and corals to your tank. The more crap you try to throw in there and more you try to rush it the more you will kill and more money you will lose out on.

Best suggestion we can give you is start reading, if you have a question use the "Search" option in the upper right on the forums and just type what question you have in there. You will find MANY posts with people who have had the same questions and gotten several answers on how to do things.

What you need to do is stop trying to throw chemicals at your tank and adding things to it because you don't seem to know what you are doing.

Start reading on how a saltwater tank cycles and the cycle process, you can find that in this forum. It is WAY to early for you to be adding fish and corals to your tank. The more crap you try to throw in there and more you try to rush it the more you will kill and more money you will lose out on.

Best suggestion we can give you is start reading, if you have a question use the "Search" option in the upper right on the forums and just type what question you have in there. You will find MANY posts with people who have had the same questions and gotten several answers on how to do things.

+1 thats the best option, I probably should have been clearer with my instructions

I am not trying to be rude, but I am thinking you need a different way to explain what you are doing.

Your Fish/coral are like a puppy you just brought home in a nice clean cage. Only you do not let it out so as it creates waste it has to live in it. Added to that your filter is not mature (like the flies and worms in your yard) To attempt to "help" you are adding waste to it along with some cleaners. The end result will likely be death as the ammonia raises to a level that the living creatures in your tank can't breath....similar to the cat hoarders that can't keep up and the rescue personnel have to wear gas masks to enter a building and have to leave just to get oxygen.

NOW, you can find people/references to those that cycle with a fish. However, they EXPECT that fish to die and count it as lucky if it doesn't. Not a humane thing to due for most of us.

Remove fish/coral would be best IMO and read more in the month that a good cycle should take starting from dead rock and sand.

I don't want to do a fish less cycle and I don't want to add any live rock or live sand I don't want any pests like aphasia and other crap. And I don't wanna add any ammonia. I will be taking the coral out and one fish leaving one fish in for an ammonia source after I don't get readings for ammonia nitrite I will add them back in. That's my gameplay I think

It's just a 5 dollar blue chromis

I don't want to do a fish less cycle and I don't want to add any live rock or live sand I don't want any pests like aphasia and other crap. And I don't wanna add any ammonia. I will be taking the coral out and one fish leaving one fish in for an ammonia source after I don't get readings for ammonia nitrite I will add them back in. That's my gameplay I think

It's just a 5 dollar blue chromis

So basically what you just said to everyone trying to help you is you don't care, you will go at it any way you want and hope for the best. You don't cycle with a fish in the tank. WHY you might ask? Number 1 reason is it is cruel beyond belief to that animal but the other reason is ICH, all fish can be carriers of the disease and stress can bring it out and cause it to start/breed. So like having fish alive during a cycle being basically tortured can cause that outbreak. And once you get ICH in a marine tank you basically have to let it fallow for 8-12 weeks but I'm sure you won't listen to that either.

Your ignorance with this keeping a fish during a cycle despite multiple people trying to help you is a slap in the face. Good luck to your rush job reef. "Thats my gameplay I think"

Archived