inTank Media Baskets

Nanofreaks >1 of softness

Nanofreak79

Nanofreak79
What size heatsink are you using ? 4"x4" ?

Heatsink is 3x3. It's just a flat piece, about 1/2" thick stock aluminum block

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you figured out if the powerhead is putting out enough heat to keep the tank warm ? Can't wait for those polyps to open up,this thing is going to be bad ass.

Nanofreak79

Yeah, the power head is what's keeping the tank warm. I'm planning on a RKL to help with the heater issue. Hopefully that way throughout the year it will allow for better control.

Nanofreak79

Yes they all opened up, except the aog's closed a little. The aog's came from a pretty shady spot in my main tank. I think that's why. I also added three small clove polyps that were just sitting in the sand of my 34 as well.

I've got a place lined up for an order on a soft coral pack. Just need more $$$$$$

Yeah I think the smallest adjustable heater is the Hydor Theo right ? Yeah the betta heater is super small. I think it'll fit in a AC50,hopefully it does lol and I have. Few timers if needed. My girlfriends room stays on the warmer side which I hate but the tank will love it.

I'll have to look into that heater. I know the Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 25W is fairly small and controllable; it is extremly reliable, but 25W is way over kill for even 5 gallons unless you keep the room in the low 60's. $40+ for it feels hard to justify on something so small too.

I've got the 30W (or 60W, all three are the same size) in a Whisper 10 or 20 on my girlfriend's planted freshwater. Just trimmed a corner of the lid slightly for the cord. Depending on how you set up the media basket, you may be able to angle it from the inlet tube section into the media section if it won't stand up in the media section, which I think is deep enough to keep the heater fully submerged. You should hve options with that setup.

Nanofreak79

Cobalt makes a nano 5 watt heater that's 5"x1"x1"

I just looked at my tank, and it's up to 79* so basically it's been between 76-79. We're still using furnace and space heaters etc. I'll have to see how things pan out, but it seems fairly stable. This is with no heater.

Update on the corals I placed. They have all adjusted nicely and are open and happy. Added some clove polyps too.

Nanofreak79
I would think if its between 76-79 with just softies,you wouldnt need a heater ?

Yeah, I'm thinking it'll be ok how it is. Everything is happy at this point.

If it dips below 73 or below,that's when I'd probably be looking for a heater lol.

What inverts/cuc do you plan to keep or you doing to do all that jazz yourself ( cleaning rocks,glass,epuipment ) ?

Nanofreak79

I just ordered a CUC from reef cleaners for my 34 and new tank. I'll probably put in a small cerith and do other algae scraping, cleaning myself. For inverts I'm deciding on sexy shrimp or a Pom Pom crab. I like both and have those in my 34. I have a male and female Pom that keeps knocking up the female. She's always full off bright red eggs. I'm open to suggestions though.

I just ordered a CUC from reef cleaners for my 34 and new tank. I'll probably put in a small cerith and do other algae scraping, cleaning myself. For inverts I'm deciding on sexy shrimp or a Pom Pom crab. I like both and have those in my 34. I have a male and female Pom that keeps knocking up the female. She's always full off bright red eggs. I'm open to suggestions though.

Zoanthid eating nudi breeding project. :P

I really like the pompom idea. Sexies are awesome but everyone does them. What about glass-anenome shrimp?

Nanofreak79
lol why do you need some of my AOG's when you have some in there?
Cause I collect. Those are a super dark morph....hard to tell maybe. I have some that are bright too. If you don't want to sell that's cool. Yours are going in my zoa tank.

Zoanthid eating nudi breeding project. :PI really like the pompom idea. Sexies are awesome but everyone does them. What about glass-anenome shrimp?
I'm having trouble finding a good place to find cool inverts. Ideas?

Cause I collect. Those are a super dark morph....hard to tell maybe. I have some that are bright too. If you don't want to sell that's cool. Yours are going in my zoa tank.

I'm having trouble finding a good place to find cool inverts. Ideas?

was referring to it as a joke... hard to tell via internet though i guess.

Nanofreak79
was referring to it as a joke... hard to tell via internet though i guess.
I'm hoping to pick up a camera later in late April, I'll see if that works out.

Ice how's your bloodshot doing?

I'm not sure what, but I had a couple melters from PZ this week :(

what melted?

have not been active and not caught up on everything, had 280+ notifications and was like omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg whats happening!!

Nanofreak79

IDK, I need to take stock. I moved my T5 lower a few days ago....bad idea I guess. One is totally gone and two there's are just tiny pinhead nubins. I also had some bad algae that came in on some frags that I had to dip in peroxide. One of those frags actually came back today! The other looks like it might make it. It was basically choking out the polyps. Not GHA, but feathery type algae.

IDK, I need to take stock. I moved my T5 lower a few days ago....bad idea I guess. One is totally gone and two there's are just tiny pinhead nubins. I also had some bad algae that came in on some frags that I had to dip in peroxide. One of those frags actually came back today! The other looks like it might make it. It was basically choking out the polyps. Not GHA, but feathery type algae.

you know you have a lot of coral when you have to take stock. and im in the same boat as you. fighting some serious cayno

Nanofreak79

Yeah, cyano is a real PITA. I've got frags coming from Glenn this week! 6 I think, can't remember. LOL! He's giving me some of those sps he broke off too. Those will go into my 34.

Yeah, cyano is a real PITA. I've got frags coming from Glenn this week! 6 I think, can't remember. LOL! He's giving me some of those sps he broke off too. Those will go into my 34.

buy those jokers!

Archived