Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MP10 Help...

Bill Nye

I am setting up a brand new MP10 and am in need of some assistance as far as aligning it...

I followed the directions from Ecotech to set it up but haven't had any success. When I align the wetside directly over the dry side it vibrates like crazy and is extremely loud even at the constant speed 1 setting. As I move it away from the center it vibrates less but still seems like something is out of whack. The pump itself has a light whirring noise that from what I've read is normal but I don't think the extreme vibrationcoming from the wetside could be good for the pumps longevity.

Has anyone else experienced this or did I receive a faulty unit? I have this on a 20 gallon long and I am using the rubber spacer. Any help would be appreciated.

edit

I just pulled the wetside out and touched the impeller. Is it supposed to move forward and backwards along the pin? It moves up and down slightly and I am thinking this could be the source of the extreme vibration.

Make sure the propeller is aligned correctly, inspect the ceramic shaft that goes through the middle. You can take it apart by turning the grate it counter clockwise and holding the base of the wetside.

It will make noise at first, there is a break in period and it lessens over time.

Thanks for the reply Steve.

So I took apart the dry side and it looks like everything is aligned properly. When I tip the wetside the impeller will move back and forth but Im not sure if this is what its supposed to do or if it is too lose and this is whats causing the vibration. Do mp10s typically vibrate when until they break in? The noise that I am concerned about isnt coming from the dry side but the wetside. I would imagine the pump is supposed to be aligned so that the dry side and wetside are pretty much over lapping but mine makes less noise when it is improperly aligned...

Ok so Ecotech just called me back and they are sending me a new wetside. They seem to think it is faulty and thats why its so loud. Bummer.

Ok so Ecotech just called me back and they are sending me a new wetside. They seem to think it is faulty and thats why its so loud. Bummer.
That stinks! You have my luck I always get the new broken item.

This is kind of way out but, mine looks off center due to refraction. I center mine based on how it feels in my hand while it's running. Just put in where it runs smoothest, done.

^this. Sounds like you had a faulty wet side either way but when centering dont go off of how it looks, refraction will play havoc with you, just go off of where it vibrates the least.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

As far as telling whether its aligned if you look from directly behind the wet side you can tell whether it is exactly lined up or not just by if the bottom of the wetside is visible no? I had another new mp10 that I bought for my 50 g set up (waiting to move to set it up) so I took the dry side off that one and it doesn't make that crazy vibration anymore. There is definitely a problem with the impeller as it can move way more than the other wetside I have.

Good service by Ecotech sending me out a new wetside today. I was a little worried after calling them and having to leave my name and number but they got back to me probably about 30 minutes later and didn't have any problem supplying me a new wetside.

Archived